[GUIDE] Download ANY firmware customization from Sony & create an FTF with Flashtool

Search This thread

Apollo89

Mar 9, 2013
[GUIDE] Download ANY firmware customization from Sony & create an FTF with Flashtool

Part A: changing your customization number to download a different firmware customization (optional)

Requirements:

1. Start BuildProp Editor.
  2. When a Superuser request pops up, tap 'Grant' or 'Allow'.

8i5m.png

3. At the first start, a backup of 'build.prop' will be created automatically, which can be restored in case of any problems.

7bet.png

4. Scroll down to 'ro.semc.version.cust' and tap it.

51zc.png

5. Change the value to the customization number of the firmware you want to download.

skwg.png

6. When asked to reboot, tap 'No'.

m7z.png

7. Tap 'ro.semc.version.cus_revision' and change the value to 'R1A'.

v81c.png

8. When asked to reboot, tap 'Yes'.

Part B: downloading firmware with Sony PC Companion

Requirements:

1. Delete this folder if it already exists:
    - Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sony Mobile\Update Engine\db
    - Windows Vista/7/8: C:\ProgramData\Sony Mobile\Update Engine\db
  2. Start Sony PC Companion.
  • Case A: new software version available

8g3.png

1. Click 'Update'.

2. Click 'Accept'.

n77.png

3. If you only want to download the firmware without updating, disconnect your phone as soon as the "Downloading software..." screen appears.

goyk.png

4. If you disconnected your phone, this window will appear, which you may close. Otherwise your phone software will be updated.

nq2.png
  • Case B: no new software version available

pqp8.png

1. Click 'Your Phone / Tablet is up to date'.

2. Click 'repair my phone / tablet'.

3kr.png

3. Click 'Next'.

p5bc.png

4. Repairing your phone will delete your personal data and settings. If you don't want this, see step 6. Click 'Continue'.

7hq.png

5. Tick the checkbox and click 'Next'.

9f5h.png

6. If you only want to download the firmware without repairing, disconnect your phone as soon as the "Downloading software..." screen appears.

goyk.png

7. If you disconnected your phone, this window will appear, which you may close. Otherwise your phone software will be repaired and your personal data will be lost.

nq2.png

Part C: creating an FTF file with Flashtool

Requirements:
  • Flashtool
  • Firmware files from Sony PC Companion or Sony Update Service (see part B).

1. Start Flashtool or Flashtool64 (for 64-bit Windows).
  2. Click 'Tools' > 'SEUS Decrypt'.

4m7.png

3. Select the 'Source Folder' (copy-pasting this path will not work):
    - Sony PC Companion (Windows XP): C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sony Mobile\Update Engine\db\13740270\blob_fs
    - Sony PC Companion (Windows Vista/7/8): C:\ProgramData\Sony Mobile\Update Engine\db\13740270\blob_fs
    - Sony Update Service (32-bit Windows): C:\Program Files\Sony Mobile\Update Service\db\13740270\blob_fs
    - Sony Update Service (64-bit Windows): C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony Mobile\Update Service\db\13740270\blob_fs
    Move all 'Available files' to 'Files to convert' by selecting them and clicking the right arrow button.
    Click 'Convert'.

c6w.png

4gsd.png

4. Enter the following details:
    - Device: your phone model, e.g. 'C6602', 'C6603', 'C6606' or 'C6616' for Xperia Z (see 'Settings' > 'About phone' > 'Model number').
    - Branding: can be found in the first columns of these tables by looking up the customization number, e.g. 'Customized US'.
    - Version: the build number of the firmware, e.g. '10.1.1.A.1.307'.
    Move all files from 'folder list' to 'Firmware content' except *.ta files (e.g. simlock.ta, preset1.ta, cust-reset.ta, ...) by selecting them and clicking the right arrow button.
    Click 'Create'.

mh3c.png

5. When you see 'Bundle creation finished', your FTF will be in 'C:\Flashtool\firmwares'. If your combination of device/branding/build is not yet available on xda-developers forum, please be so kind to share it (see part D).

