[Guide] Downgrade XZ2 commpact from Android 10 to 9 locked Bootloader

Search This thread

ferluna18

Jan 14, 2019
Android 10 last build that came out this march solved lots of problems but still had one that was unforgivable for me, the low volume of voice recording while using whatsapp, telegram and messenger, so I looked for a way to make a downgrade to android 9 and without having to unlock bootloader and I found one that worked and want to share with you:

Requirements/materials:
-Sony drivers for your phone (I got them by installing latest version of Sony PC companion)
-New flasher v20 (original thread: https://xdaforums.com/crossdevice-dev/sony/progress-newflasher-xperia-command-line-t3619426)
-XperiFirm (to download Android 9 firmware.) (you can get it by downloading flashtool or from the original post:
https://xdaforums.com/crossdevice-dev/sony/pc-xperifirm-xperia-firmware-downloader-t2834142)
-flashtool (I used 0.9.27.0 version) https://mega.nz/#!g24hXIQa!L22-invd46Onx7pzAEf0C4tkrAe87AR1JftRni8G6rA

Instructions:
1-open Xperifirm to download your firmware:
look your phone on the left side, then your specific model (in my case it was H8314, if you dont know your model check in your phone settings) once you selected your phone Xperifirm will show a list of firmwares on the right side, select one of the builds with the number 52.0.A.11.32 on it if you want the latest build of Android 9. In my case 52.0.A.11.32/R3B from chile worked (i´m from mexico). Once you have selected your build then click on the square button that is below of "availanle firmware" and a windows will open and show you two options to download the files, you hit the "Download" button. then another window will open and the program will start downloading your firmware.

Once it`s downloaded you should get this files:
thump_9919850sin-ttulo.png

except the folder that says "Decrypted", I will explain about such folder later.

2-Open Flashtool and Decrypt the firmware files
2.1-select the next options on the menu: Tools>Bundles>FILESET Decrypt
thump_9919852sin-ttulo.png

2.2-look for the path of the folder in which you downloaded your firmware, and then move to the right the three files you have on the left and click on convert.
thump_9919853sin-ttulo.png

It will take around five minutes to convert all the files, Once flashtool is done with that, it will ask you to create a bundle, click on "cancel" to close the window. So now if you look at the folder where you have the firmware files you got a new folder called "Decrypted" that I mentioned and that you saw in the picture above in step 1, if you open it, it will look like this:
thump_9919876sin-ttulo.png

with a folder called "boot" and another called "partition", and some files as well.
3-Download (if you have not) and extract New flasher v20 in a new folder
(link posted above in the "Requirements/materials" section)
You should get this files:
thump_9919879sin-ttulo.png

4-Preparing the firmware files:
4.1-open the firmware folder, select and delete all of the .ta files in the main folder.
thump_9919882sin-ttulo.png

4.2-Now open the ‘boot’ folder within the main firmware folder. There is one .ta file in here called ‘Apollo_XBootConfig_MiscTA‘ that you also need to delete.
(Note: something else instead of "apollo" could be in the name of the file depending on your phone model)
thump_9919883sin-ttulo.png

4.3-Now the final step in preparing your firmware, is to copy the entire contents of the firmware folder to the Newflasher folder.
thump_9919887sin-ttulo.png

Once complete, your Newflasher folder should look like something below. The highlighted files are those copied across from your firmware folder.

5-Flash Xperia firmware
If you’ve reached this stage, then that’s the hardest part done. This next section involves the process of actually flashing your Sony Xperia device.
5.1-Connect your Sony Xperia device. Make sure the device is powered off and then hold the ‘volume down’ button whilst connecting the USB cable. You will see the led of your phone turns on and stays on, (that means it entered into flashmode)
5.2-Double click the ‘newflasher’ application as highlighted below.
5.3-A Windows command prompt will now open. It will ask you if you want to perform an optional step (if you need a gordongate flash drive) Type ‘n’ for no and press Enter.
thump_9919893sin-ttulo.png

5.4-newflasher will will ask you again if you want to perform an optional step, (dump trim area) Type ‘n’ for no and press Enter.
5.5-newflasher will ask you if you want to perform another optional step (flash bootloader,bluetooth,dsp,modem,rdimage to booth a,b slots)Type "n" for no and press Enter.
5.6-Your Sony Xperia device will now begin to flash new firmware.
You will see some files going through during the flashing
5.7-newflasher will ask you if you want to perform another optional step(flash persist partition).Type "n" for no and press Enter.
You will see some other files going through the screen
6- Once complete, you will receive a message that “You can disconnect your device when you close newflasher.exe“.
Sony-Xperia-Newflasher-Guide_13-640x399.png

Congratulations, your Sony Xperia device has now been successfully flashed to new firmware.

