FORUMS

U.S. Sony Xperia XZ3 & VoLTE on AT&T??

1,568 posts
Thanks Meter: 260

By RockStar2005, Senior Member on 12th October 2018, 02:54 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I was just wondering...........will Sony phones like the upcoming Xperia XZ3 (U.S. version, release date: 10/17/2018) be able to access ALL of AT&T's network radio bands without VoLTE certification? I know T-Mobile doesn't allow access to their 700 MHz spectrum (aka Band 12) without VoLTE certification, but does AT&T require the same thing? Or will users get FULL access, just no VoLTE?? Also, does AT&T actually require VoLTE certification??

Thank You!
12th October 2018, 05:52 AM |#2  
Flag Manila
Thanks Meter: 272

More
I'm on T-mobile and VoLTE works fine. I inserted my coworker's AT&T sim and had the option to enable VoLTE. Unfortunately, I did not think to actually test it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iArvee For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iArvee Ad-Free
12th October 2018, 06:11 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iArvee

I'm on T-mobile and VoLTE works fine. I inserted my coworker's AT&T sim and had the option to enable VoLTE. Unfortunately, I did not think to actually test it.

Hi.......thanks for responding!

Wait.........which exact Xperia phone do you have, and is it a U.S. version or int'l? I know it can't be the XZ3 as it (the U.S. version) doesn't get released on Amazon until next Wednesday.

Ok wait.........nevermind. Your signature logo tells me you have the 2017 XZ Premium. But is it the U.S. version or int'l??

Ok that is interesting about your phone showing the option to enable VoLTE with your co-worker's AT&T SIM card too. I'm sure if it actually showed up as an option that wasn't grayed out then it should definitely work too.

I wanted to know if a company like Sony didn't certify VoLTE with AT&T, would people who use their phones on AT&T's network get full access to ALL of AT&T's radio bands or no. If what you're saying is true, then perhaps they do? I don't know. lol
12th October 2018, 06:21 AM |#4  
Flag Manila

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockStar2005

Hi.......thanks for responding!

Wait.........which exact Xperia phone do you have, and is it a U.S. version or int'l? I know it can't be the XZ3 as it (the U.S. version) doesn't get released on Amazon until next Wednesday.

Ok wait.........nevermind. Your signature logo tells me you have the 2017 XZ Premium. But is it the U.S. version or int'l??

Ok that is interesting about your phone showing the option to enable VoLTE with your co-worker's AT&T SIM card too. I'm sure if it actually showed up as an option that wasn't grayed out then it should definitely work too.

I wanted to know if a company like Sony didn't certify VoLTE with AT&T, would people who use their phones on AT&T's network get full access to ALL of AT&T's radio bands or no. If what you're saying is true, then perhaps they do? I don't know. lol

I have the XZ3. I bought it from Clove (UK), flashed with US firmware. The signature doesn't have the XZ3 in their database yet, so I can't update it. I'd love to test it for you again tomorrow when I get to work, however he's on vacation for 2 weeks.
The Following User Says Thank You to iArvee For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iArvee Ad-Free
12th October 2018, 06:40 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

I have the XZ3. I bought it from Clove (UK), flashed with US firmware. The signature doesn't have the XZ3 in their database yet, so I can't update it. I'd love to test it for you again tomorrow when I get to work, however he's on vacation for 2 weeks.

Oh wow, cool!

So basically you're running a U.S. version then it seems, which is helpful.

Ha! Of course he is. Just my luck! lol

It's fine. I have T-Mobile, but thought that was a "dead issue" since Sony ONLY OFFICIALLY certified the XZ1 Compact with T-Mobile. When he gets back that would be cool if you could though as I have a friend who has AT&T and would like to know.

I guess I'm just shocked b/c this site doesn't have any information about really any recent Xperia flagships having VoLTE (and therefore access to Band 12/700 MHz). So you've tested your phone out using some kind of app to confirm that it can ACTUALLY access T-Mobile's Band 12 spectrum?? And I assume it stays on 4G LTE during calls too? (Please kindly answer both questions.)

Even if all this is true, what sux is the XZ3 (all versions) apparently DOESN'T have Band 71/600 MHz (under 4G LTE) spectrum programmed on it, regardless of version. And according to a recent update from T-Mobile, my area (Chicagoland region) is about to get that exact radio band by like the end of the year. Uggh.........f'ing Sony Mobile! lol
12th October 2018, 06:52 AM |#6  
Flag Manila

More
Quote:

Oh wow, cool!

So basically you're running a U.S. version then it seems, which is helpful.

Ha! Of course he is. Just my luck! lol

It's fine. I have T-Mobile, but thought that was a "dead issue" since Sony ONLY OFFICIALLY certified the XZ1 Compact with T-Mobile. When he gets back that would be cool if you could though as I have a friend who has AT&T and would like to know.

I guess I'm just shocked b/c this site doesn't have any information about really any recent Xperia flagships having VoLTE (and therefore access to Band 12/700 MHz). So you've tested your phone out using some kind of app to confirm that it can ACTUALLY access T-Mobile's Band 12 spectrum?? And I assume it stays on 4G LTE during calls too? (Please kindly answer both questions.)