cdfc.png

6. To save about 2 GB of disk space, delete this folder:
    - Sony PC Companion (Windows XP): C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sony Mobile\Update Engine\db\13740270\blob_fs
    - Sony PC Companion (Windows Vista/7/8): C:\ProgramData\Sony Mobile\Update Engine\db\13740270\blob_fs
    - Sony Update Service (32-bit Windows): C:\Program Files\Sony Mobile\Update Service\db\13740270\blob_fs
    - Sony Update Service (64-bit Windows): C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony Mobile\Update Service\db\13740270\blob_fs

Part D: sharing your FTF on xda-developers forum

1. Upload your FTF to a file host. I use Dev-Host for this purpose, but it only supports files up to 512 MB, so I use WinRAR to pack my FTF with the following options: 'Compression method' = 'store' (since FTF is already compressed), 'Split to volumes, size' = '512 MB'. Of course you can use a different file host and archiver if required. Please note that Google Drive, Dropbox and Box all have bandwidth quotas, so your shared files may be disabled if they are downloaded too much.
  2. Create a new thread on xda-developers forum in 'Xperia Z General' and include at least the following information:
    - Device
    - Build number
    - Android version
    - Customization version
    - Region
    - Branding
    - Download links
    Here is an example: [STOCK ROM][FTF] Xperia Z (C6603) 10.1.1.A.1.253 Generic BE (Unbranded/Belgium)

If this post was helpful, don't forget to click the 'Thanks' button.

Last edited:

LedFanatic

May 19, 2013
[*]If you just want to download the firmware without flashing it to your phone: watch the download progress very closely. When the end is near, start holding the USB connector. As soon as the download is completed (see screenshot), IMMEDIATELY DISCONNECT YOUR PHONE. Timing is crucial here. If you disconnect it before downloading is finished, the download will stop. If you disconnect it too late, you might lose data. I used this method several times without losing any data. My experience is that the download progress bar suddenly goes to 100%, before you would expect it, so be prepared!

Thank you for your guide.:)

I just want to add that with "PC companion", I disconnected my phone before the end of the downloading and it didn't stop. I make my own .253 FTF without problem.
Somebody could confirm ?

Apollo89

Mar 9, 2013

I just want to add that with "PC companion", I disconnected my phone before the end of the downloading and it didn't stop. I make my own .253 FTF without problem.
Somebody could confirm ?

You're right! :)
When restoring with PC Companion, you can disconnect your phone during the download.
The downloaded files will be in 'C:\ProgramData\Sony Ericsson\Update Engine\db\13740270\blob_fs'.
The only thing I'm not sure of, is if PC Companion also downloads the full image when updating?
I will download my next update with PC Companion. If the files are the same as with Sony Update Service, then I will update this guide.

LedFanatic

May 19, 2013
When restoring with PC Companion, you can disconnect your phone during the download.
The downloaded files will be in 'C:\ProgramData\Sony Ericsson\Update Engine\db\13740270\blob_fs'.
The only thing I'm not sure of, is if PC Companion also downloads the full image when updating?
I will download my next update with PC Companion. If the files are the same as with Sony Update Service, then I will update this guide.

What I can tell you is that I made my 253.ftf and 253.zip from an updating PC companion process between .434 to .253. But I didn't compare if the files are the same as with SUS. I use flashtool to flash the ftf and TWRP to recovery flash the zip and didn't have problem...

As soon as the .307 will be available here in France, I will try to reproduce the same process and let you know :)

relicks

Jan 5, 2011
Changing build.prop not worked for me :(
Sony update service downloads same customization version - before change file.(phone restarted after change)

Last edited:

Apollo89

Mar 9, 2013
Changing build.prop not worked for me :(
Sony update service downloads same customization version - before change file.(phone restarted after change)

Are you sure you changed the right value? There are multiple entries with your customization number in build.prop, but it's (only) this one you should change: 'ro.semc.version.cust='. After changing this value, save and close build.prop and open it again to check if it has been saved correctly. Also, did you delete the folder 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony Mobile\Update Service\db' before starting Sony Update Service?