7-Disconnect your Xperia device and power on the handset. Don’t worry if it takes a while for the handset to boot, this is to be expected. To confirm that you have upgraded the phone software, click on ‘Settings > About phone’, which will reveal your new Android version and firmware build number.

Final Note:
-some parts of this guide were obtained from here: https://www.xperiablog.net/2018/01/...-firmware-for-xperia-xz-premium-xz1-and-more/

Last edited:

ferluna18

Jan 14, 2019
I Did my best to attach good screenshots so the follow of the process could be be easier but I just realized the pictures are very tiny and pixelated, sorry, hopefully you will still understand as everything is explained in a very detailed way. If you know a goos site to attach images that I could use please let me know.

Last edited:

UncleDick

Nov 26, 2015
Oh, no. XperiFirm shows only the Android 10 firmware for H8314 in USA (Verizon). Verizon has no GSM, so Sony tweaked the US model to place calls ONLY over LTE. Where can I find the Android 9 firmware for USA?

ferluna18

Jan 14, 2019
Oh, no. XperiFirm shows only the Android 10 firmware for H8314 in USA (Verizon). Verizon has no GSM, so Sony tweaked the US model to place calls ONLY over LTE. Where can I find the Android 9 firmware for USA?

my thoughts about that are:
1-why are you looking for android 10 in this phone if it has so many bugs?
2does it really needs to be from USA? I dont think thats the only country with such configuration over calls.
and finally: 3- I think that such problem could be solved through configuration? or it has to do with the rom files?

UncleDick

Nov 26, 2015
2does it really needs to be from USA? I dont think thats the only country with such configuration over calls.
and finally: 3- I think that such problem could be solved through configuration? or it has to do with the rom files?
Very good questions, thanks.
1. Why Android 10? Several thoughts. (a) the phone keeps bugging me to do it. (b) there may be features in Android 10 that would appear to me. (c) As far as I can tell, Android 9 is no longer getting any security fixes Having had several Android phones in the past that almost never got a security update, I have been pretty smug about my Sony "keeping up".
2. USA? Actually, "Global System for Mobile" (GSM) seems to mean "everybody in the whole planet except US and Japan." The Dual SIM version of the XZ2 Compact doesn't work on Verizon, only the H8413". Not being able to retreat to the "official" Android 9 for Verizon just worries me.
3. Configuration? Not willing to bet that Sony did not bury some code specific to Verizon in the "Official USA" firmware.

I absolutely LOVE this phone. Over the past year, it has become essential to my life. (Reads my diabetic sensor. Monitors my home security system. Keeps track of Amazon packages. Handles my 10 email accounts. Is my kitchen timer. Manages (what's left of) my calendar.) Seems like I pull out the phone at least 20-30 times a day. If I upgrade to Android 10 and it mangles my phone, I will be SO frustrated.

It is a great comfort that these forums have so many capable volunteers. If I start seeing posts, "Hey, I upgraded my Verizon H8413 and it works great!" , then I'll be much more likely to do it. So far, I simply don't see posts like that, only the opposite. And, "there's no way back." (I am sort of kicking myself that I failed to buy a second H8413 when they were on sale everywhere. I could just move the SIM card to it if Android 10 wrecks my current phone. That's how goofy I am. $400 for peace of mind.)

Reactions: SGH-i200

ferluna18

Jan 14, 2019
I understand, I have noticed something interesting about the update notification thing , I bought my phone on USA (xz2 compact single sim unlocked version) and of course it came with a US firmware so Igot the notification to update to Android 10 but very late, I don't know why, (android 10 March version) and I was hesitant about accepting such update but I did, then everything was okay except voice notes, the thing is that I decided to downgrade using the method I posted in this guide and installed a non US firmware, I have been using such firmware for like two weeks and the update center says that the next Android version is Android 10 but it doesn't give me the fastidious notification telling me that there is a mew update for my phone.

odiad

Jun 12, 2007
Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact
Hi, in Xperifirm Android 9 for H8324 ist just available as Rom for Saudi Arabia (52.0.A.11.32/R4B). Can I use this Rom for Europe, and is it including german language? Does anybodyknow?

Greetings Odiad

pyraohms

Dec 9, 2011
Hi, in Xperifirm Android 9 for H8324 ist just available as Rom for Saudi Arabia (52.0.A.11.32/R4B). Can I use this Rom for Europe, and is it including german language? Does anybodyknow?

