FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

Sony becoming HTC..More phones this year..WTH!

1,075 posts
Thanks Meter: 122

By ethan3686, Senior Member on 29th March 2013, 07:52 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Quote:

Sony about to unleash four new Android smartphones later this year

Sony has been on quite a roll. At least as far as mobile phone launches are concerned. This year alone, five handsets in different segments have been launched by the company. These range from the high-end Xperia Z and ZL to the mid-range Xperia SP to the low-tier Xperia E and Xperia L. But it seems the company is not stopping at just these five.

According to the rumour, a certain Sony Xperia A, codenamed Dogo, will be added to the Japanese carrier NTT DoCoMo’s line-up sometime in the summer months. It is said to have a 4.6-inch screen and is powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 processor. Other specs include 2GB of RAM, 32GB of native storage and a 2300 mAh battery capacity. The phone will be water and dust resistant, like the Xperia Z and Tablet Z, and will bring along support for NFC. An IR Blaster is also said to be aboard.

Also on the roadmap is the Sony Xperia UL, which we are dreading to see since it is codenamed Gaga. The phone is said to be very closely based on the Sony Xperia ZL and will also have a Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 under the hood. Other specs that have leaked of the Xperia UL say it will have 32GB of internal storage, 2GB of RAM and a 2300 mAh battery as well as NFC support.

http://tech2.in.com/news/smartphones...is-year/855412

So they are just gonna churn out phones after phones..Xperia Z will be forgotten even before the end of the year this way..And apart from that..why so many phones? And with same capabilities of XZ? Whats wrong with sony..Htc just learnt its lesson!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ethan3686 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ethan3686 Ad-Free

29th March 2013, 08:06 AM |#2  
Flag Moscow
Thanks Meter: 79

More
Releases of new phones won't make your Z any worse, FYI.

As long as Sony release 4.2.2 and hopefully 5.0 there's nothing wrong with them spamming the market.
The Following User Says Thank You to Al Gore For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Al Gore Ad-Free
29th March 2013, 08:13 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag India

More
Its not just about firmware..If you release so many phones in the market the brand value of a flagship like XZ decreases as your giving same features and water/dust proofing on lower end phones.. what was so unique about XZ? this was one of the key factors.
The Following User Says Thank You to ethan3686 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ethan3686 Ad-Free
29th March 2013, 09:00 AM |#4  
Flag Belfast
Thanks Meter: 41

More
Re: Sony becoming HTC..More phones this year..WTH!
Well Sony are not going competed in the mobile market only releasing a couple of handsets pair year. If they did they may as well just go home. Think Apple are the only manufacturer that could truly do that at present. Remember Sony are struggling at the moment. So if this is there business strategy then so be it. I still love my XZ price depreciation and all.

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium
29th March 2013, 09:41 AM |#5  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 125

More
Well company needs to capture the market, Z is already running on an old processor, flagship from HTC and Samsung are using faster processors already, they have to keep up the fight with them. That said i am sure Z will get upgraded to 5.0 and we should not care much about other phones.
29th March 2013, 10:52 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag India

More
XZ does not have an 'old' processor..Yes its S4 Pro but its clocked and implemented in such a way that its 2 time faster than nexus 4 with the same processor.

Everything can be run on an XZ that S4 and HTC one can do..There is nothing they can do extra. The jump from XZ to ONE is 30% and that is just benchmarks..In real life usage you will be able to use any app or game that the HTC ONE plays..Battery endurance test on gsm arena is same 48hr for both..Btw HTC ONE Gl graphics benchmark is just 30 fps..Which is lower than XZ

P.S- XZ is cheaper than HTC ONE AND S4...I got it for 644$ in my country..S4 and HTC ONE are coming for Around 773$
29th March 2013, 11:53 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 79

More
While I do understand you might feel bad that your Z will get outdated soon, you should also understand the situation Sony is in currently.

The Mobile business is THE most crucial business for Sony currently and their future depends on it. If they can consolidate market share further and grab the No.3 spot with a solid lead over HTC, Huawei, ZTE etc it will secure the future of Sony Group as a whole.

