FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

The T-Mobile USA Xperia Z C6606 Bootloader is locked

214 posts
Thanks Meter: 29

Post Reply Email Thread
Well, I went to check out the T-Mobile branded Xperia Z C6606 at the Sony Style store and was disappointed to see that the bootloader is locked.

I was trying to get information online if it was locked or not but couldn'tget any confirmation. I know that it'sprobably locked by T-mobile, but I was hoping.

Sent from my C6602 using xda premium
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1373566753728.jpg
Views:	3410
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	2109199   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1373566772267.jpg
Views:	3299
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	2109200  
The Following User Says Thank You to HoOnZ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift HoOnZ Ad-Free

11th July 2013, 07:24 PM |#2  
Forum Moderator
Flag Midlands, UK
Thanks Meter: 4,757

More
All branded/carrier phones are. Tell us something new...
11th July 2013, 07:53 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Somerset
Thanks Meter: 29

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenAsh

I've seen some phones in the past that were sold by T-Mobile or other carriers but were not bootloader locked. With T-Mobile's new business model and the fact that Sony was selling it outright at their stores, you would think that it should be unlocked.
11th July 2013, 08:49 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2,084

More
All phones have locked bootloaders when they come from the store. 'Bootloader unlock allowed' means if it is allowed to unlock it yourself or not, but doing so will void your warranty and wipe your DRM keys (which are needed for Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2, MusicID/Gracenote, etc.).

Sent from my Xperia Z using Tapatalk
11th July 2013, 11:23 PM |#5  
Flag Madrid
Thanks Meter: 183

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenAsh

There is a carrier here in Spain that sells unlockable Xperias. It's the fourth mayor carrier so is not a shady one.
11th July 2013, 11:37 PM |#6  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 811

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKrFfXx

There is a carrier here in Spain that sells unlockable Xperias. It's the fourth mayor carrier so is not a shady one.

sim locked and locked bootloader are two separate things. >.>

usually when some stores states "selling unlocked xperia/galaxy/iphone/ etc.." it means the phone is unlocked and it can be used anywhere else. When you purchase a phone from a store (Sony store) or carrier (At&T) it is locked to them. In other words, the phone cannot be used with another sim card like T-Mobile, since the phone is locked to At&t.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LitoNi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift LitoNi Ad-Free
11th July 2013, 11:45 PM |#7  
Flag Madrid
Thanks Meter: 183

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by LitoNi

sim locked and locked bootloader are two separate things. >.>

usually when some stores states "selling unlocked xperia/galaxy/iphone/ etc.." it means the phone is unlocked and it can be used anywhere else. When you purchase a phone from a store (Sony store) or carrier (At&T) it is locked to them. In other words, the phone cannot be used with another sim card like T-Mobile, since the phone is locked to At&t.

I totally understand what is sim and boot lock.

I've had in my hands a couple of Xperia devices from that company (Yoigo), one Xperia Mini Pro I think, and the other one a Xperia Z, and both had "Bootloader Unlockable: Yes" on the service menu.
12th July 2013, 02:40 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 689

More
I've read that some custom ROMs can still be flashed on this phone without unlocking the bootloader. Is this true?
12th July 2013, 02:42 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 2,084

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by skynet11

I've read that some custom ROMs can still be flashed on this phone without unlocking the bootloader. Is this true?

Yes, if they are based on the stock kernel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Apollo89 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Apollo89 Ad-Free
15th July 2013, 08:23 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo89

Yes, if they are based on the stock kernel.

anyone have the basebands ftf for this model yet?
15th July 2013, 11:29 PM |#11  
Flag Colorado Springs
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Prompt
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoOnZ

I've seen some phones in the past that were sold by T-Mobile or other carriers but were not bootloader locked. With T-Mobile's new business model and the fact that Sony was selling it outright at their stores, you would think that it should be unlocked.

T-Mobile isn't really known for locking bootloaders. Verizon on the other hand... When it comes to locked boot loaders it seems to be like this.

Locked carriers:
Verizon
at&t

Mostly unlocked carriers:
Sprint
T-Mobile

Phone brands locked:
HTC
Sony Xperia
sometimes LG

Phone brands not locked
Huawei