[ROM][official] AICP 14.0 - p9.0 - castor/_windy (Sony Z2 Tablet)

Search This thread

Ryū Kenden

Mar 9, 2019
POCO M3
I don't think there are significant performance changes. However, there were some (small) bugs introduced, you can check the known issues in the respective thread to evaluate.

Would I advice to upgrade? Depends on what you want. If you have a working setup that you're happy with and don't want to re-setup, feel free to stay with the old version. If you want the latest Android/AICP features and some more active development for the ROM, you can upgrade.
You can also do a backup and try out if you like it before deciding on what to do. Due to some (TWRP?) bug, you might need to re-flash the ROM after restoring the backup, however, so make sure that you have your previous AICP 14.0 zip handy when taking that approach.

Since I haven't tried the new TWRP on Android 9, it is probably the safer approach to upgrade TWRP after upgrading the ROM, but it would be interesting to hear if it works the other way round as well.

I see, thank you! I'm very happy with the 14 to be honest, I think I'll stick with it for a little while.
Have a nice day!

Link to download the last AICP 14.0 ROM zip, the last one i downloaded anyway. The ROM download in the below link is for a CASTOR_WINDY (WiFi Model).

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BwBZlgiV0lNiV2x5SFYwMGlmNUU?usp=sharing

If you need a CASTOR Download, specify in your post and a CASTOR user may be able to assist :fingers-crossed:

I have the two last ROM for Castor, if anyone is interested, just contact me.

Last edited:

DoubleByrd

Nov 23, 2020
Recovery Mode

Hey SpiritCroc and others,

I've been trying to install AICP 14.0 for a while now, but without success. I have an SGP512 that is on stock firmware. It is really starting to slow down and show it's age, so I thought trying a custom ROM would help. I have flashed custom ROMs on phones before, but this is my first run at this tablet. I have been following the instructions in the OP. I have unlocked the bootloader successfully - but not rooted.

1. Download the ROM and GApps and transfer them to your device. - Done

2. Boot to recovery (latest TWRP from the CarbonROM thread recommended when coming from Android < 10, on Android 10 TWRP >= 3.3.1 recommended). - This is where I'm stuck. I have flashed TWRP from the CarbonROM thread as recommended, but no matter what I do, I cannot seem to boot into recovery and I have no idea what the issue is.

As per https://developer.sony.com/develop/open-devices/get-started/flash-tool/useful-key-combinations/, recovery is supposed to be "Volume down + Power key". But it never boots into recovery and TWRP - it just boots back to the stock firmware. I have also tried:

fastboot reboot recovery (after flashing TWRP to recovery)
fastboot boot TWRP.img

and it did appear to reboot. My windows OS is then recognizing the tablet, I can access the tablet filesystem (USB is still connected, but it's not booted into the stock firmware), but I don't see anything on the tablet screen.

I've also tried both suggestions at https://xdaforums.com/xperia-z2-tablet/help/recovery-mode-access-z2-wifi-tablet-t4116927, but still no luck.

So I am stumped on how to proceed.

Anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: Ok, I think I may have discovered something in another thread - the TWRP I downloaded is only to be used with custom ROMs already installed - not with stock Sony.

"Wait!!!!! are you installing TWRP on SONY Stock OS???? The versions of TWRP here are for custom roms. If you are using AICP or similar custom rom, then the above questions will help us narrow down the issue."

So now to track down a TWRP (or another) recovery that will work with stock Sony ROM until I get it converted over to AICP....

Last edited:

SpiritCroc

Feb 17, 2015
EDIT: Ok, I think I may have discovered something in another thread - the TWRP I downloaded is only to be used with custom ROMs already installed - not with stock Sony.

"Wait!!!!! are you installing TWRP on SONY Stock OS???? The versions of TWRP here are for custom roms. If you are using AICP or similar custom rom, then the above questions will help us narrow down the issue."

So now to track down a TWRP (or another) recovery that will work with stock Sony ROM until I get it converted over to AICP....

Right, for stock rom, you need a different recovery. If I remember correctly, I used this one back then: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2794175
Any particular reason why you chose AICP 14 over AICP 15?

DoubleByrd

Nov 23, 2020
Right, for stock rom, you need a different recovery. If I remember correctly, I used this one back then: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2794175
Any particular reason why you chose AICP 14 over AICP 15?

Thanks SpiritCroc. I'll try that one and see how it goes. I mostly chose 14 over 15 as this is my wife's tablet and there are still a few issues listed with 15. Do you feel 15 is stable enough even for a "regular" user?

EDIT: I've been trying to use the DualRecovery, but still no luck. But I see that it says it needs Lollipop to make this work? Do I need to downgrade the firmware to android 5 and then use again?

Last edited:

SpiritCroc

Feb 17, 2015
Thanks SpiritCroc. I'll try that one and see how it goes. I mostly chose 14 over 15 as this is my wife's tablet and there are still a few issues listed with 15. Do you feel 15 is stable enough even for a "regular" user?

EDIT: I've been trying to use the DualRecovery, but still no luck. But I see that it says it needs Lollipop to make this work? Do I need to downgrade the firmware to android 5 and then use again?

