[Q] Sleep of death (won't turn on)?

Search This thread

Sacktreter

Aug 24, 2015
SOD to me again, best results you get when battery is between 1 - 10% power
Thats the way i get it back:
Rubberband and a match to press both buttons continously down (+Vol and Power)
Start Flashtool and plug USB to PC, put PC-speaker loud and wait for hours
In the log you see every move of tablet, with speaker of PC you hear when tablet comes back
after hours more often tablet comes back, but because +Vol and Power it's killed very quick to restart again
wait till it was killed and blue led ist lightening, then put the match quickly away and you are in fastboot mode
2 Ways are given with FlashTool in Fastboot mode:

1. take the right boot.img and do a hot boot. In this case your tablet is alive but fall back to SOD when restart again
  2. take the right boot.img and flash it into tablet, restart and ok. This keep my Z2 tablet for ca. 2 days ready to boot, then the SOD comes again.
My last reboot was 6 month before but now i have to reboot again coz lagging. But i don't know any other solution to keep this issue permanently away. I hope to help some.

To build a boot.img watch this:
http://xdaforums.com/xperia-z5/development/root-automatic-repack-stock-kernel-dm-t3301605
and this:
http://xdaforums.com/xperia-z4/general/guide-safe-bootloader-unlock-restore-t3386915
(V4.51 is for Lollipop)
(V5.0 is for Marshmallow)
or look for a ready boot.img in this forum

Last edited:

steph43paris

Nov 15, 2016
Hi there,
Just to share my own experience on this crappy tablet (that by the way is wonderful when it works).
As all of you, I experimented the sleep of death, 2 weeks ago. I shutted it down before taking plane, and it never started again. Did try every solution posted here and none of them works. Today, I tried again (like almost every day) to put it in charge and guess what ? The red light appeared and stayed. I waited with hope about 2 hours, and then bang, the light changed colour, that would mean it was charged enough. I tried to push power on, it got me instantly the battery charging icon with 40%. I pressed again the power button for 2 secs, and bingo, tablet started again.
So, as someone said here somewhere, if it happens to you, be patient and let it discharge completely. Not the best solution, but at least, it is one that saves you your 450 euros (Shame on Sony that doesn't provide any solution for this !! )
Hope it will help,
Stéphane

quoc.neo

Jan 7, 2012
I had the same issue now twice and I got the tablet back to life with the following procedure:

preparation: "normal" AC charger (110V/230V -> Micro USB).

1) let the battery drain ... i sometimes waited for a few days (you should see if you waited long enough, when step 4 is showing you a red light...)
2) Turn on your PC and install flash drivers (e.g. "Flashtool" from binary: http://www.flashtool.net/index.php)
3) hold: Vol Down (Flashmode) on your tablet and connect to your pc
4) tablet should be detected with Flashmodus (red LED)
5) now quickly disconnect the tablet before the red LED turns off again and immediately connect it to your "normal" AC charger
6) the red LED should come up again (this didnt work for me without the other five steps!)
7) wait for a few more minutes (10 minutes or so) and then press "power on". It should now show you a battery getting charged and by "holding" power you should be able to turn back on the device!

I want to share my experience. I did it successfully.
a) With Sony charger. (I think any charger will be OK).
b) Discharge tablet (few days or a week) until the red LED turns on when plugging USB cable.
(However, the red LED will turn off after 1 minutes or less -> It can not be charged anymore.).
c) Do as Linkinsoldier's steps, the red LED after the 6th step will keep ON. After 5-10 minutes, my tablet can boot with "Xperia" screen.
Then it show a battery icon (1%) -> I let it continue charge and power ON.

-> It worked.

Sacktreter

Aug 24, 2015
Meanwhile I wait a more than 2 weeks. Very long deep Sleep Of Death (SOD) and no luck to get it back to live. Now it's a brick. It only was fallen in SOD when i root the tablet. With PC Companion installed stock firmware SOD is away. But now my tablet is unlocked and totally dead, not possible to to lock the bootloader. This was the last choice to bring back tablet to live again. Btw i hate to work with unrooted Android devices.

Knowledge:
The Z2 tablet is a wonderful tablet and my wife love this tablet. We only need the tablet in living room, not under the sea. So i decided to open the brick tablet because this "sleep of death" make me crazy. It's on you what you are doing.

