FORUMS

[Guide] Downgrade XZ2 commpact from Android 10 to 9 locked Bootloader

24 posts
Thanks Meter: 4

By ferluna18, Junior Member on 24th March 2020, 03:39 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Android 10 last build that came out this march solved lots of problems but still had one that was unforgivable for me, the low volume of voice recording while using whatsapp, telegram and messenger, so I looked for a way to make a downgrade to android 9 and without having to unlock bootloader and I found one that worked and want to share with you:

Requirements/materials:
-Sony drivers for your phone (I got them by installing latest version of Sony PC companion)
-New flasher v20 (original thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/cro...-line-t3619426)
-XperiFirm (to download Android 9 firmware.) (you can get it by downloading flashtool or from the original post:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/cro...oader-t2834142)
-flashtool (I used 0.9.27.0 version) https://mega.nz/#!g24hXIQa!L22-invd4...AR1JftRni8G6rA

Instructions:
1-open Xperifirm to download your firmware:
look your phone on the left side, then your specific model (in my case it was H8314, if you dont know your model check in your phone settings) once you selected your phone Xperifirm will show a list of firmwares on the right side, select one of the builds with the number 52.0.A.11.32 on it if you want the latest build of Android 9. In my case 52.0.A.11.32/R3B from chile worked (i´m from mexico). Once you have selected your build then click on the square button that is below of "availanle firmware" and a windows will open and show you two options to download the files, you hit the "Download" button. then another window will open and the program will start downloading your firmware.

Once it`s downloaded you should get this files:
folder example
except the folder that says "Decrypted", I will explain about such folder later.

2-Open Flashtool and Decrypt the firmware files
2.1-select the next options on the menu: Tools>Bundles>FILESET Decrypt
stepd flashtool
2.2-look for the path of the folder in which you downloaded your firmware, and then move to the right the three files you have on the left and click on convert.
flashtool steps
It will take around five minutes to convert all the files, Once flashtool is done with that, it will ask you to create a bundle, click on "cancel" to close the window. So now if you look at the folder where you have the firmware files you got a new folder called "Decrypted" that I mentioned and that you saw in the picture above in step 1, if you open it, it will look like this:
folder example
with a folder called "boot" and another called "partition", and some files as well.
3-Download (if you have not) and extract New flasher v20 in a new folder
(link posted above in the "Requirements/materials" section)
You should get this files:
newflasher v20 files sample

4-Preparing the firmware files:
4.1-open the firmware folder, select and delete all of the .ta files in the main folder.
folder sample
4.2-Now open the ‘boot’ folder within the main firmware folder. There is one .ta file in here called ‘Apollo_XBootConfig_MiscTA‘ that you also need to delete.
(Note: something else instead of "apollo" could be in the name of the file depending on your phone model)
folder sample
4.3-Now the final step in preparing your firmware, is to copy the entire contents of the firmware folder to the Newflasher folder.
folder sample
Once complete, your Newflasher folder should look like something below. The highlighted files are those copied across from your firmware folder.

5-Flash Xperia firmware
If you’ve reached this stage, then that’s the hardest part done. This next section involves the process of actually flashing your Sony Xperia device.
5.1-Connect your Sony Xperia device. Make sure the device is powered off and then hold the ‘volume down’ button whilst connecting the USB cable. You will see the led of your phone turns on and stays on, (that means it entered into flashmode)
5.2-Double click the ‘newflasher’ application as highlighted below.
5.3-A Windows command prompt will now open. It will ask you if you want to perform an optional step (if you need a gordongate flash drive) Type ‘n’ for no and press Enter.
newflasher sample for step 5.2 and 5.3
5.4-newflasher will will ask you again if you want to perform an optional step, (dump trim area) Type ‘n’ for no and press Enter.
5.5-newflasher will ask you if you want to perform another optional step (flash bootloader,bluetooth,dsp,modem,rdimage to booth a,b slots)Type "n" for no and press Enter.
5.6-Your Sony Xperia device will now begin to flash new firmware.
You will see some files going through during the flashing
5.7-newflasher will ask you if you want to perform another optional step(flash persist partition).Type "n" for no and press Enter.
You will see some other files going through the screen
6- Once complete, you will receive a message that “You can disconnect your device when you close newflasher.exe“.
neflasher sample for step 5.6
Congratulations, your Sony Xperia device has now been successfully flashed to new firmware.

7-Disconnect your Xperia device and power on the handset. Don’t worry if it takes a while for the handset to boot, this is to be expected. To confirm that you have upgraded the phone software, click on ‘Settings > About phone’, which will reveal your new Android version and firmware build number.

Final Note:
-some parts of this guide were obtained from here: https://www.xperiablog.net/2018/01/2...-xz1-and-more/
The Following User Says Thank You to ferluna18 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ferluna18 Ad-Free
24th March 2020, 03:49 AM |#2  
OP Junior Member

More
I Did my best to attach good screenshots so the follow of the process could be be easier but I just realized the pictures are very tiny and pixelated, sorry, hopefully you will still understand as everything is explained in a very detailed way. If you know a goos site to attach images that I could use please let me know.
26th March 2020, 12:55 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Oh, no. XperiFirm shows only the Android 10 firmware for H8314 in USA (Verizon). Verizon has no GSM, so Sony tweaked the US model to place calls ONLY over LTE. Where can I find the Android 9 firmware for USA?
26th March 2020, 09:30 PM |#4  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDick

Oh, no. XperiFirm shows only the Android 10 firmware for H8314 in USA (Verizon). Verizon has no GSM, so Sony tweaked the US model to place calls ONLY over LTE. Where can I find the Android 9 firmware for USA?

my thoughts about that are:
1-why are you looking for android 10 in this phone if it has so many bugs?
2does it really needs to be from USA? I dont think thats the only country with such configuration over calls.
and finally: 3- I think that such problem could be solved through configuration? or it has to do with the rom files?
26th March 2020, 09:57 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferluna18

my thoughts about that are:
1-why are you looking for android 10 in this phone if it has so many bugs?
2does it really needs to be from USA? I dont think thats the only country with such configuration over calls.
and finally: 3- I think that such problem could be solved through configuration? or it has to do with the rom files?

