FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Oleophobic coating DIY

199 posts
Thanks Meter: 16

By heretic, Senior Member on 13th April 2013, 07:33 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
As some of fellow SXZ owners I have removed both front and back factory antishatter films as they were dust and scratch magnets. I was enjoying the improved clarity of the screen and premium look of the phone, but the only thing I was missing was the oleophobic coating. Well, I have ordered GLAS.t Slim, but it it will take some time to arrive, so I decided to experiment. While in the supermarket, I just sprayed a coat of some random nanotech spray car wax on the screen and buffed it with a microfiber cloth. Also I have cleaned the screen first with some glass cleaner. Well, guess what. I now have an oleophobic coating on my naked SXZ! Finger glides perfectly on the screen, prints are very easy to wipe even on jeans and smudges don't appear as easy. So I would suggest the following procedure to get a fully working durable oleophobic coating on our SXZs:
1. Use a good glass cleaner spray to thoroughly clean the screen
2. Spray a coat of nanotech car wax (comes in a spray bottle and advertises a protective coating), buff with a microfiber cloth while it's wet. Repeat 3-5 times.
3. Enjoy!

Will have yet to figure the best car wax brand for the purpose of creating a lasting and durable oleophobic coating, but for now this random stuff works wonders. Will probably buy a bottle next time I'm in the store. Will use it on my car too. It's like $3 smth.

Please post what had worked best for you.

Oh, and DISCLAIMER: I will not be held responsible for any damages you do to your phone while trying this suggested method. Proceed with caution AT YOUR OWN RISK!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to heretic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift heretic Ad-Free
13th April 2013, 08:08 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 116

More
Glad to see a post about this!

Today I got some turtle wax Ice liquid polish - same results as you, screen is super, super smooth - and no fingerprints. It's like having an oleophobic coating applied.
I'm impressed. I was going to get a glas.t - but now I'm not so sure I need it.

The front glass is dragontrail - not exactly easy to scratch / smash.
The Following User Says Thank You to adamsweeting For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift adamsweeting Ad-Free
13th April 2013, 12:50 PM |#3  
Flag West Midlands
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Aha! As a car geek I have TONS of this stuff in the garage! Going to give it a try later.

I will, however, try it on top of the screen protector - no amount of spray wax will stop scratches.
The Following User Says Thank You to parapaul For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift parapaul Ad-Free
13th April 2013, 01:05 PM |#4  

More
Good luck trying to scratch dragon trail or gorilla glass unless you're really trying to!

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to adamsweeting For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift adamsweeting Ad-Free
13th April 2013, 01:19 PM |#5  
Flag West Midlands
Thanks Meter: 19

More
I quite like the SONY logo on the screen, so don't really want to peel of the shatterproof protector.
The Following User Says Thank You to parapaul For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift parapaul Ad-Free
14th April 2013, 06:41 AM |#6  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 62

More
Rainex anyone :thumbup:
Great stuff too for car windshields and phone

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2
14th April 2013, 09:10 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 54

More
Two questions about this:
- did you protect the mic/loudspeaker holes while applying it?
- does your phone feels slippery now, for instance when you trying to get it out of your pocket?

Thanks

14th April 2013, 10:10 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Voronezh
Thanks Meter: 16

Donate to Me
More
No and No. I didn't spray it all over, though. Just the center of the screen. So I guess you should use caution.
14th April 2013, 11:33 AM |#9  
Flag Basingstoke
Thanks Meter: 391

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsweeting

Good luck trying to scratch dragon trail or gorilla glass unless you're really trying to!

It's very easy to scratch Gorilla Glass mate... what it takes is a single grain of sand in your pocket, you won't even know you scratched it. It's not that scratch resistant...
14th April 2013, 04:17 PM |#10  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpraga

Two questions about this:
- did you protect the mic/loudspeaker holes while applying it?
- does your phone feels slippery now, for instance when you trying to get it out of your pocket?

Thanks

As heretic said....

No & No.

Only applied the wax to the screen. It makes such a difference.
16th April 2013, 05:05 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Hi guys, thanks for the tip! Can you post a link or photo of an example of the spray you used for this purpose?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)