Problem is:
normaly when device is frozen or got other issues you unplug battery, wait 20 seconds and start your phone or tablet again. How to do with tablet water proof?

Warning message:
Brutal way to get Z2 tablet to work
(Open the tablet and disconnect the power plug)
(Tablet is no longer water proof and warranty is kicked)

No warranty at my side for all these actions we do at tablet

Information:

• It is quite possible to charge the tablet with the dockingstation and the mini-USB connected at PC and the tablet is accessible.
  • you can connect tablet at PC or dockingstation with unconnectet battery. No damage at tablet. But not possible to start it.
Things we need:

• Sony docking station if possible. With USB-wire its more difficult to handle
  • Process Explorer by Sysinternal Suite. Download
  • Flashtool Download
  • Credit Card
  • Toothpick (don't use a metallic conductive object)
  • Rubberband

Preparations:

• google for: "Xperia Z2 tablet open" and open your tablet. As tool for open i used a credit card. There are different Xperia Z2 tablet models, some you have to open at the back side, others you have to open the Display. Find out at yourself what model you have.
  • I made a picture and you see where the battery plug is. Only unplug the positive connector (2 red and 1 white wire in the plug. Enlarge the photo at the end and you see)
  • It is iportant to know how to disconnect! Pull connector away from the motherboard, not down, left or right. I used a toothpick, works perfect and you distroy nothing. Be careful with this small connector. Never use force to connect it.

Start the tablet with battery minimum 5%:
Instructions:
  1. Battery should be charged minimum 5%
  2. unplug the positive connector with toothpicker and pull it away from motherboard. Now tablet is complete disconnected from all power
  3. press the power button permanent with rubberband or by finger
  4. wait more than 10 seconds
  5. press the positive battery connector back in slot at mainboard
  6. when tablet starts, remove the rubberband or your finger
  7. Put tablet in dockingstation or connect with mini USB to charge battery
  8. If no start happens, do 1-5 again and wait a longer time at part 4

Charge battery:
Get battery charged in a SOD tablet:

Preparations:

• dockingstation is connected with power supply
  • at tablet positive connector is unpluged (with toothpicker pull it away from motherboard)
  • tablet is complete disconnected from all power
  • Display is connected with tablet because you have to see whats shown in display (perhaps fix it with a cup of coffee in front of it)

1. tablet is placed in the dockingstation but not connected at magnet charger (place it 1 cm left or right before connected with magnet charger)
  2. battery connector is pulled off from motherboard at tablet (with toothpicker pull it away from motherboard)
  3. press down "Vol -" (Flashmode) with rubberband (thanks to Linkinsoldier for this tip)
  4. try to do at the same time: (for this you need more tests than one)
    - slide tablet in dockingstation to connect with power and
    - press the positive battery connector back in slot at mainboard
  5. Watch at display, it should start after 2 seconds the charging display and red LED should lightening.
    If not repeat step 1-5. Wait before start next try minimum 30 seconds powerless and "Vol -" is pressed down
  6. When charging mode is reached remove the rubberband at "Vol -"
  7. Wait a minute and test the charging mode: Short press down the power button.
    Display should show the charging status
  8. Connect Mini USB at tablet and PC and let it be connected during charging process
  9. In Windows watch at device manager. You should see following devices:
    - "Portable Devices" has a new letter for a harddrive (in my case "F:")
    - "harddrive" got a new device called "SONY Mass Storage USB Device"
    - "USB-Controller" got a new "USB-Mass storage device" (USB\VID_0FCE&PID_E1B1)
    now you are able to access the phone SD-Cards
  10. Wait 10 minutes. Short press down the power button to control the charging process.
    - When still at the same level before charging do following:
    - be sure tablet is connectet with PC
    - pull off the USB-Connector at power supply half a second and put it in again
    - red LED should lightening, if not start at step 1 again.
    - Now wait 10 minutes and control charging process again. When no success repeat step 1.
  11. Wait till battery has minimum 10% charged
  12. Now press power button till tablet starts
If tablet dont start go to chapter "Start tablet"

Flashmode:
Get flashmode in a SOD tablet:

Preparations:

