Oleophobic coating DIY

199 posts
Thanks Meter: 16

By heretic, Senior Member on 13th April 2013, 07:33 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
16th April 2013, 05:05 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
Hi guys, thanks for the tip! Can you post a link or photo of an example of the spray you used for this purpose?
18th April 2013, 06:09 AM |#12  
Thanks Meter: 36

More
Turtle wax ice window cleaning liquid with water repelling effect works great for me. Screen is smooth and slippery. The prints do catch, but seems to come off much easier.
The overall feel is pretty much the same as my htc one x's factory oleophobic coating, but maybe slightly better.
the biggest pro for this one is that it does not need any preps - just spray some on a microfiber cloth, spread on the screen and wipe with another dry microfiber. Profit.

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1366261786645.jpg
Views:	3106
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1892032  
The Following User Says Thank You to shulmus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shulmus Ad-Free
19th April 2013, 01:58 PM |#13  
Flag Santiago - Chile
Thanks Meter: 138

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by graffus

Hi guys, thanks for the tip! Can you post a link or photo of an example of the spray you used for this purpose?

I've used 3M spray car wax.
Anyway, test whatever you use in the bottom of the phone first, just in case...
Also check the wax doesn't have an abrasive agent...

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2
20th April 2013, 03:03 AM |#14  
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhurtado

I've used 3M spray car wax.
Anyway, test whatever you use in the bottom of the phone first, just in case...
Also check the wax doesn't have an abrasive agent...

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

If you can post a link to 3M car wax, will be great.
Thanks
21st April 2013, 04:03 PM |#15  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 327

More
How long does it last that's the question

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app
21st April 2013, 04:46 PM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 34

More
If it's at least 30 days I'm getting this for all my devices, TV's, windows, car and if possible I'll paint it on the house!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Fagerland For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Tom Fagerland Ad-Free
27th April 2013, 02:49 AM |#17  

More
any updates on how long this last?
27th April 2013, 02:07 PM |#18  

More
Mine is still as good as new...

27th April 2013, 04:02 PM |#19  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shulmus

Mine is still as good as new...

so its been a week-ish hmmm
27th April 2013, 06:08 PM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Seeing as how you already removed the shatterproof film, can you post pictures of how raised the Glas.T slim is from the edge of the Xperia Z?

I want to order the Glas.T, but chipping issues want me to stray away... If removing the shatterproof film makes the Glas.T flush with the edge, I think it might help prevent chips which would be awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretic

As some of fellow SXZ owners I have removed both front and back factory antishatter films as they were dust and scratch magnets. I was enjoying the improved clarity of the screen and premium look of the phone, but the only thing I was missing was the oleophobic coating. Well, I have ordered GLAS.t Slim, but it it will take some time to arrive, so I decided to experiment. While in the supermarket, I just sprayed a coat of some random nanotech spray car wax on the screen and buffed it with a microfiber cloth. Also I have cleaned the screen first with some glass cleaner. Well, guess what. I now have an oleophobic coating on my naked SXZ! Finger glides perfectly on the screen, prints are very easy to wipe even on jeans and smudges don't appear as easy. So I would suggest the following procedure to get a fully working durable oleophobic coating on our SXZs:
1. Use a good glass cleaner spray to thoroughly clean the screen
2. Spray a coat of nanotech car wax (comes in a spray bottle and advertises a protective coating), buff with a microfiber cloth while it's wet. Repeat 3-5 times.
3. Enjoy!

Will have yet to figure the best car wax brand for the purpose of creating a lasting and durable oleophobic coating, but for now this random stuff works wonders. Will probably buy a bottle next time I'm in the store. Will use it on my car too. It's like $3 smth.

Please post what had worked best for you.

Oh, and DISCLAIMER: I will not be held responsible for any damages you do to your phone while trying this suggested method. Proceed with caution AT YOUR OWN RISK!

28th April 2013, 10:08 PM |#21  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1_enthusiast

so its been a week-ish hmmm

Abt 2 weeks for now. I did not post here right away...

The Following User Says Thank You to shulmus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shulmus Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)