[GUIDE] Full root with Magisk and DRM fix [UNMAINTAINED]

Search This thread

leerfish

Dec 22, 2018
Hi @N1ghtr08d, thanks for posting this tutorial. I really want to do this on my XZ1 right right now, but before I do I'd like to know if the process can be reversed without any problems and, if so, how I would go about doing that.

The main reason I would like to root the phone is to uninstall some of the preinstalled apps (like Facebook). I don't necessarily want to leave the phone rooted, although I may depending on how useful it is.

So after following this tutorial, can the phone then be unrooted?

hi, team , me too i did root to unistall some default applications, but when i try to unistall then ( im using root app deleter), a message tell me i need root, even tried to install adaway to block ADS, but the installation falied coz tjhe device is not rooted, strange coz root checker show me the opposite ( root access i properly installed,) i follow the guide without any issue, so what wrong i ve root permission but can't unistall any default application, any suggest?
thanks

lilbrat

Jun 13, 2011
Amman
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
Nothing Phone 2
hi, team , me too i did root to unistall some default applications, but when i try to unistall then ( im using root app deleter), a message tell me i need root, even tried to install adaway to block ADS, but the installation falied coz tjhe device is not rooted, strange coz root checker show me the opposite ( root access i properly installed,) i follow the guide without any issue, so what wrong i ve root permission but can't unistall any default application, any suggest?
thanks

Well. First thing I would suggest is your check apps and see if they are granted su permission. If they are then reboot into TWRP and make sure system partion is checked...

leerfish

Dec 22, 2018
Well. First thing I would suggest is your check apps and see if they are granted su permission. If they are then reboot into TWRP and make sure system partion is checked...

hi checked , applications ve Su permission, and sistem partion is checked, but once a restart and reboot again into TWRP, and go into mount option, sytem partion is unchecked , (without flag) seems its losts this setting when i restart my phone

lilbrat

Jun 13, 2011
Amman
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
Nothing Phone 2
hi checked , applications ve Su permission, and sistem partion is checked, but once a restart and reboot again into TWRP, and go into mount option, sytem partion is unchecked , (without flag) seems its losts this setting when i restart my phone

It will do that for some reason, but use the file manager in twrp to delete the stuff you don't want..

leerfish

Dec 22, 2018
Solved, used bloatware remover free to unistall default programs, and for ads used "MoaAB_ADBlocking_02222018"
now my xz1 dual, its without ads and unnecessary applications,
thanks bro for ur guide u saved my life :D!!
merry christmas!!!

cscomic

Aug 18, 2013
LG V50 ThinQ
Sony Xperia 5
about Android Pie support

Prefix: my xz1 died on me so I was forced to buy a new phone and therefore I won not be maintaining this thread any further. The guide should be relevant even without my help but I just won't be answering any questions regarding this thread or anything to do with the xz1.

YOU DO NEED TO UNLOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER AND THEREFORE WILL LOSE YOUR DRM KEYS!
NONE OF THIS IS MY ORIGINAL WORK BUT MY PROCESS IS ORIGINAL. YOU CAN THANK @modpunk FOR HIS PORT OF TWRP TO THE XZ1 AND YOU CAN THANK @janjan FOR HIS HARD WORK IN CREATING THE FIRST FULLY FUNCTIONAL KERNEL THAT SUPPORTS MAGISK AND STILL OFFERS A WORKING CAMERA AND SONY FEATURES

Here we go.....

1: Download modpunk's port of TWRP from this thread: https://xdaforums.com/xperia-xz1/development/recovery-twrp-3-2-1-t3727602
Make sure to check the dates on the files and always download the latest version.

2: Download Janjan's kernel and DRM package here:
https://xdaforums.com/xperia-xz1/development/kernel-sony-xz1-23-january-2018-t3739586
Make sure to check the dates on the files and always download the latest version.

3: Enable developer settings and enable ADB Debugging. I shouldn't have to say this part but something tells me if i don't then i'll get loads of questions about not being able to connect to the phone, lol.

4: Connect the phone to your pc and copy the 3 zip files contained in the janjan download to your phone. You don't need to copy the boot.img to your phone.

5: Open a cmd window on your pc and type the following:
adb reboot bootloader

6: Once the pc recognizes the phone in bootloader mode then type:
fastboot flash boot path/to/the/boot.img (I usually just type "fastboot flash boot " and then just drag and drop the boot image into the cmd window.

7: Once the boot image is flashed unplug the cable from the phone then reboot it. Once it's running then make sure the kernel info has changed to say "4.4.78-Amjal-Safi-amjalsafi@amjalsafi #1

8: Once again, boot into bootloader by running the adb command
adb reboot bootloader

9: Once in the bootloader type into the cmd window:
fastboot flash recovery path/to/the/recovery.img

10: Reboot to system and then power off the phone.

11: Once it's off, boot into TWRP manually by holding the power button + the vol down button until the phone vibrates once, then let go and it'll boot into TWRP.
NOTE: It will ask you for your password to decrypt the data partition. This password is whatever your pin number or password you use on your phone lockscreen. If you don't use any lockscreen security then the password is: default_password.

12: Once in TWRP flash 2-Patching_drm_Su and 3-Magisk and then reboot to system and check that magisk is installed.

13: Finally open magisk and open the Modules section then tap the + icon and locate and flash the last zip 4-kernel_permissive and then reboot the phone and open magisk and check the modules section to ensure the Magisk SELinux Permissive Script is active.

Now you have a fully functional XZ1 with Magisk root and a properly functioning camera and Sony features.
Enjoy!

