[Q] Sony Xperia Z Patching Problems

Search This thread

backpackerd00d

Jun 2, 2014
Morning all,

First time poster here, I'll try to make this as concise as possible.

Short / TLDR Question: My Sony Xperia Z handset isn't able to install the 10.31.a.2.67 patch either via WiFi or the Sony Companion. Any ideas appreciated.

Longer Version I've recently picked up Sony Xperia Z to replace an older one that I'd damaged in stag do celebrations. Research indicated it would be cheaper to get a new one rather than spring for repairs. The OS version on the replacement is 4.1.2 with build number 10.1.a.1.350. It's a pre-owned one and looks like it's had a soft reset from the settings menu. I've run through and installed the stuff I need, configured it preferred but the last thing I can't do is to install the patch. I'm led to believe that the phone has been developed against as

1 - Plugging it into a desktop via the USB led it to enter debugging mode
2 - There is a root viewer application on the handset
3 - Developer options were turned on

I've tried to get the patch installed a number of times but to no avail. It'll download something (as shown via the GUI) but upon restart all I see is the Xperia logo, a successful boot and then the error message to state it won't install. I don't have access to any log files or error messages to let me take this further.

Because of the above, I'm thinking that a previous developer has possibly something to stop any further patches installing? The fixes I've tried this far: -

1 - Updating the patch from cable doesn't work. The Sony Companion can't detect the phone when connected via the USB
2 - Checking that the default applications are installed.

As such, I'm not sure where to turn next. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Update: I work as an IT professional and as such I'm comfortable with devices and operating systems. I'm not used to development or the sort of development that's involved with android devices.

Last edited:

androidtweaker1

May 15, 2014
Morning all,

Short / TLDR Question: My Sony Xperia Z handset isn't able to install the 10.31.a.2.67 patch either via WiFi or the Sony Companion. Any ideas appreciated.

Longer Version I've recently picked up Sony Xperia Z to replace an older one that I'd damaged in stag do celebrations. Research indicated it would be cheaper to get a new one rather than spring for repairs. The OS version on the replacement is 4.1.2 with build number 10.1.a.1.350. It's a pre-owned one and looks like it's had a soft reset from the settings menu. I've run through and installed the stuff I need, configured it preferred but the last thing I can't do is to install the patch. I'm led to believe that the phone has been developed against as

I've tried to get the patch installed a number of times but to no avail. It'll download something (as shown via the GUI) but upon restart all I see is the Xperia logo, a successful boot and then the error message to state it won't install. I don't have access to any log files or error messages to let me take this further.

Because of the above, I'm thinking that a previous developer has possibly something to stop any further patches installing? The fixes I've tried this far: -

1 - Updating the patch from cable doesn't work. The Sony Companion can't detect the phone when connected via the USB

Update: I work as an IT professional and as such I'm comfortable with devices and operating systems. I'm not used to development or the sort of development that's involved with android devices.

By "patch" are you referring to firmware update?

androidtweaker1

May 15, 2014
Morning all,

whats your phone model number?

backpackerd00d

Jun 2, 2014
Hi all,

Thanks for looking at this thread.

To answer the questions

1 - yes, I mean the Sony pushed firmware updates
2 - Model number is C6603

Cheers

Top Liked Posts