Even if all this is true, what sux is the XZ3 (all versions) apparently DOESN'T have Band 71/600 MHz (under 4G LTE) spectrum programmed on it, regardless of version. And according to a recent update from T-Mobile, my area (Chicagoland region) is about to get that exact radio band by like the end of the year. Uggh.........f'ing Sony Mobile! lol

I used LTE Discovery to check what band I'm on and it's saying Band 4. And yes, it stays on LTE during calls. Refer to screenshots (attachments).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	43753675_165770687662997_5340237996543180800_n.png
Views:	504
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	4617070   Click image for larger version

Name:	43787739_281101672730802_2303657042658721792_n.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	4617071  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iArvee For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iArvee Ad-Free
12th October 2018, 07:15 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

I used LTE Discovery to check what band I'm on and it's saying Band 4. And yes, it stays on LTE during calls. Refer to screenshots (attachments).

Yes, that's the app, LTE Discovery! I couldn't remember the name of it earlier. lol

Did they finally add Band 71/600 MHz to its list of bands it can detect??

So can I presume that 4G LTE & LTE+ are the exact same thing??

Ok but what about Band 12 though? That's the band that T-Mobile is supposed to require VoLTE certification for in order to access it. An LTE Discovery screenshot of that (must be during a call) would be great actually! I believe it can access Band 12 for data, but the thing I care about is having access to it for calls.

And ok your profile says you're from or in Manila?? I'm confused. lol I hope it's just from b/c if you're not in the U.S. then this info is kinda useless to me. lol

Thanks!!!!!!!
12th October 2018, 07:25 AM |#8  
Flag Manila

More
Quote:

Yes, that's the app, LTE Discovery! I couldn't remember the name of it earlier. lol

Did they finally add Band 71/600 MHz to its list of bands it can detect??

So can I presume that 4G LTE & LTE+ are the exact same thing??

Ok but what about Band 12 though? That's the band that T-Mobile is supposed to require VoLTE certification for in order to access it. An LTE Discovery screenshot of that (must be during a call) would be great actually! You I believe can access Band 12 for data, but the thing I care about is having access to it for calls.

And ok your profile says you're from or in Manila?? I'm confused. lol I hope it's just from b/c if you're not in the U.S. then this info is kinda useless to me. lol

Thanks!!!!!!!

I'm not sure if they added Band 71, doesn't really say in the app. I guess you'll have to contact the developer for that. I have no knowledge of where Band 12 is deployed. I'm in the Philadelphia area right now. Signature is just where I'm from.
The Following User Says Thank You to iArvee For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift iArvee Ad-Free
12th October 2018, 07:34 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

I'm not sure if they added Band 71, doesn't really say in the app. I guess you'll have to contact the developer for that. I have no knowledge of where Band 12 is deployed. I'm in the Philadelphia area right now. Signature is just where I'm from.

Oh ok. Not a big deal. I can just download it again and check it too. It would say in the Settings. When my area first got Band 12/700 MHz, I used the app to detect and notify me of every time it found a Band 12 signal. Shortly after, it began to pop up when I was like in elevators and parts of downtown Chicago, etc., which made me very happy. lol

You can check this map, though of course I think Band 12 will only get utilized when Bands 2 & 4 are not available. Philly? Ok great!! It appears you do have it too.

Well so far this is really great news!! I just can't understand why no one else is confirming this like on that site I linked earlier?? I would assume the U.S. version then will have it too since your firmware is U.S. for the XZ3.

Nice. I used to have a good friend who was Filipino too. Just lost touch over the years.

Thanks again so much!!
12th October 2018, 05:22 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

I checked and LTE Discovery does NOT currently offer Band 71 detection at this time. So I e-mailed the developer a few hours ago and requested it. Hopefully they add it soon so I can detect Band 71 when it hits my area in the next few months.

Thanks again for all your input! Much appreciated! I will check back with you in a couple weeks. In the mean time, I'm honestly CONSIDERING buying the U.S. XZ3 off Amazon (gets released next Wed) and testing it out myself. LOL I get Band 12 in my condo elevator and parking lot too sometimes, so I should be able to get a screenshot of the phone in Band 12 DURING a call via LTE Discovery when it's detected. But I doubt I'd keep it up cuz no Band 71. FML! lol Still, I'd wanna know for myself so that perhaps when the XZ4 comes out (or XZ3 Premium) if it will have Band 71 and VoLTE confirmed, I will most likely buy & keep it.
The Following User Says Thank You to RockStar2005 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RockStar2005 Ad-Free
12th October 2018, 10:16 PM |#11  
Flag Manila

More
Quote:

I checked and LTE Discovery does NOT currently offer Band 71 detection at this time. So I e-mailed the developer a few hours ago and requested it. Hopefully they add it soon so I can detect Band 71 when it hits my area in the next few months.

Thanks again for all your input! Much appreciated! I will check back with you in a couple weeks. In the mean time, I'm honestly CONSIDERING buying the U.S. XZ3 off Amazon (gets released next Wed) and testing it out myself. LOL I get Band 12 in my condo elevator and parking lot too sometimes, so I should be able to get a screenshot of the phone in Band 12 DURING a call via LTE Discovery when it's detected. But I doubt I'd keep it up cuz no Band 71. FML! lol Still, I'd wanna know for myself so that perhaps when the XZ4 comes out (or XZ3 Premium) if it will have Band 71 and VoLTE confirmed, I will most likely buy & keep it.

Yeah, the XZ3 is a really nice phone. Comparing it with my XZP, I believe it's a nice upgrade. Not a required upgrade, but still a nice one. You can also just wait for it to be available in Best Buy or something so you can try the phone out without buying it. If it comes out in Best Buy. I assume it will, since the XZ2P was.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)