FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Xperia Z2][SO-03F] Japan DoCoMo Model Thread

388 posts
Thanks Meter: 60

By domesdkg, Senior Member on 30th May 2014, 09:14 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I'm starting this thread as a meta-thread to gather all information specific to the Japanese variant of the Xepria Z2. From previous experience we tend to develop a small but committed community, but aren't big enough for XDA to open a dedicated forum.

Please add anything you know in the comments, and I will keep the OP updated with the latest information.

What we know so far:

A list of stock firmwares is maintained in this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2759934

ROM interoperability:
Quote:

You can flash D6503 Roms on docomo SO-03F, but some features are disabled. Specifically:

• docomo features
  • TV related features
  • NFC (includes FeliCa, Osaifu-Keitai)

When you want to flash D6503 FTF on SO-03F, be careful to partition.
You'll get only 16GB storage if you didn't exclude partition because SO-03F has 32GB but D6503 has only 16GB

*Thanks to lovenincube and RyokoN

On Unlocking bootloader/rooting:
Quote:

All Japanese Xperia models can't unlock bootloader, Japanese Carrier Model is locked bootloder.

The Japanese community does seem to have achieved root. See the link at the bottom.

SIM Unlocking:
Quote:

Go to DOCOMO store and open up the phone and type in *#*#7378423#*#* and check if the bootloader can be unlocked.

Phone should be locked to DOCOMO, you need to pay a small fee to get it unlocked. You need to make at least one call on an active DOCOMO SIM to complete the SIM unlock.

*Thanks Tea-Aholic

Global Capability
Quote:

The SO-03F supports the following bands:

• LTE 2100/1800/1500/800 MHz (Band 1,3,21,19)
  • WCDMA 2100/850/800 MHz
  • GSM 850/1900 MHz

If your operator does not broadcast on these bands, the phone WILL NOT WORK for you.
Source: http://xperia-so03f-wiki.fxtec.info/...DC%BB%F6%B9%E0
(The docomo site seems to only list the 4G bands)

Full specs can be found on the docomo site:
https://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/product/...o03f/spec.html
(In Japanese)

Wiki, including rooting guide (in Japanese):
http://xperia-so03f-wiki.fxtec.info/...C4%A4%A4%A4%C6

Translation of the rooting guide from the above link:
!!!If any of the links fail, please visit the original site and try them there!!!!

Quote:

D6503 can be rooted, so SO-03F can also be rooted.

SO-03F 17.1.B.0.318 root method

Things you will need:
Z2-lockeddualrecovery2.7.***-BETA.installer.zip

Process:
1. Root as detailed in this page
2. Unzip Z2-lockeddualrecovery2.7.***-BETA.installer.zip and run install.bat to install the recovery
3. Reboot, and when the LED comes on push the volume key, enter recovery, and install the SuperSU zip
4. Done!

While it should be handled by rootkitXperia, should you be unable to remount system in RW mode, install this zip from recovery.

When updating to a version that cannot be rooted by rootkitXperia, if you want to maintain your root you must update using a prerooted .zip
A custom recovery is necessary for this, so please install XZDR etc. in preparation.

Necessary Files:
Newest Flashtool (Mirror)
PRFCreator
Updated FTF
SuperSU .zip
Z2-lockeddualrecovery(XZDR version)-BETA.flashable.zip
.zip to run with ric_disabler in install-recovery-2.sh

Process:
1. prepare prerooted zip
Open PRFCreator, create prerooted zip
Details of this difficult process are in this article
2. Enable USB debugging
3. Connect to a PC, copy flashable.zip to the phone
(you can name it anything you like)
4. Reboot and push the volume key, start CWM / TWRP, install flashable.zip
5. Install sony_ric_disablerv2_signed.zip
6. Done!

The Following User Says Thank You to domesdkg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift domesdkg Ad-Free

30th May 2014, 11:37 AM |#2  
Flag Kyoto
Thanks Meter: 3,660

Donate to Me
More
Some corrections and info...

"For the moment, no way to root without lossing DRM Keys. " and rooting information for D65XX should be deleted.
"For the moment, no way to root" is correct but since you can't unlock SO-03F's bootloader, "without lossing DRM Keys" will cause a misunderstanding.
Rooting information for D65XX is useless because you can't flash custom kernel on SO-03F.