N1ghtr08d

I think this cannot suppot Android Pie, because DRM Fix not support it yet

kekspups

Nov 17, 2019
Anyone tested this yet with the newest build? (47.2.A.11.228) Does it work? Really hard to find uptodate things on how to root a xz1...

lilbrat

Jun 13, 2011
Amman
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
Nothing Phone 2
Anyone tested this yet with the newest build? (47.2.A.11.228) Does it work? Really hard to find uptodate things on how to root a xz1...

As you can see this is rather old..hence the "unmaintained" in the title.. So give us a bit of info, are you still in stock form, or did you take time to backup your drm keys or do you go straight to unlocking your bootloader?

kekspups

Nov 17, 2019
As you can see this is rather old..hence the "unmaintained" in the title.. So give us a bit of info, are you still in stock form, or did you take time to backup your drm keys or do you go straight to unlocking your bootloader?

Im still on stock with the firmware 47.2.A.11.228 and everything is just really complicated to me as I havent had any experience with rooting yet. I have read that backing up the drm keys isnt necessary anymore because the camera still works when rooting on pie. I havent unlocked the bootloader yet because im still trying to find a uptodate instruction on how to root the xz1 properly but everything is unfortunately outdated... would be very thankful if you could tell me how I can root this phone!

lilbrat

Jun 13, 2011
Amman
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
Nothing Phone 2
Im still on stock with the firmware 47.2.A.11.228 and everything is just really complicated to me as I havent had any experience with rooting yet. I have read that backing up the drm keys isnt necessary anymore because the camera still works when rooting on pie. I havent unlocked the bootloader yet because im still trying to find a uptodate instruction on how to root the xz1 properly but everything is unfortunately outdated... would be very thankful if you could tell me how I can root this phone!

Ok, first thing you need to do is get your driver's installed adb and fastboot and you phone gets recognized..
Now, you do want to backup your drm keys , granted it may not be needed for the camera but you will lose your video image ehancement and sound stuff so read through j4nn's op and follow the attached guide (all credits to the author) .. yell if you have a question ..

alviantoadi

Oct 17, 2017
are work in xz1 701so

Prefix: my xz1 died on me so I was forced to buy a new phone and therefore I won not be maintaining this thread any further. The guide should be relevant even without my help but I just won't be answering any questions regarding this thread or anything to do with the xz1.

NONE OF THIS IS MY ORIGINAL WORK BUT MY PROCESS IS ORIGINAL. YOU CAN THANK @modpunk FOR HIS PORT OF TWRP TO THE XZ1 AND YOU CAN THANK @janjan FOR HIS HARD WORK IN CREATING THE FIRST FULLY FUNCTIONAL KERNEL THAT SUPPORTS MAGISK AND STILL OFFERS A WORKING CAMERA AND SONY FEATURES

Here we go.....

1: Download modpunk's port of TWRP from this thread: https://xdaforums.com/xperia-xz1/development/recovery-twrp-3-2-1-t3727602

https://xdaforums.com/xperia-xz1/development/kernel-sony-xz1-23-january-2018-t3739586

3: Enable developer settings and enable ADB Debugging. I shouldn't have to say this part but something tells me if i don't then i'll get loads of questions about not being able to connect to the phone, lol.

4: Connect the phone to your pc and copy the 3 zip files contained in the janjan download to your phone. You don't need to copy the boot.img to your phone.

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flash boot path/to/the/boot.img (I usually just type "fastboot flash boot " and then just drag and drop the boot image into the cmd window.

7: Once the boot image is flashed unplug the cable from the phone then reboot it. Once it's running then make sure the kernel info has changed to say "4.4.78-Amjal-Safi-amjalsafi@amjalsafi #1

adb reboot bootloader

11: Once it's off, boot into TWRP manually by holding the power button + the vol down button until the phone vibrates once, then let go and it'll boot into TWRP.
NOTE: It will ask you for your password to decrypt the data partition. This password is whatever your pin number or password you use on your phone lockscreen. If you don't use any lockscreen security then the password is: default_password.

12: Once in TWRP flash 2-Patching_drm_Su and 3-Magisk and then reboot to system and check that magisk is installed.

13: Finally open magisk and open the Modules section then tap the + icon and locate and flash the last zip 4-kernel_permissive and then reboot the phone and open magisk and check the modules section to ensure the Magisk SELinux Permissive Script is active.

Now you have a fully functional XZ1 with Magisk root and a properly functioning camera and Sony features.
Enjoy!

N1ghtr08d
are it works for xz1 701so?

colch17

Oct 27, 2023
still confusing why is there a 2 link, wheres the drm file specifically, and where is the kernel file ?? because too many boot.img file in there

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Here we go.....

adb reboot bootloader

adb reboot bootloader

Enjoy!

N1ghtr08d

Ok, first thing you need to do is get your driver's installed adb and fastboot and you phone gets recognized..
    Now, you do want to backup your drm keys , granted it may not be needed for the camera but you will lose your video image ehancement and sound stuff so read through j4nn's op and follow the attached guide (all credits to the author) .. yell if you have a question ..
    That guide you're referring to is an old guide for an old firmware, I have no idea if it works anymore or not.
    If you followed my guide and failed then I promise you you've gone wrong somewhere down the line. You'd be the only person with this phone that the process wouldn't work.
    I finally upgraded to .205 and I had the same issues as you guys reported regarding the permissive kernel so I'm gonna edit the op.
    Thanks for the heads up guys.
    No. I've enough on my plate these days and don't have time to make videos. I wrote the instructions to be as easy to follow as possible. In fact it's easier to follow the written guide since you can copy/paste any of the commands if necessary and you can't do that with a video.
    Sorry.