FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Easy Fix for Throttling

292 posts
Thanks Meter: 135

By schecter7, Senior Member on 7th July 2015, 09:52 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Edit: This is just a fun project. Every octa core phone throttles. That includes my S6. Its AnTuTu score from 5 back to back runs with similar 32C start ranges from 65K to 52K. That means a similar drop in performance. Also overheating & throttling are two very different things. Z3+ & S6 both throttle so that they don't get too hot (or 'overheat'). Glass backs on both don't help either, but I like them anyway. I was just trying to speed up the cooling process- not to cool down anything as the phone doesn't 'overheat' in the first place. You won't notice this throttling with regular usage & all these temperature numbers are for internal temp, not surface temp. I hope this clears up my intent. *End of Edit* 07/21/2015

This is probably the easiest way to decrease throttling during heavy CPU workload. All I had to do is insert few foil layers between the phone & TPU case. Attached picture shows plots from three scenarios - no case, just case, foil & case respectively. Oh, NFC will get blocked out by the foil. But I don't use it much anyway. Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	11652
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	3401946   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0352.jpg
Views:	12220
Size:	258.7 KB
ID:	3401947  
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to schecter7 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift schecter7 Ad-Free

7th July 2015, 10:04 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Austin, TX

More
#Reserved#
21st July 2015, 02:19 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Very interesting thread, mate! It made my lazy as* to sign up just to post my results. Oh, I used this copper foil with a case. You won't need that much, btw lol

amazon dot com/Louis-Crafts-Copper-Foil-Inches/dp/B0042SWM98

My scores (normalized like yours) from 5 consecutive AnTuTu runs (& my initial temp was also a bit higher than yours)

Initial Temp (C) Score

0 34 100%
1 48.1 91.10%
2 49.1 86.86%
3 49.8 84.80%
4 50.1 83.00%

4K Test:

Outdoor-> 4 minutes in 96F / 35.5 degree Celsius weather (starting CPU temp was 37C as I was using few apps before the recording started )

Walked back home two minutes later and then

Indoor -> 9.5 minutes (CPU was still warm at 41C)

It really is the easiest fix ever for extreme users who use case anyway. Thanks!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nfs2010 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift nfs2010 Ad-Free
21st July 2015, 08:07 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Austin, TX

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nfs2010

Oh, I used this copper foil with a case. You won't need that much, btw lol

That's freakin' awesome, dude I never knew copper foil existed. Since I can't afford diamond foil, I'll go with copper I'll take the whole roll though as people are (primarily) using it for shielding their guitar pickups. Thanks a lot for your tip.
The Following User Says Thank You to schecter7 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift schecter7 Ad-Free
21st July 2015, 07:08 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 84

More
Have you guys considered the fact that the phone might, and let me say it again, MIGHT get hotter because we're in summer and it's seriously hot outside? I just checked the forecast for Austin TX, OP's town according to his info, and he has 37C over there. I think that MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT have something to do with the phone getting hotter than usual.

Just saying.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarkMRL For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MarkMRL Ad-Free
21st July 2015, 10:51 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by schecter7

This is probably the easiest way to decrease throttling during heavy CPU workload. All I had to do is insert few foil layers between the phone & TPU case. Attached picture shows plots from three scenarios - no case, just case, foil & case respectively. Oh, NFC will get blocked out by the foil. But I don't use it much anyway. Cheers.

What do you think about putting foil around the actual battery? Some people have suggested putting paper around it. Does anyone think either of those things are safe?
The Following User Says Thank You to pacattack81 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pacattack81 Ad-Free
22nd July 2015, 12:39 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Austin, TX

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMRL

Have you guys considered the fact that the phone might, and let me say it again, MIGHT get hotter because we're in summer and it's seriously hot outside? I just checked the forecast for Austin TX, OP's town according to his info, and he has 37C over there. I think that MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT have something to do with the phone getting hotter than usual.

Just saying.

Yes, it's quite hot over here in ATX. I added an extra comment to my first post. I hope that makes things clear now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacattack81

What do you think about putting foil around the actual battery? Some people have suggested putting paper around it. Does anyone think either of those things are safe?

