FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] Full root with Magisk and DRM fix [UNMAINTAINED]

731 posts
Thanks Meter: 168

By N1ghtr08d, Senior Member on 12th December 2017, 06:05 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Prefix: my xz1 died on me so I was forced to buy a new phone and therefore I won not be maintaining this thread any further. The guide should be relevant even without my help but I just won't be answering any questions regarding this thread or anything to do with the xz1.

YOU DO NEED TO UNLOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER AND THEREFORE WILL LOSE YOUR DRM KEYS!
NONE OF THIS IS MY ORIGINAL WORK BUT MY PROCESS IS ORIGINAL. YOU CAN THANK @modpunk FOR HIS PORT OF TWRP TO THE XZ1 AND YOU CAN THANK @janjan FOR HIS HARD WORK IN CREATING THE FIRST FULLY FUNCTIONAL KERNEL THAT SUPPORTS MAGISK AND STILL OFFERS A WORKING CAMERA AND SONY FEATURES

Here we go.....

1: Download modpunk's port of TWRP from this thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/xpe...3-2-1-t3727602
Make sure to check the dates on the files and always download the latest version.

2: Download Janjan's kernel and DRM package here:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/xpe...-2018-t3739586
Make sure to check the dates on the files and always download the latest version.

3: Enable developer settings and enable ADB Debugging. I shouldn't have to say this part but something tells me if i don't then i'll get loads of questions about not being able to connect to the phone, lol.

4: Connect the phone to your pc and copy the 3 zip files contained in the janjan download to your phone. You don't need to copy the boot.img to your phone.

5: Open a cmd window on your pc and type the following:
adb reboot bootloader

6: Once the pc recognizes the phone in bootloader mode then type:
fastboot flash boot path/to/the/boot.img (I usually just type "fastboot flash boot " and then just drag and drop the boot image into the cmd window.

7: Once the boot image is flashed unplug the cable from the phone then reboot it. Once it's running then make sure the kernel info has changed to say "[email protected] #1

8: Once again, boot into bootloader by running the adb command
adb reboot bootloader

9: Once in the bootloader type into the cmd window:
fastboot flash recovery path/to/the/recovery.img

10: Reboot to system and then power off the phone.

11: Once it's off, boot into TWRP manually by holding the power button + the vol down button until the phone vibrates once, then let go and it'll boot into TWRP.
NOTE: It will ask you for your password to decrypt the data partition. This password is whatever your pin number or password you use on your phone lockscreen. If you don't use any lockscreen security then the password is: default_password.

12: Once in TWRP flash 2-Patching_drm_Su and 3-Magisk and then reboot to system and check that magisk is installed.

13: Finally open magisk and open the Modules section then tap the + icon and locate and flash the last zip 4-kernel_permissive and then reboot the phone and open magisk and check the modules section to ensure the Magisk SELinux Permissive Script is active.

Now you have a fully functional XZ1 with Magisk root and a properly functioning camera and Sony features.
Enjoy!

N1ghtr08d
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to N1ghtr08d For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift N1ghtr08d Ad-Free

12th December 2017, 07:08 PM |#2  
Flag Göteborg
Thanks Meter: 92

More
Sorry.You forgot to flash SR5-SuperSU-v2.82-SR5-20171001224502.zip in TWRP recovery after step 13
Posting not relevant anymore!!!
1:st posting fixed by N1ghtr08d
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pergoteborg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pergoteborg Ad-Free
12th December 2017, 10:39 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dublin

More
Thanks bro. I had edited it and I must have missed putting that back in. Fixing it now
The Following User Says Thank You to N1ghtr08d For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift N1ghtr08d Ad-Free
13th December 2017, 07:28 AM |#4  
Flag 95
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Any try to use Magisk instead of SuperSU ? I need to use some apps witch don't work with root phone.
13th December 2017, 07:45 AM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 5,095

Donate to Me
More
If you turn the phone off, press and hold 'Volume Up' and attach a USB Cable from your PC it will boot into the bootloader. The LED will be blue then ...
13th December 2017, 08:28 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dublin

More
Thanks modpunk, that is very true. I guess my preference is just to use ADB.
As far as magisk is concerned, I believe that none of the magisk releases work with this device. I would prefer to use magisk also so if anyone figures out how to install it successfully without putting the phone in a bootloop, please share it here and I will update this guide. I'd rather have SuperSU than no root at all.
13th December 2017, 08:04 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Dublin

More
Does anybody have any tips for installing Viper4android? I renamed the audioeffects file in System/Vendor/Etc and installed the Nougat test io fix version and when I opened the app and allowed it to update the drivers, everything went well and looked successful, however upon reboot and opening the app to set it up, it just tells me to update the drivers and reboot again and even doing that just lands me back at the same point.
Does anybody know how I can get it installed and running properly?
Coincidentally V4A installs and runs perfectly now that it can be installed through Magisk Manager!
20th December 2017, 01:03 PM |#8  
Flag Brenham, TX.
Thanks Meter: 28

More
What FOTA kernel.img are you referring to? There wasn't one linked in the post, and Sony's fotakernel files are in .sin formats. Flashing just the boot.img linked in your post results in a brick. Flashing the fotakernel_X-FLASH-ALL-C93B.sin included in Sony's firmware also results in a brick. Has anyone got this to work?
20th December 2017, 01:50 PM |#9  
Flag Göteborg

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorftard

What FOTA kernel.img are you referring to? There wasn't one linked in the post, and Sony's fotakernel files are in .sin formats. Flashing just the boot.img linked in your post results in a brick. Flashing the fotakernel_X-FLASH-ALL-C93B.sin included in Sony's firmware also results in a brick. Has anyone got this to work?

Flash boot.img to both boot partition and FOTAKerner partition
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash FOTAKernel boot.img

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 PM ----------

Can I use the aledoom's port of the Andro+ kernel at https://mega.nz/#!00l3mABT!RCuCfvwxR...mNrfWZy_lsq0-U for the new 47.1.A.8.49 release?
21st December 2017, 04:25 PM |#10  
Flag Brenham, TX.
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pergoteborg

Flash boot.img to both boot partition and FOTAKerner partition
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash FOTAKernel boot.img[COLOR="Silver"]

What FOTAKernel boot.img though? Am I supposed to download one from somewhere? It's not in OP or in the Sony firmware that I've downloaded.
21st December 2017, 05:24 PM |#11  
Flag Göteborg

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorftard

What FOTAKernel boot.img though? Am I supposed to download one from somewhere? It's not in OP or in the Sony firmware that I've downloaded.

The link https://mega.nz/#!00l3mABT!RCuCfvwxR...mNrfWZy_lsq0-U is the download link for boot.img

fastboot flash FOTAKernel boot.img
The parameters is:
fastboot - An Android SDK command and library used to communicate with a connected android device
flash - The fastboot command you wish to execute. "fastboot flash" takes two parameters, which are:
FOTAKernel - The partition on the connected phone you want to flash and
boot.img - The file you want to flash into FOTAKernel partition.

In this case is the same file (boot.img) flashed into BOTH boot partition(fastboot flash boot boot.img) and into FOTAKernel partition(fastboot flash FOTAKernel boot.img)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pergoteborg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pergoteborg Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)