Greetings Odiad

I successfully flashed the Saudi Arabian version 52.0.A.11.32/R4B from XperiFirm onto my XZ2c. There is possibility to choose German as language. My carrier (Tele2 / Sweden) works fine.

I was struggling trying to flash the phone using FlashTool and its .fsc scripts, but when i used newflasher with the advice given in this thread it worked perfectly.

Good luck!

PS. No more unresponsive touchscreen! :)

Reactions: ferluna18

odiad

Jun 12, 2007
Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact
I successfully flashed the Saudi Arabian version 52.0.A.11.32/R4B from XperiFirm onto my XZ2c. There is possibility to choose German as language. My carrier (Tele2 / Sweden) works fine.

I was struggling trying to flash the phone using FlashTool and its .fsc scripts, but when i used newflasher with the advice given in this thread it worked perfectly.

Good luck!

Hi Pyraohms.
-> Just to be sure - you did the downgrade with locked bootloader, correct?
-> And do you have now the update-info for android 10 in notification? Or is updating after downgrade just manually possible (if a perfect Android 10 will appear)?

Edit: I couldn't wait for an answer, because Android 10 annoyed me again. I tried successfully to downgrade with locked bootloader. All went fine. Now on Android 9 again fingerprintsensor works great again without lags..... I forgot how good it feels ;)

Last edited:

pyraohms

Dec 9, 2011
Edit: I couldn't wait for an answer, because Android 10 annoyed me again. I tried successfully to downgrade with locked bootloader. All went fine. Now on Android 9 again fingerprintsensor works great again without lags..... I forgot how good it feels ;)

Nice. Yeah, the fingeprint sensor works much better with A9, but I still get random freezes when unlocking and the screen becomes unresponsive until I hit the power button to lock and then use the sensor to unlock again. Does anybody else experience this?

I will probably send the unit for repair before my warranty is out. Should probably install the nordic version of A10 first though.

odiad

Jun 12, 2007
Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact
Nice. Yeah, the fingeprint sensor works much better with A9, but I still get random freezes when unlocking and the screen becomes unresponsive until I hit the power button to lock and then use the sensor to unlock again. Does anybody else experience this?.

Hi pyraohms. Up to now I haven't had this problem. Not with the original Android 9 (before update to Android 10), and also not after downgrading according to the guide in this thread.
Good luck that you can solve this....

pyraohms

Dec 9, 2011
Hi pyraohms. Up to now I haven't had this problem. Not with the original Android 9 (before update to Android 10), and also not after downgrading according to the guide in this thread.
Good luck that you can solve this....

Do you know which firmware version that you had before? Latest A9? If not, maybe we can get hold of an old version that do not have these issues somehow.

EDIT: Im downloading 52.0.A.3.27 from XperiFirm to try it now.

Last edited:

KHPYRA

May 7, 2020
Has anyone been able to verify that flashing the Chile firmware on an H8314 on the Verizon network is possible?

I'd really love to get my phone's usability back!! But I'm also afraid to flash something that might not work as this is pretty much right at the edge of my technical scope. I think I would not know how to fix it if the firmware didn't work right.

theuchi

Aug 6, 2010

Good luck!

Is it still the case that downgrading from android 10 51.1.A.0.672 to android 9 52.0.A.11.32 fixes the touchscreen issues?

pyraohms

Dec 9, 2011
Is it still the case that downgrading from android 10 51.1.A.0.672 to android 9 52.0.A.11.32 fixes the touchscreen issues?

Unfortunately no. I tried this but when problems persisted I had the unit sent for repair. And I got it back with the remark "firmware reinstalled - passes functional tests". Phone was working OK for some week, then the touchscreen issues got back :/

odiad

Jun 12, 2007
Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact
hello,
according to this downgrade instruction I have to delete .ta-files. What is the reason for that? I am asking because I was on LOS17 (open bootloader and twrp), but had randomly freezing screen and I went back to android 9 using News-flasher (as described in this instruction). Now sometimes I have also in Stock Android 9 randomly freeze of screen. I never had this when I was in Android 9 before Android and LOS17 . So reason could be bootloader/twrp, or maybe that anything from LOS17 remains after flashing stock android 9.
- Is flashing Android 9 including delete .ta-files before just a kind of partly installation, that parts of former Rom can be still in firmware?
- What happens if .ta-files are not deleted before flashing?

