FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Disappointed by the Z5 camera pictures quality: a critical comparison!

144 posts
Thanks Meter: 120

By dehnhaide, Senior Member on 4th October 2015, 09:45 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Dear all,

Like they say "the devil's in the details" and "the beauty is in the eye of the beholder"... Nonetheless this is not meant to inflame anyone but rather to open your eyes for what is to be seen.
It's not about fanboys wars but about waking up Sony until it's not too late. The idea for the pictures below is simple: they represent 100% zooms in comparisons of some of the currently available "heads on" camera tests between Sony Z5 and other models.
So far I will save my comments for later on. I should add I am a pro photographer for more than 15 year and - aside from the artistic misconceptions I might have - at least I properly understand what digital image quality about.

Source of images used in this comparison:
http://www.eprice.com.tw/mobile/talk...ompact-review/
AND
http://www.phonearena.com/news/First...arison_id73408

Provided other comparisons will show-up on the web I will take my time to add more of such 100% match-up. Enjoy and... spread the love!

>>>>
Proof 1
>>>>
Proof 2
>>>>
Proof 3
>>>>
Proof 4
>>>> Correction: the caption on the right should read Galaxy S6 not Note5. My bad!
Proof 5
>>>>
Proof 6
>>>>
Proof 7
>>>>
Proof 8
>>>>
Proof 9
>>>>
Proof 10
>>>>
Proof 11
>>>>
Proof 12
>>>>
Proof 13
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to dehnhaide For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dehnhaide Ad-Free

4th October 2015, 09:58 PM |#2  
Flag Gothenburg
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Hm, sure looks like the quality is quite bad compared to the Note 5 which is strange since reviews seem to rank it as one of the absolute best at the moment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Masssy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Masssy Ad-Free
4th October 2015, 10:14 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bucharest

More
I know dxomarks rushed review has given enormously high hopes to everyone looking at Sony but let's take that review with a pinch of salt. I highly dislike big praising reviews where no "pixel peeping" proofs are made available so that upon having finished reading the report everyone can get a good grasp at the proofs in the file and go home thoroughly accepting the results.
Not the case unfortunately with dxomarks and their last two "shouted" reviews: Sony's Z5 and Huawei's 6P...
The Following User Says Thank You to dehnhaide For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dehnhaide Ad-Free
4th October 2015, 10:58 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Lol. No EXIF data. Nothing except Adobe Photoshop data in EXIF. http://regex.info/exif.cgi?imgurl=ht...%2Fproof_1.jpg

Why do we must ever speak with you?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IT.Adviser For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift IT.Adviser Ad-Free
5th October 2015, 12:56 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Same old problem like the first xperia z... Noise...
The Following User Says Thank You to dule020 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dule020 Ad-Free
5th October 2015, 02:54 AM |#6  
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 372

More
Thanks for the comparison but in reality, if you truly want quality pictures in all conditions, no mobile phone will satisfy. That is why cameras are available.
The Following User Says Thank You to augie7107 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift augie7107 Ad-Free
5th October 2015, 05:26 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bucharest

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IT.Adviser

Lol. No EXIF data. Nothing except Adobe Photoshop data in EXIF. http://regex.info/exif.cgi?imgurl=ht...%2Fproof_1.jpg
Why do we must ever speak with you?

Let's not bring this to a kindergarten quarrel leveled, ok?
It is not about how we feel about brands and personal affinities. I have done a 100% fare comparison by opening the available pictures at the already discussed threads on xda Sony Z5 General sections. So, help yourself!

http://www.eprice.com.tw/mobile/talk...ompact-review/
AND

http://www.phonearena.com/news/First...arison_id73408
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dehnhaide For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dehnhaide Ad-Free
5th October 2015, 06:01 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
dissapointing xperia z5 camera quality
5th October 2015, 06:29 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 93

More
Ah guys, it's a 23mm wide-angle lens
The Xperia Z5 uses a 23mm wide-angle lens vs. the Note 5's 28mm lens. So, the Z5 pics are probably like 100% zoomed in further. I'm no photography expert (I'm a tech guy), but I think that speaks for itself. Those pics are not a fair comparison.

Edit: Correction, 24mm lens on the Z5.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joe_dude For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift joe_dude Ad-Free
5th October 2015, 06:41 AM |#10  
Flag Bamberg, Germany
Thanks Meter: 649

More
edit:Nevermind these arent your own photos. Cant take this an end all situation

Where did you get the photos? I mean they seem to be taken from many places and are you comparing a 16mp vs 8? or 23mp actual to 16mp
5th October 2015, 06:58 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bucharest

More
It's not about focal lenghts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_dude

The Xperia Z5 uses a 23mm wide-angle lens vs. the Note 5's 28mm lens. So, the Z5 pics are probably like 100% zoomed in further. I'm no photography expert (I'm a tech guy), but I think that speaks for itself. Those pics are not a fair comparison.

Hi @joe_dude,

It's not about focal lens here, in this comparison. Z5's 23mm vs a 28mm (Note5 or other camera) would result more in distortions and image degradation towards the image left/right sides, where Z5 seems to exhibit strong errors (as already pointed out in other threads). The 100% zoomed in crops I used in this comparison where mainly taken in the center area of the original picture so that it doesn't affect the overall balance of evaluation. So, NO, this is not where I tried to evaluate focal lengths and how their induced distortion was corrected by Sony's Z5.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)