XZ2 Touchscreen sensitivity issues - Might affect you if you play games

Search This thread

CaraMuuu

Sep 26, 2010
Granada / Kraków
Hi there,

I do not own this phone, but the Compact version, however I have tried both models extensively. I have been VERY pleased with the phones, but when I started playing PUBG Mobile I detected something odd, that avoided me to aim properly, sometimes the touchscreen wouldn't track the touches when they are very slow or precise.

I could try this in the XZ2 (not Compact) as well, and there's definitely a problem with the screen sensitivity, I'm not sure how to define it, but it feels like a dead zone that moves with your finger. The phone will not detect small movements, kind of a precision problem. The tracking is just not good enough.

I have a video and pictures to demonstrate the issue, comparing the sensibility to my other phone (Galaxy S8):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc55o-36uC4&feature=youtu.be

And a picture:

https://imgur.com/a/LIzyV

I'm returning the phone, and I'll buy again if Sony fixes this via software (I hope they will!). I will gladly replace my S8 with this XZ2 Compact if we ignore this problem.

Comments are welcome.

Reactions: kekistaneerefugee

Seb122

Mar 21, 2015
Same problem with my XZ2 there's a dead zone easily noticeable when doing smalls movements on the touchscreen. FPS games are unplayables.
There's also huge imput lag like 150ms +

I will keep my XZ2 because I'm very pleased with it and I don't play games but I do not recommand this phone for gamers.

I hope it's software issue

CaraMuuu

Sep 26, 2010
Granada / Kraków
Same problem with my XZ2 there's a dead zone easily noticeable when doing smalls movements on the touchscreen. FPS games are unplayables.

I will keep my XZ2 because I'm very pleased with it and I don't play games but I do not recommand this phone for gamers.

Have you tried to contact Sony support? I'm a bit frustrated, they told me to apply whatever update there is, perform a factory reset, run the device diagnostics, and if the problem persists, that means it is hardware and I should contact local support to get it repaired or exchanged. They closed my support ticket after giving that response, without waiting for my response.
They obviously didn't understand or care about the issue here. The screen diagnostics test is passed, but the issue is still there.
I don't know what to provide in order to get somebody from Sony support look at the case and evaluate escalating the ticket to whatever team that handles bugs.

Allesa

Mar 9, 2012
This is oreo problem actually. I'm surprised not many people realize this. I'm a YouTube tech reviewer and tested many phones. So far I've encountered this problem on oneplus 5t, Huawei p20 pro, and now xz2 all on oreo.

Oreo running phones that are free from this problem is s9, mi mix 2s, pixel 2 xl (though it has multi touch problem)

yeraym

May 25, 2010
Madrid
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
This is oreo problem actually. I'm surprised not many people realize this. I'm a YouTube tech reviewer and tested many phones. So far I've encountered this problem on oneplus 5t, Huawei p20 pro, and now xz2 all on oreo.

Oreo running phones that are free from this problem is s9, mi mix 2s, pixel 2 xl (though it has multi touch problem)

So do you think this could be a software problem? If that's the case this may be solved with software update.

Has someone contacted and received an oficial comfirmation from oneplus, Huawei or Sony that they are aware of the problem? If it happens only on oreo maybe someone with technical knowledge can ask on google android forums.

CaraMuuu

Sep 26, 2010
Granada / Kraków

I have to admit when I saw your post I thought you were confusing this problem with some input lag or delay, and was very skeptic about your opinion. My apologies, because in the afternoon I went to some tech store and confirmed what you said, you're totally right. As you mentioned, I don't understand how is not everybody talking about this! Hawei P20 = same issue, Nokia phones = same issue (but maybe less pronounced). Only Samsung, Xiaomi and LG phones were free from it.
Then I went home and started googling, and people complained about similar things on the Pixels before the 8.1 update, and in the essential phone before the 8.1, etc. so basically in those phone that have "cleaner" android or closer to AOSP. Google messed up something in 8.0, ***probably*** fixed it in 8.1, but introduced the infamous multitouch issue instead.

The puzzling thing is that the previous generation, the XZ1, doesn't have this problem. Also came out with Oreo already.

Please let us know what is the name of your YouTube channel, you earned a lot of credibility for me with a single post :)

Last edited:

Flynnchen82

Jun 9, 2017
Although i'm very grateful for the explanation and trying to believe it, some things don't match together.
First i have to say that also my not yet mentioned U11 does not suffer from this problem.
I also tried the honor 9 some months ago and that device had similar issues (but worse) on Android 7 and 8, no difference.
Saying that 8.1 might solve it - don't you think there is a way the manufacturers COULD do it themselves before?

CaraMuuu

Sep 26, 2010
Granada / Kraków
Although i'm very grateful for the explanation and trying to believe it, some things don't match together.
First i have to say that also my not yet mentioned U11 does not suffer from this problem.
I also tried the honor 9 some months ago and that device had similar issues (but worse) on Android 7 and 8, no difference.
Saying that 8.1 might solve it - don't you think there is a way the manufacturers COULD do it themselves before?

You're totally right. The assumption here is that the error originated in AOSP but can be fixed by manufacturers as well, not only by Google.
Or maybe we are taking the wrong approach and it's exclusive to digitizers produced by certain manufacturer, like Synaptics, goodix, etc.
All in all, we can be 90% certain that it's a software thing. Potentially connected to some hardware choices from manufacturers, but almost definitely fixable by software, if they put the effort.