Greetings Odiad

junbacardi

Dec 10, 2020
Android 10 last build that came out this march solved lots of problems but still had one that was unforgivable for me, the low volume of voice recording while using whatsapp, telegram and messenger, so I looked for a way to make a downgrade to android 9 and without having to unlock bootloader and I found one that worked and want to share with you:

Requirements/materials:
-Sony drivers for your phone (I got them by installing latest version of Sony PC companion)
-New flasher v20 (original thread: https://xdaforums.com/crossdevice-dev/sony/progress-newflasher-xperia-command-line-t3619426)
-XperiFirm (to download Android 9 firmware.) (you can get it by downloading flashtool or from the original post:
https://xdaforums.com/crossdevice-dev/sony/pc-xperifirm-xperia-firmware-downloader-t2834142)
-flashtool (I used 0.9.27.0 version) https://mega.nz/#!g24hXIQa!L22-invd46Onx7pzAEf0C4tkrAe87AR1JftRni8G6rA

Instructions:

look your phone on the left side, then your specific model (in my case it was H8314, if you dont know your model check in your phone settings) once you selected your phone Xperifirm will show a list of firmwares on the right side, select one of the builds with the number 52.0.A.11.32 on it if you want the latest build of Android 9. In my case 52.0.A.11.32/R3B from chile worked (i´m from mexico). Once you have selected your build then click on the square button that is below of "availanle firmware" and a windows will open and show you two options to download the files, you hit the "Download" button. then another window will open and the program will start downloading your firmware.

except the folder that says "Decrypted", I will explain about such folder later.

2.2-look for the path of the folder in which you downloaded your firmware, and then move to the right the three files you have on the left and click on convert.

It will take around five minutes to convert all the files, Once flashtool is done with that, it will ask you to create a bundle, click on "cancel" to close the window. So now if you look at the folder where you have the firmware files you got a new folder called "Decrypted" that I mentioned and that you saw in the picture above in step 1, if you open it, it will look like this:

with a folder called "boot" and another called "partition", and some files as well.

4.1-open the firmware folder, select and delete all of the .ta files in the main folder.

4.2-Now open the ‘boot’ folder within the main firmware folder. There is one .ta file in here called ‘Apollo_XBootConfig_MiscTA‘ that you also need to delete.
(Note: something else instead of "apollo" could be in the name of the file depending on your phone model)

4.3-Now the final step in preparing your firmware, is to copy the entire contents of the firmware folder to the Newflasher folder.

Once complete, your Newflasher folder should look like something below. The highlighted files are those copied across from your firmware folder.

5-Flash Xperia firmware
If you’ve reached this stage, then that’s the hardest part done. This next section involves the process of actually flashing your Sony Xperia device.
5.1-Connect your Sony Xperia device. Make sure the device is powered off and then hold the ‘volume down’ button whilst connecting the USB cable. You will see the led of your phone turns on and stays on, (that means it entered into flashmode)
5.3-A Windows command prompt will now open. It will ask you if you want to perform an optional step (if you need a gordongate flash drive) Type ‘n’ for no and press Enter.

5.4-newflasher will will ask you again if you want to perform an optional step, (dump trim area) Type ‘n’ for no and press Enter.
5.5-newflasher will ask you if you want to perform another optional step (flash bootloader,bluetooth,dsp,modem,rdimage to booth a,b slots)Type "n" for no and press Enter.
5.7-newflasher will ask you if you want to perform another optional step(flash persist partition).Type "n" for no and press Enter.
6- Once complete, you will receive a message that “You can disconnect your device when you close newflasher.exe“.

Congratulations, your Sony Xperia device has now been successfully flashed to new firmware.

7-Disconnect your Xperia device and power on the handset. Don’t worry if it takes a while for the handset to boot, this is to be expected. To confirm that you have upgraded the phone software, click on ‘Settings > About phone’, which will reveal your new Android version and firmware build number.

Final Note:
-some parts of this guide were obtained from here: https://www.xperiablog.net/2018/01/...-firmware-for-xperia-xz-premium-xz1-and-more/

Thank you so much for this bro. Android 10 for my xperia xz2 compact ruined my device. Now after i follow your tutorial/instructions to downgrade to Android 9, my xperia xz2 compact become smooth as new specially the fingerprint now is very quick responsive. 😊

dario82ct

Jun 6, 2014

Requirements/materials:

Instructions:

5-Flash Xperia firmware

Final Note:
Hi. Could you reload or restore the pictures attached in the first post?

Reactions: ferluna18

harpnote

Nov 8, 2020
Hi. Could you reload or restore the pictures attached in the first post?
Would really appreciate this as well. I got my phone back from Sony repairs under warranty but it's a refurbed phone with Android 10. Ew. With 5 mins of Pokego it drains 2% already so I am really anxious about either the battery life on this refurbed phone is **** (I had 92% on my old handset from 2 years of use), or if it's Android 10 being the culprit.
Also if this method doesn't include unlocking bootloader, does it mean my warranty won't be voided? (Any idea, I got 4 months left on warranty).