You'll get only 16GB storage if you didn't exclude partition because SO-03F has 32GB but D6503 has only 16GB.

You'll lose these features when you flash D6503 FTF:
  • docomo features
  • TV related features
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndroPlus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift AndroPlus Ad-Free
30th May 2014, 11:47 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Tokyo

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyokoN

Some corrections and info...

"For the moment, no way to root without lossing DRM Keys. " and rooting information for D65XX should be deleted.
"For the moment, no way to root" is correct but since you can't unlock SO-03F's bootloader, "without lossing DRM Keys" will cause a misunderstanding.
Rooting information for D65XX is useless because you can't flash custom kernel on SO-03F.

You'll get only 16GB storage if you didn't exclude partition because SO-03F has 32GB but D6503 has only 16GB.

You'll lose these features when you flash D6503 FTF:

• docomo features
  • TV related features

Thanks for the extra info, I've updated the OP
30th May 2014, 05:04 PM |#4  
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 372

More
I have a D6503 with TW stock and would like to try the Docomo firmware. Anyone try it yet? Any concerns?

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
2nd June 2014, 01:54 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by domesdkg

I'm starting this thread as a meta-thread to gather all information specific to the Japanese variant of the Xepria Z2. From previous experience we tend to develop a small but committed community, but aren't big enough for XDA to open a dedicated forum.

Please add anything you know in the comments, and I will keep the OP updated with the latest information.

What we know so far:

A list of stock firmwares is maintained in this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2759934

ROM interoperability:

On Unlocking bootloader/rooting:

SIM Unlocking:

*Thanks Tea-Aholic

I heard the Japanese didn't release the Z2 but a similar one, the ZL2, which is pretty similar asides from its size.

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app
2nd June 2014, 02:04 PM |#6  
Flag Kyoto
Thanks Meter: 3,660

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz0ku

I heard the Japanese didn't release the Z2 but a similar one, the ZL2, which is pretty similar asides from its size.

NTT docomo releases Xperia Z2 SO-03F.
https://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/product/smart_phone/so03f/
ZL2 was released by au (uses CDMA2000 and have to release exclusive phone)
2nd June 2014, 02:06 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Tokyo

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz0ku

You're probably thinking of the au kddi model. The docomo model (SO-03F) is branded as the xperia Z2. It's almost identical to the D6503, except for a few radios, 32gb of storage space, and perhaps a few other tweaks yet to be uncovered.

Sent from my SC-06D using Tapatalk
11th June 2014, 03:15 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
may i know this japan xperia z2 regarding 4G LTE frequency , how to add or change to 2600mhz ?? because my country use 2600mhz
11th June 2014, 03:29 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Tokyo

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by azwina

may i know this japan xperia z2 regarding 4G LTE frequency , how to add or change to 2600mhz ?? because my country use 2600mhz

You can't.

The SO-03F supports:

You can see the full specs here in Japanese:
https://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/product/...o03f/spec.html
20th June 2014, 05:06 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
SO-03F or ZL2?
So, stay with DoCoMo, upgrade to the SO-03F but get no love as an existing customer,
or switch to Au and the ZL2? Concerns would be which carrier loads up the most crapware, which device has the best chance for being rooted, etc...
20th June 2014, 05:23 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Tokyo

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShizuokaMark

So, stay with DoCoMo, upgrade to the SO-03F but get no love as an existing customer,
or switch to Au and the ZL2? Concerns would be which carrier loads up the most crapware, which device has the best chance for being rooted, etc...

From what I've seen the DoCoMo version is closer to the global version, as AU has to modify it for their wireless standards. I think that's why it ends up with that hideous plastic back too.

Honestly, if I was going to go to AU instead of sticking with DoCoMo I'd wait until July when they release their G3 variant. It's got the same awful back modification on it, but seems to be an all around winner compared to the ZL2:
http://gadgets.ndtv.com/lg-isai-fl-1584

Additionally, we're only 5 days away from Google I/O. Chances are there won't be any announcements that affect the Japan market immediately, but I wouldn't make any purchasing decisions until then. Google Silver could cause some waves.
The Following User Says Thank You to domesdkg For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift domesdkg Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
so-03f, xperia z2

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)