Remove All Ads from XDA
H10 Turbo

Doubt about Xposed and A/B partition devices

1,933 posts
Thanks Meter: 582

By RusherDude, Senior Member on 10th July 2018, 04:44 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have a doubt about xposed systems on A/B partitions, for if anyone knows about this (maybe Pixel users):

Let's say you have your full setup on any slot rocking it (let's say huge modifications like xposed & maybe others (twrp, magisk/supersu, custom kernel, etc) on slot A) and suddently an OTA comes and flashes new full stock rom version on slot B and tries to run it succesfully on next reboot. And suddently after the reboot you find yourself on the updated new stock version on slot B without xposed (and without twrp&others too) in a clean instalation.

Now in this scenario..

a) slot A (which should have the xposed system you were rocking before the OTA and the succesfull slot change) is untouched or it is ruined with a copy from slot B after the succesfull boot??
b) if slot A survived untouched, can you just do a "fastboot --set-active=a" command and just reboot into the xposed system like before the OTA, or this doesnt work after the OTA and is ruined in some way?
c) if b) works (it should right.. right?), will the system try do download the OTA again asap you boot the old version on the slot A?
d) there's any way to block the Update Engine from updating, for example to wait till xposed is adapted for new version. For us Xposed users, waiting till new xposed version comes is a mantra that we have to do, and if we can't block OTAs or just undo what the Update Engine does... we're screwed?

Anyone on this scenario? I'm considering getting an A/B phone but this thing looks like a headache for anyone who likes to flash stuff and specially xposed.. since everything else you can reflash it on the new version mostly in a matter of hours/few days, xposed takes months to adapt.

I'd be glad if any Pixel xposed user could shed light onto those questions.

Thanks!

13th July 2018, 03:24 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

More
Noone seriously?
14th July 2018, 04:25 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 117

More
I have p2xl. I am not sure how a/b slots work for sure.

What I do know is that I have turned off automatic automatic updates under developer settings. I manually flash the stock ota image from google via twrp. Then reflssh twrp, custom kernel, and then magisk, the m ahisk installer has an Xposed built for magisk.

I usually just check google ota domtime around the 5th or 6th of each month.
The Following User Says Thank You to smartymcfly For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift smartymcfly Ad-Free
15th July 2018, 11:35 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartymcfly

I have p2xl. I am not sure how a/b slots work for sure.

What I do know is that I have turned off automatic automatic updates under developer settings. I manually flash the stock ota image from google via twrp. Then reflssh twrp, custom kernel, and then magisk, the m ahisk installer has an Xposed built for magisk.

I usually just check google ota domtime around the 5th or 6th of each month.

Interesting, so if you disable automatic updates, you never turned on the phone and found a clean installation without xposed and such?

thanks!
Yesterday, 12:19 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 117

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RusherDude

Interesting, so if you disable automatic updates, you never turned on the phone and dounf a clean installation without xposed and such?

thanks!

If there is an update, it sends me a notification to ask if I want to update. And because xposed is installed I do not think it can actually follow through with the update on it's own because it breaks google's safetynet.

The only time I have turned on my phone and found it without magisk and root and xposed was when I 1st turned it on, and one time I had to do a factory restore when I did unlock bootloader because I also had to send another command that is only on pixel 2xl that to unlock_critical in addition to it. That is it.
Yesterday, 12:22 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartymcfly

If there is an update, it sends me a notification to ask if I want to update. And because xposed is installed I do not think it can actually follow through with the update on it's own because it breaks google's safetynet.

The only time I have turned on my phone and found it without magisk and root and xposed was when I 1st turned it on, and one time I had to do a factory restore when I did unlock bootloader because I also had to send another command that is only on pixel 2xl that to unlock_critical in addition to it. That is it.

Awesome to hear

Btw, I don't think it would have a problem updating even if xposed is installing, normally the problem with incremental OTAs are if partitions are touched or not, and unlocking bootloader per se already breaks safetynet but OTAs can be installed, so safetynet is ignored, and in this A/B layout stuff would probably just be flashed on the other slot like if it had happened in the background. This is an interesting question if anyone knows it.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)