6" (and larger) device alternatives to replace our Xperia Z Ultra (10+ device specs)

Search This thread

SUPERUSER

Jan 23, 2013
Wanted to check in on my old forum and let everyone know that I'm quite happy with my LeEco Max Pro after 5 months of use (Dec to May). I thought the lack of LTE would be a real problem but its quite okay - getting 13mbit down on T-mobile in most places on H+. For $280 if it lasts a full year I'll be quite happy.

Regarding S8+ keep in mind that despite its 6.2" screen, if you calculate the surface area its actually 30% smaller than Z ultra. Not a worthy replacement imho, especially if you use your phone to watch youtube or video which is almost all 16:9. Just my $.02.

uhm..wow that is a sacrifice. The lowest speed I get on LTE is about 40mb/s with bad coverage and I think this is quite slow. On H+ I get ~3mb/s with massive latency so long that mosts websites stops with a timeout. If I don't have LTE coverage where I am Im doomed when it comes to internet. I am right on you with the S8+. But I kind of like the extra screen even if its not 16:9. Not sure..perhaps I don't like the idea. But I don't get that curved sides thing. What is browsing the web like? Is the text going away in a slope in the edges and I need to tilt the phone to see this portion? Does videos curve away in the egdes?..:rolleyes: I tried the S7 for a few minutes. Its stupid.

E90 Commie

Feb 5, 2009
New York
I reach about 16-20 Mbit/s with HSPA+ and no particular problem with the latency either. HD streaming work well and everything Internet related is just running fine on that speed.

One thing is for sure: Restricting my device choice just because of LTE band X isn't an option. Having a decent pocket computer with good hardware and software is just way more important if I can't have both.

rockky

Oct 2, 2006
chicago
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Why aren't more interested in the The Lenovo Phab 2 Pro? Weight? Great 4G.
Big downside: no root.
Regardless I'm undoubtedly jumping on the Note 8. Will be one hell of a piece.
Slightly taller than S8...hoping it's significantly wider though.

pierro78

The specs of the Xiaomi Mi Max 2 have been revealed. Sadly, it seems the highest spec version only has 4GB RAM and a Snapdragon 625. Oh, it's got a monstrously huge battery, but otherwise this hardly seems to be an upgrade.

I'd been hoping for the rumoured 6GB RAM and SD660 model to be revealed as one of a pair of devices :(

http://www.xiaomidevice.com/xiaomi-mi-max-2.html
It s slightly bigger and heavier than the mi max 1, I had hopes they could have reduced the screen bezel a little ... and also the weight ...

speculatrix

Mar 7, 2006
Cambridge
I decided to consider getting a 1st gen X Mi Max, and stock of them seems scarce. DX.com list the 4GB RAM version, but the CPU spec is wrong, I queried it and they insisted it's correct.
I also turned to consider the Samsung S8+, but on reading the XDA forum it seems many people have problems with the screen, colour tints that can't be dialled out or are not even across, or a problem with the curved edge causing some sort of fogging. So I think it would be wise for anyone looking at it, to hold off a while until the first batch have been sold in the hope that screen quality control improves, and/or go to a physical shop and have it unboxed before you take it away!

speculatrix

Mar 7, 2006
Cambridge
I just noticed that the Xiaomi Mi Mix pricing is looking reasonable these days... there's a 128GB flash + 4GB RAM, or a 256GB / 6GB RAM model. There's a good choice of third party ROMs too.

SUPERUSER

Jan 23, 2013
I just noticed that the Xiaomi Mi Mix pricing is looking reasonable these days... there's a 128GB flash + 4GB RAM, or a 256GB / 6GB RAM model. There's a good choice of third party ROMs too.

Yes Im suprised how much support this device has :)
Love too see the forum active instead of it just being a few post of benchmarks and then silence..like the blackberry priv

mingonn

Dec 9, 2009
Just got a Xiaomi Mi Max 2 International version 4gb/64gb 7.1.1.

