FORUMS

need replacement battery

34 posts
Thanks Meter: 7

By weilt, Member on 18th June 2018, 03:56 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
does anyone have any source for a replacement battery for the Z2 tablet? I still love it but my battery has started "swelling" (there is a noticeable bulge on the back of the case, though the screen seems unaffected; I guess the glass up front is stiffer than the plastic on back), which as I understand it could be a safety issue. I've contacted Sony but they are no help ("no longer supported"). Google results inconclusive/not definitive.

I can't be the only one needing this (and ... battery replacement is something that'll be of interest to eventually happen to all of you?) Anybody? It shouldn't be too hard to DIY the actual replacement (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzoHUlxLNBU for example), the problem is just getting the replacement part.
23rd June 2018, 02:24 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
why not ebay? this looks to be the right one...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batterie-60...cAAOSw7m9bGLh8
The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty_Gunn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Rusty_Gunn Ad-Free
27th June 2018, 03:21 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
placing an order...
... fingers crossed!

EDIT: actually wait, they're from a company that's actually in Hong Kong, which is closer to me. I'll call them up during working hours and see if I can get from them direct...
18th July 2018, 12:14 PM |#4  
OP Member

More
OK an update just in case this is useful to anyone:

I was in Hong Kong and based on recommendations (+ a warning to be careful for "untrustworthy" shops etc.), I went to Sin Tat Plaza (very close to the Mongkok MTR station, which was how I got there). I did not do an exhaustive search, but I eventually had my battery swapped (required a 1 week wait time + a 100HKD deposit which was counted into the final cost) by the shop at the 3rd floor immediately in front of you when you get off the escalator (marked "S52") .

I don't think they were the cheapest (HKD450 total) but they weren't the most expensive quote I got (ground floor shops quoted me something like HD550), and many other shops told me they couldn't do it. I was fairly concerned overall since there are stories of people who've e.g. left their laptops with various shops and then found that parts had been swapped out without telling them etc. In my case, the battery swap was done in front of me ("while you wait"; took maybe 15 minutes to half an hour).

These guys managed to source for me what looks to be an original Sony battery (when mine was removed, it was basically identical, with identical "Sony" labelling, though theirs had additional printing on it of some sort of tracking number?).

I can't say I can really vouch for them although I felt safe enough to commit to having them source and replace the battery in that he outright told me what he could/could not do (well, the guy who sits on the left (when you come off the escalator), the guy on the right seems more of a "salesman" who'll promise everything), which unfortunately includes getting another battery - he said it was hard to find and would not commit to being able to find another. He also scrunched his face up about finding a new screen for it, when I asked on behalf of a friend who broke his Z2 tablet screen when he took it rollerskating (yes, no kidding, rollerskating with a Z2 tablet on him).

There were initially difficulties charging the tablet with the new battery (perhaps because it was sitting around for so many years?), of the sort where it would go from 100% down to e.g. 70% fairly suddenly/quickly, but after I just left it plugged in overnight even though it said it was already at 100%, things seem to be working fine now (am getting basically the kind of battery life I had, from past experience). Will update further if any new issues crop up, but as of now I am counting this as a "problem solved".

UPDATE: sigh, battery doesn't work right after just a few weeks. random shutdowns at random %-age levels (run out of power at 70% battery, for example). Anyways I'm gonna give that eBay link a try, *fingers crossed*.
The Following User Says Thank You to weilt For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift weilt Ad-Free
27th September 2018, 03:25 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 193

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by weilt

OK an update just in case this is useful to anyone:

I was in Hong Kong and based on recommendations (+ a warning to be careful for "untrustworthy" shops etc.), I went to Sin Tat Plaza (very close to the Mongkok MTR station, which was how I got there). I did not do an exhaustive search, but I eventually had my battery swapped (required a 1 week wait time + a 100HKD deposit which was counted into the final cost) by the shop at the 3rd floor immediately in front of you when you get off the escalator (marked "S52") .

I don't think they were the cheapest (HKD450 total) but they weren't the most expensive quote I got (ground floor shops quoted me something like HD550), and many other shops told me they couldn't do it. I was fairly concerned overall since there are stories of people who've e.g. left their laptops with various shops and then found that parts had been swapped out without telling them etc. In my case, the battery swap was done in front of me ("while you wait"; took maybe 15 minutes to half an hour).

These guys managed to source for me what looks to be an original Sony battery (when mine was removed, it was basically identical, with identical "Sony" labelling, though theirs had additional printing on it of some sort of tracking number?).

I can't say I can really vouch for them although I felt safe enough to commit to having them source and replace the battery in that he outright told me what he could/could not do (well, the guy who sits on the left (when you come off the escalator), the guy on the right seems more of a "salesman" who'll promise everything), which unfortunately includes getting another battery - he said it was hard to find and would not commit to being able to find another. He also scrunched his face up about finding a new screen for it, when I asked on behalf of a friend who broke his Z2 tablet screen when he took it rollerskating (yes, no kidding, rollerskating with a Z2 tablet on him).

There were initially difficulties charging the tablet with the new battery (perhaps because it was sitting around for so many years?), of the sort where it would go from 100% down to e.g. 70% fairly suddenly/quickly, but after I just left it plugged in overnight even though it said it was already at 100%, things seem to be working fine now (am getting basically the kind of battery life I had, from past experience). Will update further if any new issues crop up, but as of now I am counting this as a "problem solved".

UPDATE: sigh, battery doesn't work right after just a few weeks. random shutdowns at random %-age levels (run out of power at 70% battery, for example). Anyways I'm gonna give that eBay link a try, *fingers crossed*.

Any luck with eBay? They do not seem to be genuine there either.
26th October 2018, 06:39 AM |#6  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty_Gunn

why not ebay? this looks to be the right one...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batterie-60...cAAOSw7m9bGLh8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean09

Any luck with eBay? They do not seem to be genuine there either.

OK an update - I went and got a unit from that ebay seller in France about a week ago. Got what I ordered as requested and packaging is fine so I would rate the seller as dependable.

Product is not "Genuine" in the sense that it did not come from Sony, but from the picture it's a third party manufacturer ("Cameron Sino") and what I got is exactly that, so it's a "Genuine 3rd party".

All I can say is... it works so far.

I haven't had it long enough for a longevity report but so far I'll rate it as "it works", and I'm glad to have my Z2 tablet back (I actually like it better than the Z4 tablet because although the Snapdragon 810 is technically "faster", it runs into thermal throttling issues a lot and so it goes from "snappy" to "stuttering" in a really irritating way that does not affect the Z2, which may be slightly slower but feels consistently "smoother").

The battery when first powered up was at 67% charge level - I don't know how undervoltage protection would work so I didn't try to drain it before I recharged, I just immediately plunked the tablet in my charger to get it to 100% and it's worked fine so far (lowest I've taken it to was 8% after about 2 days of use, before I put it back into the charger).

Also, I found this useful even though it doesn't show removing the screen, which is the trickiest part:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzoHUlxLNBU

All the flex cables are connected via ZIF sockets (the lock/unlock gate might not be obvious but it's there). For the battery leads/contacts, you need to use some force when pushing it into the socket, it can "look" inserted, but not all of the cells of the battery will be hooked up.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)