Dirty ROOT solution - for unlocked BL

Search This thread

Zarreck

Oct 9, 2013
I have a E6683 Premium Dual running 32.1.A.1.163 marshmallow 6.0, and I'm a bit unsure where to go. I've read that there might be a difference in kernels between premium and regular but can't really confirm, I've also found prepackaged kernels for 31.1.A.1.163 but they appear to be for a different model.

Anybody able to point me in the right direction? I don't know what's safe to flash onto what and any information would be hugely appreciated!

Edit: Nevermind, I'm in the wrong forum.

Last edited:

ivanmemento

May 28, 2010
I have ported the Z5 Compact root method to Z5.

Please note that both recovery.img and kernel img are different from the Z5 Compact thread. Do not use recovery or kernel for Z5 Compact on your regular Z5 phone.

Disclaimer
I am well aware that this is not the nicest method of rooting, but I got the phone a few hours ago and haven't got the time to put together a better way.

Credits
@Tommy-Geenexus for Zombie kernel
@AndroPlus for Z5 recovery and guidance :good:
@Chainfire for SuperSU

Guide

First, you need to unlock you bootloader (I know, I know, now stop weeping :crying::crying::crying:)

A rooted device does not boot using default kernel, so you need to install an insecure kernel.
I have repacked stock Z5 (32.0.A.4.11) kernel to disable Sony RIC, dm verity, make it insecure, etc.
Flash using:
Code:
fastboot flash boot z5_stock_fixed.img

Reboot your phone using:
Code:
fastboot reboot
And verify that it works as expected.

Now, reboot your phone to bootloader again (see info how to at the end of post).
Then issue:
Code:
fastboot boot recovery.img
This recovery is partly broken, but it works well enough to install root.
Thanks to @AndroPlus for TWRP.

The phone will boot to a black screen, but you can connect to it using ADB.
You need to manually mount the system and userdata partition by issuing:
Code:
adb shell mount /dev/block/platform/soc.0/by-name/system /system
adb shell mount /dev/block/platform/soc.0/by-name/userdata /data

If you get this error:
mount: mounting /dev/block/platform/soc.0/by-name/system on /system failed: No such file or directory
You probably just need to wait a while and try again. You usually have to wait ~120 sec for the mount to work. Be patient.

If you got /system and /data to mount, you can now push SuperSU to the phone and install it:
Code:
adb push UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/media/0/
adb shell twrp install /data/media/0/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
adb shell rm /data/media/0/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip

If it all works, just reboot and enjoy root:
Code:
adb reboot

Files
z5_stock_fixed.img
recovery.img (for Z5)

Extra info
Boot to bootloader by adb command:
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
or by turning off the phone, and then hold down VOL UP while plugging in the USB cable.
Hi, to all :D since i brought this phone, i feel that will be more difficult than my old z1compact, when the root process was complicated, this one is a bit more :) I was on the dirty root method of z5 up here , and i did not find the link of 5.1 stock rom (i mean was removed) I want to ask if someone can give me a suggestion, because the stock before 6.0 was good and many apps works correctly, at the end with root and 5.1 i think is a good product and something like call recorder will work again (not like now that 6.0 is locking all this kind of features) By the way i understand that Backup of TA partition is not possible if i don't do root and need to unlock bootloader (and this is normal) but the best way to do this kind of "project" what is? --- I found 32.---A---200 firmware on line that is last for 5.1 (really don0t know what is the personalization and i guess there is italian in it) somebody can give me a suggestion if i can use this firmware to get back lollypop and do root ? thanks a lot i hope have write not so bad with my english :p

slayerz

May 15, 2008
Finally I managed to overcome the SE Linux issues and was able to create a version wich does not required any change in the kernel package anymore.
You can just flash it with recovery :D

Let me know if it works for you, then I will open a new thread for this.

Cheers,
Tobias

Greetings Tobias,

Is there any chance you make an updated flashable zip for Android Nougat? I get a bootloop when using it.

Kernel drm fix is not a solution as it has a some modifications that messes certificates or something that makes my VPN app (VPN Unlimited) fail to launch.
Perhaps you could guide me into modifying the system files myself (editing hex codes?).

Thanks.

Kind regards

Greetings Tobias,

Is there any chance you make an updated flashable zip for Android Nougat? I get a bootloop when using it.

Kernel drm fix is not a solution as it has a some modifications that messes certificates or something that makes my VPN app (VPN Unlimited) fail to launch.
Perhaps you could guide me into modifying the system files myself (editing hex codes?).

Thanks.

Kind regards

Sounds like your VPN app is performing a SafetyNet check. I would suggest following all the steps in the thread below to pass SafetyNet, this should get your VPN app working again. If you're already on Stock 7.1.1 then you only need to flash the modified kernel, recovery, and Magisk.

https://xdaforums.com/xperia-z5/development/kernel-stock-kernel-safetynet-patch-drm-t3616606

slayerz

May 15, 2008
Sounds like your VPN app is performing a SafetyNet check. I would suggest following all the steps in the thread below to pass SafetyNet, this should get your VPN app working again. If you're already on Stock 7.1.1 then you only need to flash the modified kernel, recovery, and Magisk.

https://xdaforums.com/xperia-z5/development/kernel-stock-kernel-safetynet-patch-drm-t3616606
Thanks for the input,

I have no problem running it with modded kernel and being rooted. It's just the DRM fix that messes it up.
Prior to Marshmallow, I have been using the flashable drmrestore.zip, and the VPN app worked fine.

