Sony SBH20 little review

Search This thread

monsieur_debile

Apr 27, 2013
Hello mate! :)

Just a little question, i guess you've used the Sony-Headset MH-EX300AP, how does it compare Sound and Mic-wise?
Also how long do the batteries last?

This little bugger, seems to be just made for an Motorbike-Intercom System :)
Its seems to be pretty small so that it could theoretically even fit inside a helmet somewhere where you can reach it in the front, and due to the 3,5mm Jacket you could pair it with those :

$_12.JPG

Looking forward to your answers :good:
Hi, mate, battery must last no longer than 6 hours, an average of 5 hours if i would be more accurate.
I have plugged a Steelseries Siberia V2 into it and it worked good.
You can put whatever you want, any headset or earphone will works, perhaps some feature wont work but you will get sounds working

DJFliX

Feb 3, 2009
Utrecht
Since the 4.4 Update I have the issue that volume control is synced between the SBH20 and Android Volume. The only problem is that the SBH20 has only a few steps (i believe 7) of volume, which are either too loud, or not loud enough to my liking. Am I the only one having this problem? Or is there some hack that I do not know of? I have searched to find out whether firmware is updateble but I haven't found anything. To me, not having a good volume setting is a deal breaker.

Reactions: Sebi673

pbhat25

Feb 9, 2014
Mumbai
Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Since the 4.4 Update I have the issue that volume control is synced between the SBH20 and Android Volume. The only problem is that the SBH20 has only a few steps (i believe 7) of volume, which are either too loud, or not loud enough to my liking. Am I the only one having this problem? Or is there some hack that I do not know of? I have searched to find out whether firmware is updateble but I haven't found anything. To me, not having a good volume setting is a deal breaker.

I am facing the same problem too.... I wish we could separate the volume control from the device and phone. I am also facing jitters/skips while listening to music after the KK update.

zviki

Dec 30, 2008
Maribor
There's a Xposed module for volume steps(30 steps) but phone must be rooted

Send from Sony Xperia phone

Marek6

Sep 10, 2014
battery status on Windows OS or Windows Phone

Hi, is there a way how to check exact battery status for this device on Windows 8.1 or Windows Phone 8.1 please?
Thanks

w_ayon

I am having one problem.when sbh 20 connected to my phone andmy phone in my pocket, if I get a call my phone get unlocked in my pocket. Sometimes it hangs up automatically. Its frustrating. Anyone having this problem or any suggestions how to overcome this problm...

SolidSnake1976

Jun 5, 2014
Funchal - Madeira Island
No problem here. I always leave the volume about 5 and it's quiet loud for me.
7 (max volume) can't used it for too long because is very loud.

niwla jar

Dec 16, 2014
[Q] SBH20 bluetooth headset: can't skip to next song on redmi note

Looked all over the interwebs for a solution to this, but it seems I am the only one with this problem. I recently bought a Sony SBH20 bluetooth headset to go with my redmi note, mostly for running and sports. It pairs fine with the phone and there's no problem with playing music through it or changing volume through the volume button, BUT! When I try to switch song (next or previous) with the dedicated SBH20 buttons it just changes volume. This makes the device semi-useless as a handsfree for sports.

At first, I thought this was a SBH20 problem, but I tried the headset on my Laptop, and skipping songs works just fine. It has nothing to do with the music app either, as I've tried both Spotify and the Google Play music app. Could it be a bluetooth settings issue? Android version issue?

similiar issue i got from one link for one guy for nexus5. below is the link not allowed to paste ,.. please google it and fine

HEROEdelREVES

Dec 28, 2010
For all of your that own this headset.
Can you tell me how much does it take to charging from 0 to 100?

tOrNadO™

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 27, 2012
Bangalore

2hrs.. And i disagree with OP on battery life and sound quality.. Battery life lasts 6hrs as expected for me.. And i have 0 cons to give for the product coz no other brand as NEARLY good as SONY give a product this good for the price.. Music quality is better than the stock headset.. Sound is loud and better since Kitkat 4.4.4.. Ofc NFC being the easiest way to pair the device with your phone.. I am using this SBH20 with my XZ and it works fine.. :)

Reactions: HEROEdelREVES

ZorrO!

Jan 13, 2005
Voice control

Hi all, is the SBH20 working with voice control?
I mean: may I press 2 seconds the button for saying "call mom"?

If yes, did you try also to redirect the control via Google Now?
Thanks

smikers

Feb 3, 2015
I bought SBH20 weeks ago and when i use LINE or normal call the device is fine but when i use FACEBOOK mic and earpiece does not work.. Its like a regular call without headset. The audio goes to my phone speaker and the mic too.

Is it compatibility issue with facebook call!???

anth0nymDROID

Mar 13, 2013
berlin
I think they sound really good no distortion give great bass (especially considering it is Bluetooth) connect a pair of Marshall Headphones its superb! Audio is very clean and I think it's a good deal from Sony. Have not tested call audio yet.

Sent from my Xperia SL
NAOSP 5.1

DJ_Axcess

Jul 22, 2015
Hi there,

I have one question regarding the SBH20 bluetooth headset.