Reactions: DoO37

relicks

Jan 5, 2011
Are you sure you changed the right value? There are multiple entries with your customization number in build.prop, but it's (only) this one you should change: 'ro.semc.version.cust='. After changing this value, save and close build.prop and open it again to check if it has been saved correctly. Also, did you delete the folder 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony Mobile\Update Service\db' before starting Sony Update Service?

Yes i am sure. "ro.semc.version.cust" was 1270-7689 (generic UK), and i changed it to 1271-5145 (generic Turkey). And i duble check the value after save it, delete db folder.

Apollo89

Mar 9, 2013
Yes i am sure. "ro.semc.version.cust" was 1270-7689 (generic UK), and i changed it to 1271-5145 (generic Turkey). And i duble check the value after save it, delete db folder.

That's very strange. I successfully downloaded three other customizations by using this method. A guy who PM'd me was also able to change from 'Generic UK' to 'Vodafone UK' by following this guide. Are you sure SUS was downloading 'Generic UK' again?

gm007

May 29, 2011
That's very strange. I successfully downloaded three other customizations by using this method. A guy who PM'd me was also able to change from 'Generic UK' to 'Vodafone UK' by following this guide. Are you sure SUS was downloading 'Generic UK' again?

I think you need to change also the id for ro.product.name=
And ro.semc.version.cus_revision=

That what i did to make it work.

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium

Reactions: Apollo89

Apollo89

Mar 9, 2013
I think you need to change also the id for ro.product.name=
And ro.semc.version.cus_revision=

That what i did to make it work.

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium

I didn't have to change those values, but something just came to my mind: I had ro.semc.version.cus_revision=R3A and I downloaded firmwares with R4A, R6A and R11A (all higher).
The guy who changed from 'Generic UK' to 'Vodafone (UK)', changed from R14A to R16A (also higher), but he said he first tried to change to 'Generic ES', which is R5A (lower), and it didn't work.
When I check the latest firmware versions with the URL you can find here (see browser bookmark), I get an empty response if the 'cdfVer=' in the URL is higher than the one of that customization, so I always use cdfVer=R1A there.
This will probably also do the trick here!
@relicks, could you try to change your values to this (without changing anything else):
ro.semc.version.cust=1271-5145
ro.semc.version.cus_revision=R1A
and see if that works? I think it will :)

relicks

Jan 5, 2011
I didn't have to change those values, but something just came to my mind: I had ro.semc.version.cus_revision=R3A and I downloaded firmwares with R4A, R6A and R11A (all higher).
The guy who changed from 'Generic UK' to 'Vodafone (UK)', changed from R14A to R16A (also higher), but he said he first tried to change to 'Generic ES', which is R5A (lower), and it didn't work.
When I check the latest firmware versions with the URL you can find here (see browser bookmark), I get an empty response if the 'cdfVer=' in the URL is higher than the one of that customization, so I always use cdfVer=R1A there.
This will probably also do the trick here!

@relicks, could you try to change your values to this (without changing anything else):
ro.semc.version.cus_revision=R1A
and see if that works? I think it will :)

nope :(
It says Your phone has already latest firmware.

Apollo89

Mar 9, 2013
nope :(
It says Your phone has already latest firmware.

Does Sony Update Service still offer the option to do a factory reset? I have had this problem where factory reset wasn't even available anymore.
I had to restore the original build.prop from my backup, then I rebooted and SUS gave the factory reset option again.
After that, I modified build.prop again, rebooted and then it worked.

If that still doesn't work, you can try this:
ro.semc.version.cus_revision=R7A

Don't forget to do a full reboot each time you change something in build.prop and delete the SUS db folder.

relicks

Jan 5, 2011
Does Sony Update Service still offer the option to do a factory reset? I have had this problem where factory reset wasn't even available anymore.
I had to restore the original build.prop from my backup, then I rebooted and SUS gave the factory reset option again.
After that, I modified build.prop again, rebooted and then it worked.