Blown away by the performance compared to my now busted Z Ultra and current Nexus 6 running 7.1.2 Happy days now I am back to a 6.44 screen. DHL delivered from Gearbest in less than a week.

speculatrix

Mar 7, 2006
Cambridge
Having seen the price of the Galaxy S8+ and now the intended Note 8 pricing, and been disappointed by the Xiaomi Mi Max2, I decided to go back to a "normal" sized phone, an LG V20 H990DS, because it has great hardware and can now be rooted. It's only 5.7", and it does seem a bit small, that 0.74" makes all the difference ;)

Oh, and I did just root the phone, only 24 hours after getting it.

E90 Commie

Feb 5, 2009
New York
Having seen the price of the Galaxy S8+ and now the intended Note 8 pricing, and been disappointed by the Xiaomi Mi Max2, I decided to go back to a "normal" sized phone, an LG V20 H990DS, because it has great hardware and can now be rooted. It's only 5.7", and it does seem a bit small, that 0.74" makes all the difference ;)

Oh, and I did just root the phone, only 24 hours after getting it.

Interesting step. I would recommend you to check what Huawei are doing with their Honor Notes - the Honor Note 8 6.6" was decent and it is natural to expect the successor to land soon.

I am also considering the Max 2 a letdown but just keep my Max Helium.

SubZeRo666

Jun 25, 2017
Thanks!

Just got a Xiaomi Mi Max 2 International version 4gb/64gb 7.1.1.

Blown away by the performance compared to my now busted Z Ultra and current Nexus 6 running 7.1.2 Happy days now I am back to a 6.44 screen. DHL delivered from Gearbest in less than a week.
Thanks for posting this! :) I've now bought the same one. I loved my Sony Xperia Z Ultra, but it is getting a little slower these days, i guess because the apps are not optimized for older phones anymore.
Also today it's having an issue after updating loads of apps, it's now painfully slow and keeps rebooting. Now fed up with it. Didn't want to pay a lot of money for a new phone, but this Xiaomi Mi Max 2 is actually cheap IMO :)

Last edited:

SubZeRo666

Jun 25, 2017
Time for another update on the list of phones? :)

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Thanks for posting this! :) I've now bought the same one. I loved my Sony Xperia Z Ultra, but it is getting a little slower these days, i guess because the apps are not optimized for older phones anymore.
Also today it's having an issue after updating loads of apps, it's now painfully slow and keeps rebooting. Now fed up with it. Didn't want to pay a lot of money for a new phone, but this Xiaomi Mi Max 2 is actually cheap IMO :)
Also check this page https://xdaforums.com/xperia-z-ultra/help/responding-restarting-t3624404
Slow phone seems also to be caused by Facebook app being crap. Would have kept my Ultra Z if I knew it up front. Still happy with ordering the Xiaomi Mi Max 2, looking forward to receiving it. :)

Reactions: rickgillyon

speculatrix

Mar 7, 2006
Cambridge
Rooting your phone allows removal of Facebook and other spyware. I don't even trust Facebook to not mine all my data even if I'm not logged in to the app!

enginuity2

Dec 19, 2011
Pixel 2 XL is rumored to have a 5.99" display with a Snapdragon 835. Finally something that's worthy.

doctahjeph

Jun 15, 2006
corpus christi
Pixel 2 XL is rumored to have a 5.99" display with a Snapdragon 835. Finally something that's worthy.

Still too small. I had (still do as back up) the Nexus 6 which also had the 5.9in display. Great phone, loved all the development for it, but I still felt the screen was lacking in size a bit. I had the Zenfone 3 Ultra which was wonderful in screen size, and the 652 was a great processor, but it lacked all the AT&T LTE bands except for band 5. Now I have the Mi Mix, and I have to say this is finally what I am looking for. Screen is perfect at 6.4 inches, beauty of a screen. Also the processor is fast with lots of ram. Has all AT&T LTE bands except for 17, which is not a problem where I live. Rom development is really decent. Reminds me of all the development the Xperia Ultra had. Prices are finally coming down on this great phone so if anyone is interested I firmly believe the Mi Mix is a great replacement for the Xperia Ultra.

manigma

Jul 13, 2011
Z Ultra vs S8+ screen size

Bought an S8+. A truly worthy upgrade from ZU. Loving it. Here is a photo of screen size comparison.

2m863om.jpg

Top Liked Posts