FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[STOCK][C6602&C6603][4.2.2] Update to 10.3.A.0.423 [Rooted & XZDualRecovery][LB/UB]

5,379 posts
Thanks Meter: 10,426

Thread Closed Email Thread
Requirements:
Special features:
@shem2409 created a nice youtube video guide to assist you in your work, be sure to check this post for it! Thanks m8!

In the following guide I suggest you use an external SDCard but that's just good practice, you can use your internal storage or even an USB OTG storage device in TWRP if you like to install, that's no problem!... If you are modding and the likes, best is to have an external sdcard, just for safeties sake.

C6602: How to update to 10.3.A.0.423:

NOTE: STICK TO THIS ORDER AND STEPS!!
  1. For C6602: Download C6602.flashable.423.zip (Bittorrent: 686MB) and C6602_10.3.A.0.423-stripped.ftf (15MB), save it somewhere you remember;
  2. Put 'C6602.flashable.423.zip' on (the external) SDcard1;
  3. Put 'C6602_10.3.A.0.423-stripped.ftf' inside the Flashtool/firmwares folder;
  4. Create a backup of your phone in CWM or TWRP and don't forget to backup the contents of 'SDCard0';
  5. Flash 'C6602.flashable.423.zip' in TWRP, do not reboot but go back to the main menu, then go to reboot->power off;
  6. Flash everything in 'C6602_10.3.A.0.423-stripped.ftf';
  7. Reboot to system without clearing (dalvik-/)cache.

C6603: How to update to 10.3.A.0.423:

NOTE: STICK TO THIS ORDER AND STEPS!!
  1. For C6603: Download C6603.flashable.423.zip (Bittorrent: 719MB) and C6603_10.3.A.0.423-stripped.ftf (15MB), save it somewhere you remember;
  2. Put 'C6603.flashable.423.zip' on (the external) SDcard1;
  3. Put 'C6603_10.3.A.0.423-stripped.ftf' inside the Flashtool/firmwares folder;
  4. Create a backup of your phone in CWM or TWRP and don't forget to backup the contents of 'SDCard0';
  5. Flash 'C6603.flashable.423.zip' in TWRP, do not reboot but go back to the main menu, then go to reboot->power off;
  6. Flash everything in 'C6603_10.3.A.0.423-stripped.ftf';
  7. Reboot to system without clearing (dalvik-/)cache.

The first boot will be considerably slower and after a long wait at the boot animation you will see Android optimizing the apps on your phone.
After updating your NFC firmware and some update information has been displayed, all is done!

I have done this myself, using my own method and I have not found any problem yet, again!

Enjoy!

Known XZDualRecovery Issues:

TWRP Usage warning: It seems TWRP 2.5.0.0 has issues with the internal storage, which seem related to the changes made to support encrypted storage volumes... This means the internal storage sometimes shows up almost empty (just folders) and no files. Try to use CWM when that happens.

Busybox Updater/Installer: If you have XZDualRecovery installed, un-install any Busybox updating app/tool as most if not all of them will install a version of busybox which does not support the lzma compression applets XZDualRecovery depends on. The version installed together with XZDualRecovery is very stable and I have yet to hear anyone complain about it's stability.

How to report errors:
Please, before shouting out "It doesn't work!!1!" or "I lost root!" or even "My phone reboots when remounting /system RW!!" try the following:
  • Restore a /system ONLY using any means you are familiar with so you can try again.
  • Root it using [Z][ROOT] DooMLoRD Easy Rooting Toolkit.
  • Install XZDualRecovery and then try to update again using TWRP. This time you can skip the FTF as it has already done it's job.
  • If it still fails something from there on: LOGS!!.
    NOTE: The important ones can be found in /cache/recovery and in /tmp/XZDualRecovery, pack them up and send them to me.

Thank you

Flashable ROM Mutator:

Download AROMA ROM Mutator 0.14

This (former patch package) uses AROMA to create a user friendly menu to choose between updates to be installed.
  • If you want to switch from SuperSU (default in this ROM) to SuperUser (Be careful, SuperUser is incompatible with 4.2.2!) you can use this to make the change.
  • If you have the reboot problem when trying to remount /system writable, you can reinstall the superuser app of your preference, it's installation includes the latest patch.
  • If you are missing /system/bin/chargemon.stock and you want to be able to charge your phone while it's turned off.
Flash using one of the recoveries!

Version 0.13 and upwards is using AROMA 2.70B1 or better, the below warning can be ignored for now. Let me know how it performs!