Does the original SBH20 headset also support Noise Cancelling when connected to an Xperia device?
I am actually using the cabled MDR-NC31E Noise Cancelling Headset with my Xperia Z3.
If I plug the MDR-NC31E into the SBH20, will Noise Cancelling also work through Bluetooth then?

Thanks for your replies in advance.

Akinaro

Sep 14, 2013
Can I play multplater pc games with i?
Will in game chats, teamspeak etc work well?

You can use any game and apps chats with any Bluetooth headphones, as far as your PC have compatible Bluetooth adapter with A2DP, and most important, its configured properly, because Windows for most of time mess up option really bad, and you need to dig though audio settings to hear anything at all.

Not to mention that as far as BT headpohnes -> Phone dont have sync lags, Windows have problem with keeping up syncing sound from source -> BT headphones. There is small delay that sometimes is annoying and its all because default drivers that windows use.

I tried about 5 BT headphones(not this one tho) on windows 7 and 8.1 and everytime I had to go to audio settings and turn few options on and off, because Windows see almost all BT headphones as a phone call device so its set low mono quality as default.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey, since it has been released, i bought it and use it daily and now i have solid feedback to share you.

SBH20-1__94889_zoom.png

What is that
    SBH20 is stereo Bluetooth headset that has one particularity: NFC compatibility. You can use it for listening music or making calls either.

Where can i purchase it?
    Straight Sony Mobile official website or many different suppliers like Amazon (which i highly recommend with good price though)

Unboxing
    sony_sbh20_box.jpg

Package is minimalist.

Out of box, you got a tiny micro-usb charger, around 10 cm, along with USB power adapter of 850 mAh (EP800), headphones also shorter than Z's original ones, and its 3 different earbuds cover made in silicone, typical user guide and warranty.

Design
    Sony provides really good job in term of design, same for that SBH20, minimalist, simple square in several colors (black, white, orange, pink, green...).
    Its incredibly tiny and light.
    measurements:
    Size: 33.3 x 33.3 x 12.3 mm
    Weight: 12.3 grams

sonynfc8.jpg

look it deeply, it has matte plastic texture which seems to be the right choice, glossy tends to be easily scratched.
    Main buttons as play, next and previous are engraved and indeed very hard too see.
    You got also power button with LED indicator, volume buttons and 3.5 mm audio jack port.

Fotor0724181748.png

Connection
    You can appair with your phone through NFC.
    How is it work?
    Put it just above Xperia logo from the back of phone and it will appaired.
    Dont forget to enable NFC.
    However, NFC or not, the launch bothers me because of slowsness (way slower than my Sony headset that is also NFC and BT wireless)
    Range of surprising good, you can still listening musics up to 15 m or even more until at the sounds starts suffering
    Once, i went down the building stairs while listening music, 2 floors lower, the sounds started suffering and i eventually realized i forgot my phone in my apartment
    You can also automatize it through Smart Connect in order to make events
    e.g When enabling SBH20, it will automatically launch Walkman and playing music
    When disabling SBH20, it will automatically disable Bluetooth, stopping music...
    I highly recommend to use it.
    Since 4.3 update, i have some connection issue, ''Throw'' was launched every time when i connect it
    Since 4.3 update, i noticed some dysfunction with BT devices independently of NFC.

Sound quality
    For music, sound quality is surprisingly respectable. At least for a smartphone, it will never approach a sound quality from great audio headset such as Fidelio L1, M1.
    Wireless always lowers audio quality, however Sony has great idea to give you a bunch of good earphones (original's one and SBH20's one)
    It makes sound less poor than expected.
    Dont expect too much, its just average and well enough for such nomad use.
    When it comes about calls, its another story.
    When i am making calls through it, noise cancellation is terrible: you cant hear properly but the worse thing is interlocutor often barely hear you when you are talking
    i believe its depends where you are
    outside, on the jungle of street, drop it.

Battery
    Sony proudly announced 6 hours of battery life.
    I use it daily and quite disagree.
    My average battery life up to 4 hours, 5 hours at the maximum
    Yes battery life is crap, it could be better.

PROS
    - It has cute design
    - Tiny (you can put it away in your pocket)
    - Earphones (way better than any crap from other smartphones)
    - Useful for Z (if you are too lazy for opening jack's trap every time)

CONS
    - Average battery life
    - Average sound quality overall

Final thoughts
    Buy it if you dont bother about the audio quality, otherwise get headset such as Fidelio L1, not same price though. You can find SBH20 for less than 25 euros on Amazon (within the Apple's earphone price range)
    Battery might be just for a day of use or a long travel.
    yes its bluetooth device, it should run on most of devices including iPhone
    NFC would be only optional if you have NFC
    i suggest you to pick SBH50 if you want better battery life otherwise SBH20 sounds good

2hrs.. And i disagree with OP on battery life and sound quality.. Battery life lasts 6hrs as expected for me.. And i have 0 cons to give for the product coz no other brand as NEARLY good as SONY give a product this good for the price.. Music quality is better than the stock headset.. Sound is loud and better since Kitkat 4.4.4.. Ofc NFC being the easiest way to pair the device with your phone.. I am using this SBH20 with my XZ and it works fine.. :)