• battery of tablet has minimum 20% (coz no charging at flashing process)
  • dockingstation is not connected with power supply
  • at tablet positive connector is unpluged (with toothpicker pull it away from motherboard)
    tablet is complete disconnected from all power
  • tablet is placed in the dockingstation for better handling (and unpluged charger)
  • display is connected with tablet (perhaps fix it with a cup of coffee)
  • Mini-USB is connected with tablet
  • other end of USB-wire is not in PC
Instructions:

1. start FlashTool
    - click flash symbol
    - choose option "flashmode" and "OK"
    - select your FTF-File you wanna flash
    - select what you wanna wipe and flash
    - press the button "flash"
    now flashtool is waiting for tablet to connect in flashmode (green LED indicator)
  2. at Process Explorer look for Flashtool(64).exe and put priority to realtime.
    (rightclick to flashtool(64).exe - set Priority - Realtime)
    otherwise you wait endless until the flashmode is detected.
    to be save and sure: every time when flashtool was in background, priority is set to background automically.
  3. now put flashtool window in the foreground (highlight it and realtime mode is given)
  4. press down "Vol -" (Flashmode) with rubberband
  5. try to do at the same time: (for this you need more tests than one)
    - Put USB-Connector in PC
  6. following things can happen now:
    Case 1
    - tablet red LED is lightning ca. 5 sec
    - then red LED off
    - lightning again for half a second red and then short time green
    Case 2
    - tablet LED is lightning ca. half a second red and then short time green

in both cases do:
    - watch at PC if flashtool is starting the flashing process
    - when flashing starts remove the rubberband at "Vol -" and wait till flashing finished

in all other cases:
    - unplug USB-wire at PC and remove battery connector in tablet
    - repeat step 4-6
    - keep always in mind how much your battery is charged till empty
    - maybe check with Process Explorer Realtime mode is still given
  7. - When flash is done disconnect USB at PC and press power button to start tablet

Fastboot mode:
Get fastboot mode in a SOD tablet:

Preparations:

• battery of tablet has minimum 10%
  • dockingstation is not connected with power supply
    tablet is complete disconnected from all power
  • tablet is placed in the dockingstation for better handling (and unpluged charger)
  • display is connected with tablet (perhaps fix it with a cup of coffee)
  • Mini-USB is connected with tablet
  • other end of USB-wire is not in PC
Instructions:

1. start FlashTool
    - click flash symbol
    - choose option "Fastboot mode" and "OK"
    - select what you want - flash kernel or hotboot kernel
    (in my case hotboot kernel is senseless coz tablet don't reboot)
    now flashtool is waiting for tablet to connect in fastboot mode (blue LED indicator)
  2. at Process Explorer look for Flashtool(64).exe and put priority to realtime.
    (rightclick to flashtool(64).exe - set Priority - Realtime)
    otherwise you wait endless until the flashmode is detected.
    to be save and sure: every time when flashtool was in background, priority is set to background automically.
  3. now put flashtool window in the foreground (highlight it and realtime mode is given)
  4. press down "Vol +" (Fastboot mode) with rubberband
  5. try to do at the same time: (for this you need more tests than one)
    - Put USB-Connector in PC
  6. red LED is lightning very short, after that blue LED is lightening
    - watch at PC if flashtool opens a window to choose the file to flash
    - when success remove the rubberband at "Vol +" and flash your file
    - if no blue LED is lightening
    - unplug USB-wire at PC and remove battery connector in tablet
    - repeat step 4-6
    - keep always in mind how much your battery is charged till empty
  7. - When flash is done disconnect USB at PC and press power button to start tablet

Non recoverable issue - till now:
My tablet doesn't start when i press power button and battery is pluged in. When i do a restart all the time tablet falls in SOD. So every restart i have to do i follow step 1-5 in chapter "Start the tablet". I don't know why. And to work with unrooted tablet is not acceptable. Anway:

After tablet startet successful take both sided tape and reclose your tablet. Keep always in your mind you have to open tablet more times in the future and its no longer water proof.

This was the only way to get my Sony Z2 tablet back to work.

Attachments

• Z2-Tablet.jpg
    Z2-Tablet.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:

yeobj00

Dec 11, 2016
Try put an ice bag on the tablet battery position when charging your tablet. Or try to make your tablet as cool as possible during charging.

