FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Xperia Z, ZR, V, UL and Z Ultra Display Issue (1)

40 posts
Thanks Meter: 228

By droid102, Member on 6th November 2013, 07:50 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Applicable for:
Xperia Z (C66xx/L36h/SO-02E),
Xperia ZR (C55xx/M36h/SO-04E),
Xperia V (LT25x, SO-01E, SOL21),
Xperia UL (SOL 22)
Xperia Z Ultra (C68xx, XL39h).

Background:
A few units of the affected products have been returned with a specific type of crack in the display and where the consumer claims that it’s not because of abuse.

Description:
This specific crack issue is distinguished by an absence of (abuse) marks on the display or phone.

Typical examples of this specific display issue:
(A single line of crack without any other abuse marks on the phone)

Typical examples of Out of Warranty abuse damage:

Solution:
Xperia Z, Xperia ZR, Xperia V, Xperia UL and Xperia Z Ultra with a single crack in the display, can as an exception, if there is no evidence of abuse, be treated as in warranty.

2013-10-28
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to droid102 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift droid102 Ad-Free
8th November 2013, 11:44 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 62

More
I wouldn't bother sony with that mate as they'll just class it as physical damage which isn't covered under the warranty trust me I know from personal experience.

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app
8th November 2013, 01:01 PM |#3  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,754

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futura2000

I wouldn't bother sony with that mate as they'll just class it as physical damage which isn't covered under the warranty trust me I know from personal experience.

Sent from my C6603 using xda app-developers app

This looks like it's from a Sony service manual. I wouldn't write off what the OP said that quickly.
8th November 2013, 02:01 PM |#4  
Flag Tilburg
Thanks Meter: 49

More
AFAIK Sony Netherlands did handle this issue when it first arrived at the original Z. The repairs took quite long though (4 - 8 weeks) but almost all phones with a single crack were fixed under warranty.
9th November 2013, 12:18 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
same things on the SP what can I do ?
10th November 2013, 09:47 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 752

More
Hm, I have such crack, but on the back glass. I already see myself arguing with the repairman, lol.

Sent from my Xperia Z
11th November 2013, 02:48 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
I got the same issue and Sony fixed it free for me (warranty).
12th November 2013, 02:15 PM |#8  

More
Unhappy help, i'm stuck with this
I got an Xperia Z Ultra, it's screen cracked suddenly and I don't know why, I search online around and found this thread.
Can anyone help me how to obtain warranty when i live in vietnam, i buy this in hongkong.
12th November 2013, 03:55 PM |#9  

More
Is there a protocol to follow to get phones reassessed. Mine developed a single crack in July but at the time Sony refused to fix it.

I spoke to live chat today, very non-committal about it.

I'm feeling reluctant to send it off again in case it's not fixed and I've got to pay another £14.40 to have my own phone returned

Quote:

Si: I had an issue back in July with the screen on my Xperia Z. A single crack appeared through no misuse but I was told that it wouldn't be repaired as it wasn't covered under warranty. I've since read some information that would indicate Sony Mobile have accepted that there is a "Display Issue" with the Xperia Z (as well as ZR, V, UL and Z Ultra) and are willing to repair or replace the phone under warranty. Could you confirm this? Obviously I'm eager to still use the phone but quite unwilling to pay for it to be re-assessed again having already done that once.
Hayley: This isn't something which has been raised as a common issue with the handset Simon, but we would always need to examine a handset before being able to advise if it can be repaired under warranty or not.
Si: So you have no information to suggest that an Xperia Z with a single crack across the screen would be treated any differently now, than say, 3 or 4 months ago?
Hayley: All handsets are examined individually so they would all be looked at when received with our repair centre as normal.
Si: I understand it would need to be examined again, that's absolutely fine. My question is, before doing that again (at my own cost, again), I'm just wondering whether the same issue would be treated or assessed any differently?
Hayley: The phone would be examined as standard with repairs once they are received, this procedure is the same for all handsets.

24th November 2013, 05:00 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Xperia Z woes
I just came across this blog today. This happened to my Xperia Z too - found a long crack in the LCD one day when i took it out of my pocket! I called Sony Xperia Care and they pointed me to their local authorised repairer for replacing the screen. When I called the repairer, they said that they will need to send my phone interstate for repairs and it would cost be $450!! I can buy a new Xperia Z for $530!! I am about to resort to getting it done from a local mobile phone repairer for $250 who cannot guarantee that it will remain water resistant. How do I convince Sony that my phone qualifies for the In-Warranty repair?
10th December 2013, 02:16 PM |#11  

More
Xperia Z Cracked Screen
Sent mine back to their UK repairer SBE last week after suffering the same problem, two hairline cracks across the screen. Only pulled the phone out of my pocket, just spoken to them and they said it is not covered as I damaged the phone and will need to pay £200+ to get it repaired. Stated that I had just pulled it out of my pocket and there is no physical damage to the casing.

They are going to speak to the engineer again, but I don't hold out much hope.

Also spoke to Sony and they have no raised the issue with their 'Escalations Team', will again see what they say, but I think this is going to be a long drawn out battle.

Has anyone get any help or tips for trying to get this resolved?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)