It's actually after finding out and trying magisk/SafetyNet that I resorted to reviving this thread.

Didn't manage to get a SafetyNet pass though, I'm on Z5P. Screenshot_20170707-010442.png

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks for the input,

I have no problem running it with modded kernel and being rooted. It's just the DRM fix that messes it up.
Prior to Marshmallow, I have been using the flashable drmrestore.zip, and the VPN app worked fine.

Though, it's actually after finding out and trying magisk/SafetyNet that I resorted to reviving this thread.

Didn't manage to get a SafetyNet pass though, I'm on Z5P.View attachment 4203648

Did you enable Magisk-hide in the settings?

The only way you're going to pass SafetyNet is if you have not modified your system partition. Once you modify that, even Magisk can't help you pass SafetyNet, you'll have to start over and reflash the entire stock ROM.

slayerz

May 15, 2008
Did so just after updating to 7.1.1 and MagiskHide was on by default.

But then again, I have system apps frozen in Titanium Backup, which remains as such even when new firnware is flashed.

Just been reading, its possible there were leftovers from SuperSU, trying a 'unSU' to clean stuff.

Will investigate those and report if I get it a pass.

Thanks again.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Recover DRM credentials

Hi everyone,

in the meanwhile I was able to extract the Sony application credentials from another Sony device and I was able to write a wrapper library in order to inject them into the secd deamon.
    This will bring you back everything which is protected by Sony app credentials, e.g. X-Reality, enhanced camera function, Sony updates etc.
    This package needs SuperSU installed as it uses supolicy to patch the SE policy

For now I have created just a package for the Z5 dual, but I am working on a universal solution.

Just flash the attached kernel package to your device with fast boot as usual.
    Afterwards delete the contents of /data/credmgr. That's all.

Let me know if it works for you.
    I have ported the Z5 Compact root method to Z5.

Please note that both recovery.img and kernel img are different from the Z5 Compact thread. Do not use recovery or kernel for Z5 Compact on your regular Z5 phone.

Disclaimer
    I am well aware that this is not the nicest method of rooting, but I got the phone a few hours ago and haven't got the time to put together a better way.

Credits
    @Tommy-Geenexus for Zombie kernel
    @AndroPlus for Z5 recovery and guidance :good:
    @Chainfire for SuperSU

Guide

First, you need to unlock you bootloader (I know, I know, now stop weeping :crying::crying::crying:)

A rooted device does not boot using default kernel, so you need to install an insecure kernel.
    I have repacked stock Z5 (32.0.A.4.11) kernel to disable Sony RIC, dm verity, make it insecure, etc.
    Flash using:
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot z5_stock_fixed.img

Reboot your phone using:
    Code:
    fastboot reboot
    And verify that it works as expected.

Now, reboot your phone to bootloader again (see info how to at the end of post).
    Then issue:
    Code:
    fastboot boot recovery.img
    This recovery is partly broken, but it works well enough to install root.
    Thanks to @AndroPlus for TWRP.

The phone will boot to a black screen, but you can connect to it using ADB.
    You need to manually mount the system and userdata partition by issuing:
    Code:
    adb shell mount /dev/block/platform/soc.0/by-name/system /system
    adb shell mount /dev/block/platform/soc.0/by-name/userdata /data

If you get this error:
    mount: mounting /dev/block/platform/soc.0/by-name/system on /system failed: No such file or directory
    You probably just need to wait a while and try again. You usually have to wait ~120 sec for the mount to work. Be patient.

If you got /system and /data to mount, you can now push SuperSU to the phone and install it:
    Code:
    adb push UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip /data/media/0/
    adb shell twrp install /data/media/0/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip
    adb shell rm /data/media/0/UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.46.zip

If it all works, just reboot and enjoy root:
    Code:
    adb reboot

Files
    z5_stock_fixed.img
    recovery.img (for Z5)

Extra info
    Boot to bootloader by adb command:
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    or by turning off the phone, and then hold down VOL UP while plugging in the USB cable.
    Here is a new stock kernel boot.img with DM_VERITY and SONY_RIC disabled
    This is archived by changing just two files in the ramdisk:

• fstab.qcom
      remove "verify" from the line for /system (disables DM VERITY)
    • init.sony-platform.rc
      add "write /sys/kernel/security/sony_ric/enable 0" (disable RIC)

I also created a TWRP recovery image for the Z5 dual with the stock kernel, so you can easily flash SuperSU and xposed from the GUI

For now you have to enter recovery still with fastboot, but when I have some time I will adapt the scripts from dual recovery for other xperias in order to access it without fastboot.

BTW: I also have already some ideas for a hack to get the functions back, which you lost by unlocking the bootloader (X-Reality etc). But it will take a little bit more time to implement it.

Cheers,
    Tobias
    The final version for all Z5 without changing the kernel :D

Finally I managed to overcome the SE Linux issues and was able to create a version wich does not required any change in the kernel package anymore.
    You can just flash it with recovery :D

Let me know if it works for you, then I will open a new thread for this.

Cheers,
    Tobias
    As CLShortFuse has pointed out there is now a new dedicated thread for the DRM topic.

Regarding the kernel I think the only thing left is to integrate recovery in order to have to start it via fastboot every time.
    I will start to work on this in the next days and probably provide a kernel kitchen in order to automate the following steps for new kernel packages:

- Enable changes to /sytem
    I.e. disable dm verity and Sony RIC

- Integrate TRWP recovery

With this you will be able to update the kernel for your device on each update and don't have to wait until someone does the change
    So stay tuned ;)