15 is still being built, 14 is not supported officially anymore. 15 is stable enough for me, but I can't speak for "regular" users - best to try out yourself.

I don't know what the requirements for dualrecovery are. Usually, when no recovery works, I just flash the full ROM using fastboot. If you want to flash the full ROM using fastboot to bypass recovery troubles, I might be able to upload the required files later (you need boot.img, system.img and userdata.img, I'm not sure if you can extract them from the flashable zip, but I get them when compiling the ROM myself).

N_L

Aug 19, 2012
Can someone share castor(lte) rom with me, please? I tried 15 but I'm having few issues that make my tablet useless and everything ran great on 14 :/
Issues on 15 is bunch of apps crashing instantly or randomly,youube slower and sometimes not getting video running at all etc.
I'll try clean flash of latest 15 again and edit if somehow it fixes it

Last edited:

SkyHigh76

Sep 8, 2017
Can someone share castor(lte) rom with me, please? I tried 15 but I'm having few issues that make my tablet useless and everything ran great on 14 :/
Issues on 15 is bunch of apps crashing instantly or randomly,youube slower and sometimes not getting video running at all etc.
I'll try clean flash of latest 15 again and edit if somehow it fixes it
I uploaded the one from April to my google drive.

N_L

Aug 19, 2012
I downgraded and everything works great again except the newest firefox. I'm running some older version now but would love to have it fixed.
Newer firefox, 80+ releases, cause os to hang and then tablet reboots. Google led me to https://github.com/mozilla-mobile/fenix/issues/5663 and I see lineageos had it fixed, aicp15 as well but due to 14 not being supported I'm out of luck. I need some help with integrating that fix in my os if anyone is kind enough to offer a hand.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

logo_black.png

AICP
    Android Ice Cold Project

AICP is known by everyone as the "Ice Cold Project" that started on a Desire HD years ago (2012) and since then has evolved into a mature ROM with the BEST community that you can find!!!

Until Android Lollipop, the ROM has always been based on AOKP. Unfortunately, since AOKP stopped development (but made a comeback later), we changed our base to CM.
    With the re-brand of CM to LineageOS (LOS) we became LineageOS based with some tweaks from AOSP and we are now based on the "Ground Zero Open Source Project" (GZOSP) for Android Pie.

If there are any bugs, either we will sort them out or the GZOSP team, if it concerns their code base. This ROM isn't GZOSP supported, so there is no need to report errors/bugs to them!!

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>

/*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * We are not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications and if
     * you point the finger at us for messing up your device, we will laugh at you. Hard & a lot.
     */

features.png

Feature list (rough overview)

credits.png

In the beginning we would like to thank:

GZOSP team
    LineageOS & CM (R.I.P.) team
    @Maxwen and the rest of the OmniRom team
    DU team
    SlimRoms team
    Resurrection Remix team
    Community

team.png

@LorD ClockaN
    @zipsnet
    @eyosen
    @semdoc
    @SpiritCroc
    @wartomato
    @eboye
    plus the rest of the crazy bunch that we call "team"

donations.png

We are paying for servers that build nightlies/weeklies and everything that comes with it, so EVERY DONATION will really be appreciated and be used to cover those expenses.
    Thank you!!

downloads.png

Latest Stable Release Version 14.0

Download link: https://dwnld.aicp-rom.com

Test builds castor_windy (wifi): https://basketbuild.com/devs/SpiritCroc/castor_windy/AICP-p9.0
    Test builds castor (lte): https://basketbuild.com/devs/SpiritCroc/castor/AICP-p9.0
    Feedback from castor users, especially concerning mobile data, appreciated since I can only test on castor_windy.

Please note that official builds will be deleted from our servers every month due to maintenance services.
    We advise everyone to keep at least the latest or best working build on their device as a backup.
    Maybe copy it to a cloud service or USB too.

Google Apps:
    https://opengapps.org/?download=false&arch=arm&api=9.0&variant=pico

changelog.png

Full Changelog link: https://dwnld.aicp-rom.com
    (Just click the changelog button next to the download link in the list of builds available for your device)

issues.png

- You tell... :p

FAQ:
    Before using the ROM:
    Q. Can I have an ETA for the next build?
    A. Yes, just look in the OP to see if your device is built on a nightly or weekly schedule.

Q. Does this ROM support custom kernels officially?
    A. No. You can still use them, but discussion should go in the thread of the respective kernel. We don't offer support for bugs you might encounter while using them!

Q. Why doesn't this ROM support Xposed?
    A. Xposed is a hack that is geared towards AOSP. Custom ROMs modify the framework a lot, so Xposed can cause a ton of issues on custom ROMs. Now it might work for you, however it is not to be discussed in this thread, and you should refrain from posting bug reports.

Flashing the ROM:
    Q. What do I need to know before flashing?
    A. Check the install instructions in the first post...

Q. Can the builds be dirty flashed over each other?
    A. Yes, however make a nandroid backup first as there is a chance of getting a bootloop or encountering bugs. Also bugs may only be reported on a clean flash.