AROMA Warning: AROMA currently works best in TWRP but even there it has some issues on the Z/ZL. It sometimes does not start up correctly or it has a 'sticky button' issue. It makes it a little less easy to use but this will be fixed in time. It is a combination problem caused by the new hardware and incompatibility with it and the fact the recoveries both have been updated considerably to work on the latest phones, causing issues with some functionality of AROMA.
  • If it hangs when trying to start, reboot your phone and try again.
  • If it has the sticky buttons, press the button again to activate.
    You can avoid the sticky buttons by pressing them for about half a second (that means not too short and not too long). It will work, it's just showing a bug associated with the latest recoveries.
  • The Samsung S4, HTC One and One X and the Nexus 4 & 7 show the same issues. For them AROMA sometimes crashes, this is an issue i have not yet observed on the Z/ZL.

Thanks go to @Androxyde for the FTF creation, cheers m8!
The Following 51 Users Say Thank You to [NUT] For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift [NUT] Ad-Free

25th June 2013, 03:05 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
nice! so does that mean we dont need to factory wipe before upgrading? I thought if we go across versions (4.1.2 > 4.2.2) you gotta wipe all your stuff first.
The Following User Says Thank You to dopeee For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dopeee Ad-Free
25th June 2013, 03:08 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 22

Donate to Me
More
After flashing the stripped ftf, the phone doesn't go into recovery. It shows green light, Sony logo and nothing else. Then it just reboot again. Already tried downloaing the file and flashing again. still the same problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to zanndoth For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift zanndoth Ad-Free
25th June 2013, 03:16 AM |#4  
Ya, I need manual install dual boot to access back to CWM/TWRP then just can install but the preinstall superuser root is not working at all.

Root working back by installing DooMLoRD Easy Rooting Toolkit (v15) - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2327472
25th June 2013, 03:21 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 15

More
Is there any reason why the dalvik cache are not wiped in this release process?

Is it simply a speed/optimisation thing, or will it cause issues if it happens?
25th June 2013, 04:49 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 16

More
Comming from PAC... Do i need to install other Stock rom before update or just use the instructions above? thanks.
25th June 2013, 05:20 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 277

More
Ok, so this is what ive done to get this to boot, on existing rom with recovery installed I flashed the .432.zip, obviously it bootlooped, but then flashed the ftf file which got the rom to boot. Then rooted and installed recovery as Andrewtst has linked to above.

Cheers.
25th June 2013, 07:01 AM |#8  
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Can't download the zip and ftf file, doesnt work, anyone can confirm that? can you reuploading or verify if is everything ok, thx for the work you done.
25th June 2013, 07:23 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanndoth

After flashing the stripped ftf, the phone doesn't go into recovery. It shows green light, Sony logo and nothing else. Then it just reboot again. Already tried downloaing the file and flashing again. still the same problem.

I got into the same problem, and cannot get out. Anyone has any advice?
25th June 2013, 08:10 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 10

More
please fix dead links
25th June 2013, 08:15 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Cyberspace and the Universe
Thanks Meter: 10,426

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeee

nice! so does that mean we dont need to factory wipe before upgrading? I thought if we go across versions (4.1.2 > 4.2.2) you gotta wipe all your stuff first.

I found out with the leak by doomlord that it would be possible to update, no need to wipe, the official update works even better

Quote:
Originally Posted by lysp

Is there any reason why the dalvik cache are not wiped in this release process?

Is it simply a speed/optimisation thing, or will it cause issues if it happens?

It's meant as an update process and not wiping anything will make the ROM treat your phone as one that just got updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faelz

Comming from PAC... Do i need to install other Stock rom before update or just use the instructions above? thanks.

Yes, you need a stock ROM before you can flash this, I would not recommend updating your phone from PAC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungknees

Ok, so this is what ive done to get this to boot, on existing rom with recovery installed I flashed the .432.zip, obviously it bootlooped, but then flashed the ftf file which got the rom to boot. Then rooted and installed recovery as Andrewtst has linked to above.

Cheers.

&
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanndoth

&
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuazy

I got into the same problem, and cannot get out. Anyone has any advice?

I have modified the guide a bit as i should have done before i posted it...

Restore the kernel to anything other then the 4.2.2 one and then try to flash the update package, after flashing the update, re-flash the kernel.

I made one error in my guide: If someone is not using the correct version of XZDualRecovery (2.5 BETA) then you lose recovery when on the 4.2.2 kernel. The correct steps order to prevent this from happening are now in the OP.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to [NUT] For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift [NUT] Ad-Free
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
4.2.2, rooted, stock, update, xzdualrecovery
Previous Thread Next Thread