Wilthril

Jan 15, 2011
OnePlus 5
This tablet is driving me nuts. I can't get it to boot or recognized by the PC.
All I get is a steady red LED for a few minutes when charging with a power adapter. Nothing happens when I try to power it on when charging.

I'd prefer to keep the waterproof feature since that's why I bought this tablet [emoji19]

The ice trick may be my last chance... Any ideas?

R1zzle

Aug 5, 2010
I turned my tablet off before charging, since then I can't turn it on anymore. The best I can get is a few minutes steady red light depending on which charger I use but a after a few minutes the red light turns off again and nothing happens after that. The tablet is not rooted and also no better result when using it with my computer.

Wilthril

Jan 15, 2011
OnePlus 5
At last I found a way to get my tablet back: if I charge it with enough power (I tried multiple wall chargers with differents câbles, and only my Anker Power bank with portapow cable works), I have a steady red light. After a few minutes a battery icon appears on the screen, and when the red light turned to green I could turn it on.

Good thing I didn't have to flash it again...

kn2020

Sep 6, 2016
It's been a week now... no change...
I hook it up every day for a second to see if it is going to start charging and all I get is a red light for a second...

should I sent it for a repiar in this moment or wait some more?

EDIT: I tried to fix it with PC Companion...when it tells me to connect the Z2 i see the red light fot couple of seconds but then it also goes away and the PC Companion does not go to the next step...
i had the same problem, try with a lower amps output charger, it should charge just fine.

shiruba

May 13, 2011
Interestingly enough, I had the same issue. I was in a hurry, and I needed the SIM card in it, so I popped that out without turning the tablet off first (The screen was off, so I thought it was off). After that, it wouldn't wake up, or turn on, or reboot, or even charge. That struck me as odd. In my experience, even if the device was pretty well fried, normally it would at least charge.

So I consigned it to the life of a paperweight, and put it on the shelf for about a year. Recently I applied power to the magnetic charging port, and the charge light glowed. I let it charge for a few hours, and then pressed the power button. It powered right up, and is still working. My guess is something gets messed up with the power controller, and the battery has to be drained 100% to fix it - but that takes a long time if it won't be powered up.

kn2020

Sep 6, 2016
Have same issue and yesterday it died again! After I tried to update it to 200 from pcc, every thing was okay until pcc turned it off and now it's dead
So I'm waiting now until the battery is discharged, probably to weeks like last time

By the way, last time it died when I tried to make a reboot, simply didn't start again

SGP 521 I'd a damn nice device, if I don't reboot or update :D:eek:

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app

u have to unplug battery connector, it will come back to life instantly, that way u dont have to wait days for the battery to discharged.
i hope it helps.

Mtb01

Jul 14, 2017
MY z2 tablet seems to have died I've hardly used it since new, led comes on when charging as soon press power up led turns off no power to tablet dead 💀 then when trying charge nothing no led light, no vibration pressing on plus vol button... help

n3087

Nov 3, 2008
MY z2 tablet seems to have died I've hardly used it since new, led comes on when charging as soon press power up led turns off no power to tablet dead then when trying charge nothing no led light, no vibration pressing on plus vol button... help

Hello,
I've recently had same issue. My red led just flashed for about one or two seconds then nothing happend. I tried to charge it over 2 Days with original cable and charger with no success. Tablet went dead while I was on vacation.
When not connecting it to any Charger for about 5 to 10 minutes it would flash red again if you reconnect it after that. So I tried different chargers.
At last I was successfull with my Dell Latitude D600 Laptop (bought 2004). It used to have a very bad power supply on USB-Ports. You always had to connect a second cable, when you wanted to use an external 2,5" HDD. With the cable connected to the Dell Laptop red led stays on. Sometimes it went out, then I disconnected it for about 10 minutes and reconnected it again. Overall it took me about a Day for getting back the charging screen on my tablet. right now it is charged to 100% and is starting again without any problems. I read very much about some other people which sent it in to sony for repair while having this issues.
I hope this will help you getting it back alive.
Greetings,
n3087

m_ramone_m

Jul 17, 2017
is there a permanent fix ?

...same probleme here. Removing the battery connector or waiting for 2 weeks works of course.
But is there any permanent fix like a custom rom/kernel or anything ?

Last edited:

JimUSA01

May 2, 2017
I have the same problem. Is it possible to upload root and system on my tablet? Sometimes it starts up and loads as I wait for some time, but it never starts up after reset

emperial67

Nov 5, 2017
A panacea for your device.

