FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Z2] Stuck SIM card tray nanoSIM adaptor FIX

107 posts
Thanks Meter: 140

By tipsek, Senior Member on 16th February 2015, 07:39 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Is your SIM card tray stuck with your nanoSIM adaptor inside and you can't get it out? Did you put the SIM card tray inside your phone with only nanoSIM adaptor and no nanoSIM card by accident like I did?

DON'T PANIC!! DON'T PULL OUT BY FORCE!! PUT YOUR PHONE DOWN AND READ!!

What happened to me, I have a nanoSIM card, and since Z2 uses microSIM, I had to use an adapter nanoSIM -> microSIM. I took the tray out of the phone, my nanoSIM fell out, and tray went back in the phone with only nanoSIM adapter, without the nanoSIM card!

And then you have a problem, because you cannot pull the SIM tray out of your phone! It gets stuck, so don't pull it out by force! This might also happen with just a microSIM card or adaptor with nanoSIM card and maybe even with only the tray without anything.

Reason is, because there are 3 little pins inside the phone, above the place where microSIM card has contacts, to keep it in place. In my example, because only nanoSIM adapter was inside without the nanoSIM card, that created a hole, in which pins got stuck. So those 3 little pins were blocking the nanoSIM adapter to come out.
Red marked space is the culprit.

I did some quick googling and to my surprise I didn't find anything specific for the Sony Xperia Z2, only some advices for other phones like iPhone, Nexus, HTC... While they gave me some tips and guidelines, Z2 doesn't have a system like other phones with some "eject" button tool so it was a bit different. But I'm happy to announce I did get it out, and I will share my instructions to help others should this happen to you (but I hope it doesn't!).

Disclaimer:
I'm trying to help you here. This worked for me, but it might not work for you. Everything you do is at your own risk. Read this and adapt to your situation. Don't blame me if something goes wrong!

Instructions:

1. Put your phone on the edge of a desk, face down, so that the SIM tray area is only just over the edge. Find a very thin but very sturdy, hard plastic. Something like little plastic packages that hold tiny stuff. Look at the picture what I mean. You can probobly use also something like a very thin screen protector squegee thingy, or something else. It's important that its sturdy, but also thin. I had to use 2 layers, because 1 was too thin. Experiment with this a bit.
  2. You should cut the plastic "tool" that will help you so that it's width is as the width of the nanoSIM card or preferably slightly less (so you can put it inbetween the hole space).
  3. Now the actual work: use both hands, Im using one hand just to illustrate what to do, and I didnt stick the adaptor in just to take the picture, thats why only tray is visible. With one hand (finger) gently pull the tray (just a milimeter maybe, just so it starts to go) and bend it down slightly. With other hand, hold your plastic tool, push it inside the phone, above the tray and adaptor, but in the "hole" (marked with red o nprevious pic), on far fright side of the adaptor. Apply pressure up with the tool, wiggle a bit inside-out, and try to apply pressure UP all the time and wiggle, and at the same time with other hand slowly pull out the tray. What you are doing with the tool is pushing pins up, which pushes them out of the hole, which enables you to pull out the tray. It might take some tries, be patient and gentle. If you pull out too much, push slightly back in, and retry. See picture to easier understand what you're supposed to do.
  4. You should be able to get the tray out. Now never push it in with only adaptor
If you break your pins they might not honor your warranty and a new motherboard is expensive stuff so treat with care! But if you manage to solve this, even if you break the tray itself, thats a few buxks off ebay.

Thanks for your attention and have a great day
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to tipsek For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tipsek Ad-Free

17th February 2015, 01:39 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 52

More
Thank you for the very useful guide! This happened to me before. My previous Z2 had my sim stuck tight inside. I tried pulling it carelessly with a paper clip. It came off but with a small, like literally this small ~ gold color pin.. After that, phone is good as a wifi only device. I sent it to a Sony Service center, and repair is as good as buying a new one, maybe around $400. I was like "WHAT? THAT EXPENSIVE FOR A SMALL PIN LIKE THAT??!!" I was thinking they were planning to rip me off, y'know corrupt people (theres plenty here in the Philippines).

Well we can bet that Z2 is hard to repair because of its unremovable body and waterproof design. I got my 2nd Z2 and taking good care of it. I sold my previous Z2 for around $200, better than nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to xarfrost For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xarfrost Ad-Free
7th May 2015, 03:28 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by xarfrost

Thank you for the very useful guide! This happened to me before. My previous Z2 had my sim stuck tight inside. I tried pulling it carelessly with a paper clip. It came off but with a small, like literally this small ~ gold color pin.. After that, phone is good as a wifi only device. I sent it to a Sony Service center, and repair is as good as buying a new one, maybe around $400. I was like "WHAT? THAT EXPENSIVE FOR A SMALL PIN LIKE THAT??!!" I was thinking they were planning to rip me off, y'know corrupt people (theres plenty here in the Philippines).

Well we can bet that Z2 is hard to repair because of its unremovable body and waterproof design. I got my 2nd Z2 and taking good care of it. I sold my previous Z2 for around $200, better than nothing.

This is what exactly happened to me. I did bring it to Sony Service but I did not tell them what happened. I just said the phone don't recognize the sim anymore... They send the phone to repair and I guess they have no idea what was wrong so they send me a new phone after 3 week. They did not charge me any money because my phone was still under warranty and they thought It was malfunction lol... So next time, you dont tell them anything, just act stupid.
16th June 2015, 01:32 PM |#4  
Flag Athens, GR
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Thanks for the tip/guide! It really helped me yesterday, when my microsim adapter was stuck inside the sim tray of the SE Xperia Ray, I had been using as a temporary replacement!
24th June 2015, 10:25 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
For as long time as I started to use smartphones,, i thought S-OFFing in Sensation was hard. Now this is definitely harder. I use Z2 now, but I think I will just let the repair staff exchange SIM card for me. No hassle, and if something was broken, they broke it.
29th June 2015, 06:21 PM |#6  
Flag Athens, GR
Thanks Meter: 17

More
I didn't find it that hard. On my 2nd or 3rd try I got it out. I was so relieved afterwards! I was afraid of destroying my Xperia Ray which is a little handset I really like...
21st December 2015, 12:56 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Thank you so much! Saved my day. I fixed my Xperia Z1 Compact without any problems.
17th April 2016, 05:20 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
You are a genius!..probably saved my phone... I had forced the adapter out and half of it broke...so the other half was left in the phone (sony ultra z). Tried pulling it out using tweezers but that was useless, googled.. found this post.... got an old zoo card (looks like a credit card) same thickness as the sim card... cut a slice about the same width as a sim card like you said above... put it in the tray slot.heard what sounded like clicks or something... out comes the other half of the adapter... Thank you soo very much.!
11th July 2016, 04:49 PM |#9  

More
Thank you so much. It helped me solve the problem.
11th February 2017, 07:29 PM |#10  

More
Simple and perfect solution..
Took about 10 sec, saved me a bill & a huge headache
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)