FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

View Poll Results: Waiting for Xperia GX/Hayabusa?

YES, waiting for Xperia GX..

282 Vote(s)
53.21%
NO, happy with Xperia S..

248 Vote(s)
46.79%

[NEWS/INFO][SONY XPERIA ZU/HONAMI] Sony Xperia 2012 to 2014 Devices

3,331 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,460

By xperiax10.awesome, Senior Member on 7th May 2012, 06:09 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
21st June 2012, 09:25 PM |#1211  
Thanks Meter: 143

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by karun11

They probably wouldn't. Marketing. That's all this quad core gimmick is all about. But needless to say, it works. People dont know much...but comparing 2 devices a tegra 3 powered and a s4 dual core, they're like "quad core one is better" and they end up buying it. Atleast thats the way its in my country.
And this i'm saying in India, one of the few markets where Sony still commands a premium. It is the leader in the mid segment here. Most people aren't tech enthusiasts but advertising feeds them and they simply gobble it up.

Sony wouldnt want to be seen as a company which is one step behind. That's my point. It isn't. But is probably perceived to be so. And that's what needs to change. So Sony will have to play the game. Dual cores are going to be strictly mid end from 2013.

Different countries - different marketing.

For example, here in Europe I can't even remember any marketing campagne from anyone emphasizing core count or gigahurtz or even gigabytes.
Everyone tries to press on some lifestyle, fluid UX, ease of use, pretty design. Like happy babies, perfect photos of dogs, some wonderful gimmick as easy as just two clicks and so on.

22nd June 2012, 05:10 AM |#1212  
Thanks Meter: 1,374

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercoolman

if you buy an unlocked phone on your own, do you pay less per month to your carrier for the same voice/data plan?

Nope same plan prices no matter what.

Sent from my Lumia 900
22nd June 2012, 05:57 AM |#1213  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre51

Nope same plan prices no matter what.

Sent from my Lumia 900

then I don't understand why is he claiming "Carriers don't subsidize phones."

for the same plan and same phone. he would pay significantly less over the course of 2-3 years with carrier subsidized phone over buying phone at full price on his own.
22nd June 2012, 09:25 AM |#1214  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Sonys looks like it's planning on spending a pretty penny (about a billion dollars) on boosting its production on CMOS sensors over the next year. Sonys CMOS sensors are already the products from many, MANY other manufacturers, so hopefully we'll see this trend continue and grow. Hopefully it's also a sign of bigger and better things on the camera front for their own mobile devices:

http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/0...85L09D20120622

As a whole, it looks like Sony is trying to make some major changes to its business structure. First we had steps like the buyout of the Sony Ericsson joint venture. Then we had Sony selling its stake in its LCD joint venture with Samsung. Then we had Sony selling its relatively smaller stake in its LCD investment with Sharp. Now we've got rumours about Sony teaming up with Panasonic for OLED TVs - who knows if this will also cover smaller devices like phones and tablets, or if they're relying on AUO or JDI for that. The Panasonic/Sony joint venture is rumoured to be announced next week.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...cials-say.html

Then we have the most up to date rumours about Olympus and Sony being the leading candidate to bail them out by investing about $623 million for 10% of their business. It seems that Sony will get access to some of Olympus's tech as part of that deal, including camera and medical stuff. I suppose this could lead to possible advances in Sonys mobile division as well, but as they seem keen to branch into the medical field, I think that might be the primary reason for this move:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

Then we have more outlier rumours like Sony being interested in aquiring Gaikai for its online streaming business potentially for the Playstation 4. This could have the potential of allowing mobile users to stream PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP and Vita games to your mobile phone and tablet, but would of course be a killer on the bandwith side of things. Those rumours kind of fizzled out after E3, but it looks like Gaikai is putting out feelers for a buyer so who knows.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/21/31...llion#comments

Anyways, the point of all this is that it seems that Sony and its new management isn't content to just sit back and take it easy and apparently is keen on transforming Sonys business in big ways. I can only hope they succeed and can bring Sony as a whole back to its glory days where they reigned supreme in the tech world.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vivftp For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vivftp Ad-Free
22nd June 2012, 01:21 PM |#1215  
Thanks Meter: 143

More
Quote:

for the same plan and same phone. he would pay significantly less over the course of 2-3 years with carrier subsidized phone over buying phone at full price on his own.

In Europe there IS a siginificant difference if You buy a "subsidized" phone or not.

Some telcos try to conceal it by offering different contracts at different prices, some with "cheap" phones and some without.

Others are more transparent, where you basically get to choose a contract and additionally can finance a phone for a specific downpayment and monthly rate.

So, you as consumer are free to decide if you just pay like 20$ monthly for service and buy your own device on the free market. Or you pay like 50$ monthly, where 20$ is for service and 30$ for device.

I think it is much more flexible and "liberal" approach as the one we see in the US of A.
22nd June 2012, 01:25 PM |#1216  
Flag Leuven / Sint-Truiden
Thanks Meter: 915

More
Quote:

if you buy an unlocked phone on your own, do you pay less per month to your carrier for the same voice/data plan?

Don't mind that US guy's reply :P In Belgium there are no plans which include a phone. There are some that offer a discount on phones (for example, €100 off your phone if you buy it together with your plan), but if you don't buy a phone at that time you just get €100 off your plan. So in the end it doesn't matter.

In Belgium there are no locked or carrier branded phones. All stores and carriers sell unlocked unbranded devices.
22nd June 2012, 06:02 PM |#1217  
Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 921

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambroos

In Belgium there are no locked or carrier branded phones. All stores and carriers sell unlocked unbranded devices.

Which I think is the RIGHT way to do the business.

I NEVER sign for a 2 year contract and buy a carrier subsidized phone here in USA.
22nd June 2012, 06:11 PM |#1218  
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambroos

Don't mind that US guy's reply :P In Belgium there are no plans which include a phone. There are some that offer a discount on phones (for example, €100 off your phone if you buy it together with your plan), but if you don't buy a phone at that time you just get €100 off your plan. So in the end it doesn't matter.

that sounds like a better way of selling a phone than what we have in NA

---------- Post added at 09:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by richteralan

I NEVER sign for a 2 year contract and buy a carrier subsidized phone here in USA.

many people cannot afford a phone without carrier subsidizing it
22nd June 2012, 06:41 PM |#1219  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by richteralan

How, and why?
22nd June 2012, 07:21 PM |#1220  
Thanks Meter: 73

More
Sony trademarks Xperia ado, Xperia amo, Xperia ilo and Xperia sora
22nd June 2012, 08:45 PM |#1221  
Quote:

Me neither. They do, and in the UK it's been a practice that has existed ever since the first mobile phones went on sale in the 1980s.

By signing up your contract, the retailer/dealer/distributor is given a discount off the cost of the SIM-free price that allows them to give you the phone for free, or almost free. When a phone is cheap enough, not only might it be free but you might have enough money left over for cashback or an Xbox or something.

I wonder if these names are registered as they're similar to existing products and Sony is trying to stop anyone else using the names (think Chinese clones?!)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)