Allesa

Mar 9, 2012
I have to admit when I saw your post I thought you were confusing this problem with some input lag or delay, and was very skeptic about your opinion. My apologies, because in the afternoon I went to some tech store and confirmed what you said, you're totally right. As you mentioned, I don't understand how is not everybody talking about this! Hawei P20 = same issue, Nokia phones = same issue (but maybe less pronounced). Only Samsung, Xiaomi and LG phones were free from it.
Then I went home and started googling, and people complained about similar things on the Pixels before the 8.1 update, and in the essential phone before the 8.1, etc. so basically in those phone that have "cleaner" android or closer to AOSP. Google messed up something in 8.0, ***probably*** fixed it in 8.1, but introduced the infamous multitouch issue instead.

The puzzling thing is that the previous generation, the XZ1, doesn't have this problem. Also came out with Oreo already.

Please let us know what is the name of your YouTube channel, you earned a lot of credibility for me with a single post :)

K2 gadgets is my YouTube channel but it is in Indonesian lol..

My wife's u11 on 8.0 suffers from this problem, but its not as pronounced. I can only experience it if I track REALLY slow and accurate, then the sudden jump in movement can be seen. not as pronounced as in the xz2.

The fact is that when we use touchscreen tester app, it detects instantly our finger touching the screen, but not detecting incremental movement after that. So I think it is not touchscreen lag. I think it's a matter of software problem, most likely a Google screw up. A driver/preference file such as this one https://www.xda-developers.com/fix-multi-touch-bug-google-pixel-2-xl-android-oreo/ may fix the whole thing.

It is like the phone intentionally disregarding slight movements on the screen as accidental swipes.
Why on earth this problem is not well known since it is happening in a lot of phones? I guess not many people move their fingers in such ways as avid fps gamers :laugh:

tomo100brt

Feb 25, 2011
I have this problem too. Can't properly play Street Fighter IV CE. After 51.1.A.3.159 firmware update situation is much better but not 100% good.

eitama

Sep 18, 2010
Hod Hasharon

My wife's u11 on 8.0 suffers from this problem, but its not as pronounced. I can only experience it if I track REALLY slow and accurate, then the sudden jump in movement can be seen. not as pronounced as in the xz2.

The fact is that when we use touchscreen tester app, it detects instantly our finger touching the screen, but not detecting incremental movement after that. So I think it is not touchscreen lag. I think it's a matter of software problem, most likely a Google screw up. A driver/preference file such as this one https://www.xda-developers.com/fix-multi-touch-bug-google-pixel-2-xl-android-oreo/ may fix the whole thing.

It is like the phone intentionally disregarding slight movements on the screen as accidental swipes.
Why on earth this problem is not well known since it is happening in a lot of phones? I guess not many people move their fingers in such ways as avid fps gamers :laugh:

I remember in the old Galaxy S2 and the likes days, had the same annoying issue.
There was an App back then that resolved the issue completely - https://xdaforums.com/galaxy-s2/orig-development/ref-solving-touchscreen-sensitivity-t1161262

From what I gather, the minimum threshold to register a movement is there to allow convenient "Long Press". Long press is not triggered if the user for example is scrolling through home screens, so they added the threshold. If you ask me, long press should not be part of any touch os as it slows stuff down. Apple resolved it with Force touch.... (I hate apple and iOS)

On my HTC U11 i suffer the same issues, but I don't game much so I have not tried to fix it.

Also I have not tried but, maybe you should : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=apps.redpi.touchscreenrepair&hl=en

Seb122

Mar 21, 2015
I tried touchscreen repair app but nothing changed after calibration... I doubt about this app, it seems to be fake. How does it work to modify touchscreen attributes without root acces ?

nasko_spasko

Nov 10, 2008
Sofia
Same here

According to this thread, the value is set by the vendor and overriding a default one set to 8dip compared to 20dip in our device. In other words ACTION_MOVE event is not generated before the touch point travels the distance value in any direction. Might be wrong, though.

Last edited:

MisterDams

Jan 30, 2008
Lyon
Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact
I'm not using much apps/games that requires precision, so I haven't noticed this. The only issue I had with the touchscreen of my device (XZ2c) was selecting the radio button for the APN selection of Network management settings, that required high precision, too much for such a basic action.

Has anyone tried to enable Glove mode ? It's supposed to increase sensitivity, so it might help until a better fix is found. Or actually be worse, if the phone considers "bigger fingers" and increases the dead zone.

Flynnchen82

Jun 9, 2017
Glove mode doesn't change the existant dead zone, was one of the first things that i tried with my xz2 compact.
Btw i got a small update (0,7mb) today but no idea what it's for. Same security level (1. April) and no change in the touchscreen behaviour.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

People should be warned, this is expensive device... and yes, it has something to do with this thread, it is propably digitizer, so touch responsible part.
    No its totally not something todo with this thread, just some rage posts by you, if xda something can do about that.. Totally ot !!!

I have access to many of these phones as I have to fix them at work. All of them got that issue, it is xperia thing- XZ series thing. Hard to reproduce few first times but when you catch it, then it will be an issue for you. These lines are only few secs on screen and most noticiable on grey notifications screen. It has something to do with temperature of glass surface and touch.

https://xdaforums.com/xperia-xz1/help/horizontal-lines-dark-spots-screen-t3704107
    Handle with care and send to.. Repair !!

My xz2 is fine.
    I found the problem in my Xperia XZ2. Magnify on triple tap was turned on in settings which resulted a delay in every tap action. Turning it off solved my delay issue! Let me know if this works for you :D