Instead of getting the software from xperifirm since it's all android 10 on it now, I downloaded the prev version I had of Pie 52.0.A.3.27 from the Sony developer website. Would I be able to use that instead? I tried unpacking it but it's so different to the files that I downloaded from xperifirm..... sorry I have no idea what I am doing.

Alternatively, would it be safe to download and flash the "Commercial and Journalists" version (I live in New Zealand) since it seems like it's the only Pie build on Xperifirm?

Attachments

• xperifirm h8314 versions.png
    xperifirm h8314 versions.png
    299 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

dario82ct

Jun 6, 2014
Would really appreciate this as well. I got my phone back from Sony repairs under warranty but it's a refurbed phone with Android 10. Ew. With 5 mins of Pokego it drains 2% already so I am really anxious about either the battery life on this refurbed phone is **** (I had 92% on my old handset from 2 years of use), or if it's Android 10 being the culprit.
Also if this method doesn't include unlocking bootloader, does it mean my warranty won't be voided? (Any idea, I got 4 months left on warranty).

Instead of getting the software from xperifirm since it's all android 10 on it now, I downloaded the prev version I had of Pie 52.0.A.3.27 from the Sony developer website. Would I be able to use that instead? I tried unpacking it but it's so different to the files that I downloaded from xperifirm..... sorry I have no idea what I am doing.

Alternatively, would it be safe to download and flash the "Commercial and Journalists" version (I live in New Zealand) since it seems like it's the only Pie build on Xperifirm?

Hello. I have downgraded to android 8 (having tried them all since I bought the phone, it's my favorite), and everything works great again! The fingerprint sensor is very fast, no more bugs in whatsapp audio messages, the battery lasts much longer than Android 10.
The procedure in the first post is slightly imperfect, as on Xperifirm, the firmwares are downloaded already decrypted (in practice you have to skip steps 2 and 2.1 of the guide).
Obviously I don't take responsibility, but it worked for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Requirements/materials:

Instructions:

5-Flash Xperia firmware

Final Note:

Requirements/materials:

Instructions:

5-Flash Xperia firmware

Final Note:

Thank you so much for this bro. Android 10 for my xperia xz2 compact ruined my device. Now after i follow your tutorial/instructions to downgrade to Android 9, my xperia xz2 compact become smooth as new specially the fingerprint now is very quick responsive. 😊

Hello. I have downgraded to android 8 (having tried them all since I bought the phone, it's my favorite), and everything works great again! The fingerprint sensor is very fast, no more bugs in whatsapp audio messages, the battery lasts much longer than Android 10.
    The procedure in the first post is slightly imperfect, as on Xperifirm, the firmwares are downloaded already decrypted (in practice you have to skip steps 2 and 2.1 of the guide).
    Obviously I don't take responsibility, but it worked for me.
    Very good questions, thanks.
    1. Why Android 10? Several thoughts. (a) the phone keeps bugging me to do it. (b) there may be features in Android 10 that would appear to me. (c) As far as I can tell, Android 9 is no longer getting any security fixes Having had several Android phones in the past that almost never got a security update, I have been pretty smug about my Sony "keeping up".
    2. USA? Actually, "Global System for Mobile" (GSM) seems to mean "everybody in the whole planet except US and Japan." The Dual SIM version of the XZ2 Compact doesn't work on Verizon, only the H8413". Not being able to retreat to the "official" Android 9 for Verizon just worries me.
    3. Configuration? Not willing to bet that Sony did not bury some code specific to Verizon in the "Official USA" firmware.

I absolutely LOVE this phone. Over the past year, it has become essential to my life. (Reads my diabetic sensor. Monitors my home security system. Keeps track of Amazon packages. Handles my 10 email accounts. Is my kitchen timer. Manages (what's left of) my calendar.) Seems like I pull out the phone at least 20-30 times a day. If I upgrade to Android 10 and it mangles my phone, I will be SO frustrated.

It is a great comfort that these forums have so many capable volunteers. If I start seeing posts, "Hey, I upgraded my Verizon H8413 and it works great!" , then I'll be much more likely to do it. So far, I simply don't see posts like that, only the opposite. And, "there's no way back." (I am sort of kicking myself that I failed to buy a second H8413 when they were on sale everywhere. I could just move the SIM card to it if Android 10 wrecks my current phone. That's how goofy I am. $400 for peace of mind.)

Greetings Odiad

Good luck!