For those coming to this post in search of an answer to their seemingly dead device.

After looking at Sony's support website, the answer I found was to hold the OFF button inside of the Micro-SD/SIM cover for a total of 2 minutes (120 seconds).
This is tricky for some users, due to the length of time involved.
It is important that the OFF button remain held for the full duration of time.

After this, your device 'should' power on normally by holding the power button.

This worked for me, and I hope it will work for you!
Thumbs up and stuff if this helps~!

Willem1981

Oct 11, 2007
I also had this problem.
Inserting the power cable resulted in a quick second red flash of the led.

I now have reflowed the power/charging ic.
It is under the heatshield behind the micro USB port. (I will place a picture of it later).

I hope this can help somebody.

Reactions: oversun

Willem1981

Oct 11, 2007
After a few charging cycles it fails again. Reheating it makes it come to life once. I have orderd a new chip, when i have it i will try to replace the current one. I will update the post and also take pictures of the process.

Gnyff

Sep 4, 2019
Thanks "BladeRunner"!
The 120s hold of the reset switch near the µSD-card worked here! :D
Had tried the button - but definitely NOT for THAT long.... ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    yesterday after installing some xposed modules, I rebooted and after that the Tablet didn't want to power on anymore.

no response from the power button, volume up + power button, both volume buttons and the power button.
    tried holding the red button by the SD card for 120 seconds with no help.
    tried an overnight (12hours) charging with the QC 2.0 wall charger with no help.
    although, it was not a Sony charger but a third-party one so I don't know if that matters?

Is there anything else I can do before I send it for repair?
    My guarantee expired like a month ago and I'm afraid to ask as to how much is the repair going to be :rolleyes:

Another option is to let it set for a few days to a couple of weeks to let the battery drain all the way down then try to charge it.
    I had the same issue now twice and I got the tablet back to life with the following procedure:

preparation: "normal" AC charger (110V/230V -> Micro USB).

1) let the battery drain ... i sometimes waited for a few days (you should see if you waited long enough, when step 4 is showing you a red light...)
    2) Turn on your PC and install flash drivers (e.g. "Flashtool" from binary: http://www.flashtool.net/index.php)
    3) hold: Vol Down (Flashmode) on your tablet and connect to your pc
    4) tablet should be detected with Flashmodus (red LED)
    5) now quickly disconnect the tablet before the red LED turns off again and immediately connect it to your "normal" AC charger
    6) the red LED should come up again (this didnt work for me without the other five steps!)
    7) wait for a few more minutes (10 minutes or so) and then press "power on". It should now show you a battery getting charged and by "holding" power you should be able to turn back on the device!

Hope this helps!

Now the real question: how to fix this? It doesnt look like this is an issue caused by any recovery, because many other people with original software have this, right?
    After a few charging cycles it fails again. Reheating it makes it come to life once. I have orderd a new chip, when i have it i will try to replace the current one. I will update the post and also take pictures of the process.
    fwiw My Z2 tablet went dead after I tried flashing a prerooted zip. NO response to any key combinations, no lights, no vibrations and computer wouldn't recognize it at all. Tried charging over night, nadda. Did a chat with Sony support and was told to hold the on/off/reset switch by the sd/sim card for 120 seconds. I did that and when I plugged it back on the the charger my tablet was back. I was able to boot into recovery, flash a known good zip and I'm back up and running.
    Yes i have done all the possible combination
    vol- and power
    vol + and power
    Pressing the small red button for 120sec
    vol+ and vol- and power

Now i have let it dry again the battery and this morning i have got again the red led using vol- and usb cable and quickly plugged the charger with the magneto cable and the red led is still on. Now i wait some hours and see if it will wake up again like the other time.

Anyway the problem is even if it will boot up if i want to reflash it using PC companion repair tool or using Flashtool program i need to shut down it and press vol- and plug again usb and i'm afraid that it will not work again. Is a there a method to flash it with starting from a working ON status?

OK thats Bad is your device rooted ? If yes we have a chances to flash an ftf via recovery without shuting down but your bootloader must be unlocked too. But this is the smallest Problem we can Boot into fastboot via ADB and unlock bootloader. If you need more help to do this things write me