If that still doesn't work, you can try this:
ro.semc.version.cus_revision=R7A

Don't forget to do a full reboot each time you change something in build.prop and delete the SUS db folder.

Thanks mate, it is now ok.:good:
But question, it was .434 before after do these things it downloads .253 and i loose root. Is it possible download .434 same customization number for rooting?

Apollo89

Mar 9, 2013
Thanks mate, it is now ok.:good:
But question, it was .434 before after do these things it downloads .253 and i loose root. Is it possible download .434 same customization number for rooting?

What did the trick? You just tried again with 'R1A'? Or did you use 'R7A'?
No, unfortunately it is not possible to download previous firmware versions from Sony. You can only downgrade if you can find the right FTF file online.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Part A: changing your customization number to download a different firmware customization (optional)

Requirements:

1. Start BuildProp Editor.
    2. When a Superuser request pops up, tap 'Grant' or 'Allow'.

8i5m.png

3. At the first start, a backup of 'build.prop' will be created automatically, which can be restored in case of any problems.

7bet.png

4. Scroll down to 'ro.semc.version.cust' and tap it.

51zc.png

5. Change the value to the customization number of the firmware you want to download.

skwg.png

6. When asked to reboot, tap 'No'.

m7z.png

7. Tap 'ro.semc.version.cus_revision' and change the value to 'R1A'.

v81c.png

8. When asked to reboot, tap 'Yes'.

Part B: downloading firmware with Sony PC Companion

Requirements:

1. Delete this folder if it already exists:
      - Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sony Mobile\Update Engine\db
      - Windows Vista/7/8: C:\ProgramData\Sony Mobile\Update Engine\db
    2. Start Sony PC Companion.
    • Case A: new software version available

8g3.png

1. Click 'Update'.

2. Click 'Accept'.

n77.png

3. If you only want to download the firmware without updating, disconnect your phone as soon as the "Downloading software..." screen appears.

goyk.png

4. If you disconnected your phone, this window will appear, which you may close. Otherwise your phone software will be updated.

nq2.png
    • Case B: no new software version available

pqp8.png

1. Click 'Your Phone / Tablet is up to date'.

2. Click 'repair my phone / tablet'.

3kr.png

3. Click 'Next'.

p5bc.png

4. Repairing your phone will delete your personal data and settings. If you don't want this, see step 6. Click 'Continue'.

7hq.png

5. Tick the checkbox and click 'Next'.

9f5h.png

6. If you only want to download the firmware without repairing, disconnect your phone as soon as the "Downloading software..." screen appears.

goyk.png

7. If you disconnected your phone, this window will appear, which you may close. Otherwise your phone software will be repaired and your personal data will be lost.

nq2.png

Part C: creating an FTF file with Flashtool

Requirements:
    • Flashtool
    • Firmware files from Sony PC Companion or Sony Update Service (see part B).

1. Start Flashtool or Flashtool64 (for 64-bit Windows).
    2. Click 'Tools' > 'SEUS Decrypt'.

4m7.png

3. Select the 'Source Folder' (copy-pasting this path will not work):
      Move all 'Available files' to 'Files to convert' by selecting them and clicking the right arrow button.
      Click 'Convert'.

c6w.png

4gsd.png

4. Enter the following details:
      - Device: your phone model, e.g. 'C6602', 'C6603', 'C6606' or 'C6616' for Xperia Z (see 'Settings' > 'About phone' > 'Model number').
      - Branding: can be found in the first columns of these tables by looking up the customization number, e.g. 'Customized US'.
      - Version: the build number of the firmware, e.g. '10.1.1.A.1.307'.
      Move all files from 'folder list' to 'Firmware content' except *.ta files (e.g. simlock.ta, preset1.ta, cust-reset.ta, ...) by selecting them and clicking the right arrow button.
      Click 'Create'.