The foil will short out the internal components and your phone may get toasted . Please DO NOT try it. But I really wanted to open the back and put some thermal compound like this one. I'll try it some day!
22nd July 2015, 01:12 AM |#8  

More
Quote:

Yes, it's quite hot over here in ATX. I added an extra comment to my first post. I hope that makes things clear now.

The foil will short out the internal components and your phone may get toasted . Please DO NOT try it. But I really wanted to open the back and put some thermal compound like. I'll try it some day!

Thanks I was very close to trying it out. Funny you should mention the thermal compound...there's a guy on YouTube who opened up the nexus 5 and put some on the CPU and a little piece of metal
heat sink. I have the thermal compound but I don't have the piece of heatsink to test it out so I haven't tried it. One day I'm going to try it though as I have a nexus 5.
22nd July 2015, 01:42 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Austin, TX

More
Quote:

Thanks I was very close to trying it out. Funny you should mention the thermal compound...there's a guy on YouTube who opened up the nexus 5 and put some on the CPU and a little piece of metal
heat sink. I have the thermal compound but I don't have the piece of heatsink to test it out so I haven't tried it. One day I'm going to try it though as I have a nexus 5.

That's great! You'll have better luck with the compound on the N5 as it has plastic back - I guess? On Z3+, I'll probably get bottle-necked by the glass back regardless of the internal enhancement. I could be wrong though if the heat sink goes all the way to metal side frame. It's certainly worth a shot.

As battery wrap, you'd probably want something that's thermally conductive AND electrically non-conductive.
22nd July 2015, 02:28 AM |#10  

More
Quote:

That's great! You'll have better luck with the compound on the N5 as it has plastic back - I guess? On Z3+, I'll probably get bottle-necked by the glass back regardless of the internal enhancement. I could be wrong though if the heat sink goes all the way to metal side frame. It's certainly worth a shot.

As battery wrap, you'd probably want something that's thermally conductive AND electrically non-conductive.

Yea, there's got to be something you can wrap around a smartphone battery that could shield in the heat. I just bought an oppo find 7a and it has a removable back. Maybe some sort of insulation can be put on the inside back cover so your hands don't feel the heat when the phone heats up. Any ideas for either the battery and/or back cover? What's thermally conductive, but not electrically conductive?

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Quote:

Yea, there's got to be something you can wrap around a smartphone battery that could shield in the heat. I just bought an oppo find 7a and it has a removable back. Maybe some sort of insulation can be put on the inside back cover so your hands don't feel the heat when the phone heats up. Any ideas for either the battery and/or back cover? What's thermally conductive, but not electrically conductive?

I can't post links yet, but what about putting some cotton insulation inside the back case? I would think that might shield us from holding a hot phone. Also, what about reflective insulation tape? I think that might actually work. Thoughts?
22nd July 2015, 02:51 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Austin, TX

More
Quote:

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

I can't post links yet, but what about putting some cotton insulation inside the back case? I would think that might shield us from holding a hot phone. Also, what about reflective insulation tape? I think that might actually work. Thoughts?

Wait, we're not on the same page. I was trying to avoid throttling (not shielding the heat). Z3+ back side heats up where the CPU seats (very small spot somewhere underneath the top row of icons). The idea was to take that heat and spread it laterally over a bigger surface area to speed up the cooling process. Without the foil, I still don't feel the heat as my fingers don't touch that hot spot. The foil also indirectly reduces the hot feel from that tiny spot as the heat gets spread more uniformly.

But your case sounds different. You want to avoid the heat from the battery (or the CPU) ? Battery already has a pretty big surface area. And you probably don't want to keep the heat inside by using thermal insulators as that can be very harmful for the battery. You probably want to establish an even faster heat transfer to the environment so that equilibrium point can be maintained at a lower surface temperature. Is that right? A metal back cover can help in that case.

Also here are some electrical insulators that are thermally conductive - but I'm not quite sure about the availability of those

https://www.physicsforums.com/thread...terial.125368/
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)