Very good questions, thanks.
1. Why Android 10? Several thoughts. (a) the phone keeps bugging me to do it. (b) there may be features in Android 10 that would appear to me. (c) As far as I can tell, Android 9 is no longer getting any security fixes Having had several Android phones in the past that almost never got a security update, I have been pretty smug about my Sony "keeping up".
2. USA? Actually, "Global System for Mobile" (GSM) seems to mean "everybody in the whole planet except US and Japan." The Dual SIM version of the XZ2 Compact doesn't work on Verizon, only the H8413". Not being able to retreat to the "official" Android 9 for Verizon just worries me.
3. Configuration? Not willing to bet that Sony did not bury some code specific to Verizon in the "Official USA" firmware.

I absolutely LOVE this phone. Over the past year, it has become essential to my life. (Reads my diabetic sensor. Monitors my home security system. Keeps track of Amazon packages. Handles my 10 email accounts. Is my kitchen timer. Manages (what's left of) my calendar.) Seems like I pull out the phone at least 20-30 times a day. If I upgrade to Android 10 and it mangles my phone, I will be SO frustrated.

It is a great comfort that these forums have so many capable volunteers. If I start seeing posts, "Hey, I upgraded my Verizon H8413 and it works great!" , then I'll be much more likely to do it. So far, I simply don't see posts like that, only the opposite. And, "there's no way back." (I am sort of kicking myself that I failed to buy a second H8413 when they were on sale everywhere. I could just move the SIM card to it if Android 10 wrecks my current phone. That's how goofy I am. $400 for peace of mind.)
The Following User Says Thank You to UncleDick For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift UncleDick Ad-Free
28th March 2020, 05:04 AM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
I understand, I have noticed something interesting about the update notification thing , I bought my phone on USA (xz2 compact single sim unlocked version) and of course it came with a US firmware so Igot the notification to update to Android 10 but very late, I don't know why, (android 10 March version) and I was hesitant about accepting such update but I did, then everything was okay except voice notes, the thing is that I decided to downgrade using the method I posted in this guide and installed a non US firmware, I have been using such firmware for like two weeks and the update center says that the next Android version is Android 10 but it doesn't give me the fastidious notification telling me that there is a mew update for my phone.
31st March 2020, 08:33 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Hi, in Xperifirm Android 9 for H8324 ist just available as Rom for Saudi Arabia (52.0.A.11.32/R4B). Can I use this Rom for Europe, and is it including german language? Does anybodyknow?

Greetings Odiad
9th April 2020, 08:02 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiad

Hi, in Xperifirm Android 9 for H8324 ist just available as Rom for Saudi Arabia (52.0.A.11.32/R4B). Can I use this Rom for Europe, and is it including german language? Does anybodyknow?

Greetings Odiad

I successfully flashed the Saudi Arabian version 52.0.A.11.32/R4B from XperiFirm onto my XZ2c. There is possibility to choose German as language. My carrier (Tele2 / Sweden) works fine.

I was struggling trying to flash the phone using FlashTool and its .fsc scripts, but when i used newflasher with the advice given in this thread it worked perfectly.

Good luck!

PS. No more unresponsive touchscreen!
14th April 2020, 11:11 AM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyraohms

I successfully flashed the Saudi Arabian version 52.0.A.11.32/R4B from XperiFirm onto my XZ2c. There is possibility to choose German as language. My carrier (Tele2 / Sweden) works fine.

I was struggling trying to flash the phone using FlashTool and its .fsc scripts, but when i used newflasher with the advice given in this thread it worked perfectly.

Good luck!

PS. No more unresponsive touchscreen!

Hi Pyraohms.
-> Just to be sure - you did the downgrade with locked bootloader, correct?
-> And do you have now the update-info for android 10 in notification? Or is updating after downgrade just manually possible (if a perfect Android 10 will appear)?

Edit: I couldn't wait for an answer, because Android 10 annoyed me again. I tried successfully to downgrade with locked bootloader. All went fine. Now on Android 9 again fingerprintsensor works great again without lags..... I forgot how good it feels
14th April 2020, 09:11 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiad

Edit: I couldn't wait for an answer, because Android 10 annoyed me again. I tried successfully to downgrade with locked bootloader. All went fine. Now on Android 9 again fingerprintsensor works great again without lags..... I forgot how good it feels

Nice. Yeah, the fingeprint sensor works much better with A9, but I still get random freezes when unlocking and the screen becomes unresponsive until I hit the power button to lock and then use the sensor to unlock again. Does anybody else experience this?

I will probably send the unit for repair before my warranty is out. Should probably install the nordic version of A10 first though.
21st April 2020, 07:44 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyraohms

Nice. Yeah, the fingeprint sensor works much better with A9, but I still get random freezes when unlocking and the screen becomes unresponsive until I hit the power button to lock and then use the sensor to unlock again. Does anybody else experience this?.

Hi pyraohms. Up to now I haven't had this problem. Not with the original Android 9 (before update to Android 10), and also not after downgrading according to the guide in this thread.
Good luck that you can solve this....
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)