So new phones will definitely keep coming this year as Sony needs to survive.
29th March 2013, 11:57 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 223

More
I think it's a bad mistake. Dilution of the brand can never be a good idea. This is not a question about keeping up with the competition, if they wanted to do that, then they should have strived to release the Z with the 600 cpu. Releasing devices with that cpu in September or October will not make any impression because by then all eyes will have turned to the 800 cpu and whatever Qualcomm has to offer after that.
This strategy didn't turn out too well for the Xperia T, the phone that quick time forgot. Even the Xperia S is still regarded by most as Sony's flagship of 2012.
Sony should not get too involved in the spec race, well as far as cpus go anyway. The s4 pro on the Z is plenty fine and it's not it's weakness.
Sony's major problem is software development, everywhere you look the Xperia brand is being let down by software. Whether it be releasing phones with dated os and taking forever to update. The Xperia S is still waiting for JB while the galaxy s2, Samsung's phone of 2011 is about to get it if it hasn't already.
On top of that, you often get very weak software from Sony that takes ages for them to improve.
The software on my Z is its weakest link, whether it be the ui lag or the poor camera software that means you really have to take your time to get the best results from the camera.
Again and again, the hardware is being let down by the software.
Considering how lean and feature poor the Sony software is, it's really shockingly poor that it takes them so long to a) release stable builds and b) roll out updates.
Samsung's touchwiz is packed to the hilt with loads of software additions but yet, Samsung get it out quicker, up to date, and more stable than Sony can dream of right now.
For me, this is where Sony falls down really badly. They really need to bring in some excellent developers to turn things around.
Having a so called flagship waiting almost a year for a software update is just pathetic.
I said it before, I'll reserve my final judgement on the Z until I see the 4.2.2 software because I know it takes Sony linger than most to put out decent and stable software. Also the 4.1 has little or no software additions from Sony with the exception of the new launcher which I think is a bit ridiculous without an overview mode and the stamina mode and new camera app. Everything still looks the same from the gingerbread days.

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app
29th March 2013, 12:27 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Too many new phones will simply mean delayed updates.

The r&d team remains the same.

Sent from my C6602 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Aman27deep For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Aman27deep Ad-Free
29th March 2013, 06:35 PM |#10  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 170

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiac100

Considering how lean and feature poor the Sony software is, it's really shockingly poor that it takes them so long to a) release stable builds and b) roll out updates.
Samsung's touchwiz is packed to the hilt with loads of software additions but yet, Samsung get it out quicker, up to date, and more stable than Sony can dream of right now.
For me, this is where Sony falls down really badly. They really need to bring in some excellent developers to turn things around.
Having a so called flagship waiting almost a year for a software update is just pathetic.

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app

I agree with your software complaint. The fact the camera takes 3 seconds to open is completely unacceptable, especially considering the Xperia S was so fast at booting up the camera. That said, I don't have too many problems with the software on the Z.

This is my first Sony smartphone, but I've noticed Sony almost always releases phones with outdated software AND dated computing hardware. The Xperia S was the first dual core Sony smartphone (I think) and it was months behind the Sensation, North American S2,and many others, all while having the same processor. Same goes for the Xperia T.

The fact that Sony intends to release so many phones this year probably has something to do with getting their high end devices to as many carriers/countries as possible. For instance, the Xperia Z isn't available in Canada. We're getting the ZL. In any event, coupling Sony's reputation for not releasing timely updates and the fact they're going to allegedly have 4-5 flagship devices this year, I'm not confident we're going to see many significant updates. Hopefully CM is able to keep us up to date!

Sent from my C6603 using xda premium
29th March 2013, 06:42 PM |#11  
Flag Edmonton AB
Thanks Meter: 7

More
It isn't a new thing from Sony anyway... I have never use smartphone other than Sony 's for my entire life and it was since somewhere around x10 to x arc period they started to release phones to different target user like flagship, middle range and budget phones In each year.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z using xda premium
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)