mh3c.png

5. When you see 'Bundle creation finished', your FTF will be in 'C:\Flashtool\firmwares'. If your combination of device/branding/build is not yet available on xda-developers forum, please be so kind to share it (see part D).

cdfc.png

6. To save about 2 GB of disk space, delete this folder:

Part D: sharing your FTF on xda-developers forum

1. Upload your FTF to a file host. I use Dev-Host for this purpose, but it only supports files up to 512 MB, so I use WinRAR to pack my FTF with the following options: 'Compression method' = 'store' (since FTF is already compressed), 'Split to volumes, size' = '512 MB'. Of course you can use a different file host and archiver if required. Please note that Google Drive, Dropbox and Box all have bandwidth quotas, so your shared files may be disabled if they are downloaded too much.
    2. Create a new thread on xda-developers forum in 'Xperia Z General' and include at least the following information:
      - Device
      - Build number
      - Android version
      - Customization version
      - Region
      - Branding
      - Download links
      Here is an example: [STOCK ROM][FTF] Xperia Z (C6603) 10.1.1.A.1.253 Generic BE (Unbranded/Belgium)

If this post was helpful, don't forget to click the 'Thanks' button.
    Is a locked bootloader really necessary for step A?

Not really for part A, but it is required for part B (because Sony Update Service will only work with a locked bootloader) and part A is useless without part B :)
    However, if your bootloader is unlocked, you can use "Flash tool for Xperia™ devices" (Sony Emma).
    thank you very much.
    I have a noob question... Why we must exclude all TA files? If they come with the files provided by sony companion, why they are bad?

That's a valid question. I once asked this to Androxyde, the creator of Flashtool, and he replied the following:

I never flashed the latest FILE_XXXXX which is a TA file. When I watch usblogs from SEUS, PCC or Emma, this file is not flashed so I would advice not to flash it.

Actually I updated my decrypt code to be more accurate. That is why you can now decrypt this file :)

To be safe, it was working without this file before ... so exclude it from FTF bundles.

So it seems like Sony PC Companion doesn't use it either. It might be something which they can use in service centers for certain repair jobs. Looking at the file name and content, it seems to reset something related to the customization:

cust-reset.ta
    Code:
    //===========================================================
    // Active customization reset
    // Generated by SACCO

// 2212
    000008A4 000E 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

preset1.ta
    Code:
    // Created: 20130308 08:59
    // Author:  Jonas Lundgren, 23051296

// 2212
    000008A4 000E 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

As you can see, 'cust-reset.ta' and 'preset1.ta' contain different comments, but in fact they do exactly the same (zeroing 14 bytes, starting at address 000008A4). The Trim Area (TA) is an important part of your firmware. It contains device-specific codes and it's the only part which normally doesn't get flashed. If it gets damaged, your phone may be hard bricked (which means that it's not working anymore and you cannot repair it).

Somebody could confirm ?

I updated my xz through flash tool to 4.2.2 TW generic as my region did not get the update yet .
    If i flash another generic one 4.2.2 with same method will i lose my data?
    If after flashing the other 4.2.2 generic i want to root, will i lose data?
    If the answer is no i wont lose data for flashing which steps should i follow as i can see in posts some things about recovery twrp or cwm which i dont have as i "did not unlock my bootloader"

You will not lose data by flashing a different firmware customization if you untick DATA in Flashtool.
    You will not lose data by rooting.
    You don't need recovery to flash stock firmware. Just use this guide or download an FTF and flash it with Flashtool (see tutorial).

Sony Update Service Tool say that there is not any update to install...
    I think that the only way is to flash a Generic IT rom with flashtool and then make the update.

Probably. But please remember that 10.3.A.0.423 is not available yet for Generic IT. By downgrading to 10.1.1.A.1.253, you would have to wipe all your data. Better wait until 10.3.A.0.423 has been released for Generic IT.