Q. How do I 'dirty flash' builds?
    A. Wipe the System, Cache and ART/Dalvik cache. Flash the ROM, GApps (only needed if you wipe the system), your preferred root solution and reboot. Or just use the OTA app to preform that task for you.

Using the ROM:

Q. I installed a bad theme and now I'm getting a bootloop, how do I fix it?
    A. In TWRP, flash the substratum rescue zip that's in the substratum folder on the internal storage.

Q. I'm having issues with WhatsApp, how do I fix it?
    A. Read this

Q. Do I need to provide a logcat if I'm reporting a bug?
    A. If you want it to be fixed faster (or at all) then yes, you should definitely provide a logcat. (Note: Please just link the logcat from your GDrive, Dropbox, etc. and do not post the content here. Thanks.)

Q. How do I get a logcat, what type should I get and more questions that can conveniently be answered by my pre-determined answer?
    A1. Read this thoroughly. Also, here's a good app for getting logs: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tortel.syslog (Root needed).
    A2. If you are already rooted, you can use the built-in feature to make a logcat and provide that. Just look into the others section in the AICP Extras main page.

instructions.png

The ROM should contain everything you need to enjoy Android Pie. You don't need to install any Add-on's, simply download the latest ROM, GApps, flash it and go!
    If you want the device to run the ROM "rooted", you can flash a root solution of your choice after the ROM Zipfile.

It is STRONGLY recommended to fully wipe your device before flashing and please avoid restoring system apps and system data with Titanium Backup as this can cause stability issues that are very hard to debug.
    If you believe you know what you're doing - then fine, go ahead, but please don't complain if you experience any strange behavior.

How to flash for the first time:
    (Again: Don't do it if you don't know it!)

1. Download the ROM and GApps and transfer them to your device.
    2. Boot to recovery (latest TWRP from the CarbonROM thread recommended).
    3. Wipe the System, Cache, Data and ART/Dalvik cache.
    4. Flash the ROM Zipfile.
    5. Flash the GApps (optional, needed for e.g. Google Playstore to work).
    6. Reboot your device.
    The procedure might vary from device to device and is a bit different on system updates!

The ROM has GApps persistence in between dirty flashes, so you only have to flash them once!
    The root solution can be flashed together with every OTA update (= ROM Update)

Currently supported Root Solution:

Magisk stable
    Magisk versions >= 17.2 don't usually require to be flashed on every dirty flash.

PREREQUISITE FOR OTA ("Over-The-Air" Updates):
    To be able to flash using the built-in OTA app, TWRP recovery is needed.
    Please be sure that you are on the latest TWRP recovery. Keep in mind that this could also be an unofficial version!

If you want to contribute to the AICP or want see what is being worked on/merged, feel free to visit our Gerrit code review system. (Link is at the bottom!!!)

sources.png

Kernel source:
    https://github.com/AICP/kernel_sony_msm8974/tree/p9.0

ROM & Additional links:
    AICP's Homepage
    AICP Gerrit Code Review
    AICP sources on Github
    AICP Download page for official builds and media content
    AICP Discord Community

Contributors:
    rcstar6696
    AdrianDC
    drakonizer
    Myself5
    All the other contributors to sony msm8974 platform

You want to see a "normal" night at the "DEV office", click here!!

XDA:DevDB Information
    Android Ice Cold Project (AICP) 14.0 (p9.0) castor/_windy (Sony Z2 Tablet), ROM for the Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet

Contributors
    SpiritCroc
    Source Code: https://github.com/AICP

ROM OS Version: 9.x Pie
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.4.x
    ROM Firmware Required: Unlocked bootloader

Version Information

Created 2018-12-29
    Last Updated 2020-10-18
    I opened a new thread for AICP 15 (Android 10).
    I've been running AICP 15 on my Z2 Tablet for some time now and it seems to work well for what I'm using it.
    I haven't found the time to fix some remaining minor issues yet and don't know when I will, and also haven't tested every single aspect, but I figured I'd share anyway and let you test :)
    End of Pie builds

Android 9-based official AICP builds have been stopped, as it is time to finally fully move on to Android 10.
    As builds get removed from the server after some time, make sure to backup builds locally if you want to keep them.

Unfortunately, due to some small bugs in AICP 15.0 for z2 tablet, I'm not adding it to official builds for now.
    You can find more details and try out Android 10 in the xda thread for AICP 15.0 here.

ATTENTION: Upgrading to a new Android version requires a clean flash, so keep that in mind in case you get a notification for an update to AICP 15.0.
    I recommend you to backup your device before upgrading.
    Is Android 10 possible?

Android 10 is planned, but I need to take care of my other devices first
    Reserved

Device-specific changelog for test builds:
    If a new build has no entry in here, it most likely only contains non-device-specific changes like e.g. new features or security patch level. For a complete ROM changelog, please refer to AICP gerrit or inbuilt changelog in AICP Extras.

20190118_17*
    - Added back widevine blobs

20190112_1*
    - Fixed offline charging (with wall charger)
    - Fixed double tap to wake
    - Fixed mac address

20181229_13*
    - Initial release