FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APK][Xposed] resOverloader - Overload applications res files

51 posts
Thanks Meter: 58

Post Reply Email Thread
Hello community,
I'm very glad to share my first trial of development which ran successfully for me and hope this will be useful for the rest.

I'm a big fan of a few chinese apps (baidu cloud, weiyun). Previously I was able to decompose and translate these apks to english until vendors injected apk signature validations into their apps. I even used these apps in foreign language but the experience were annoying. So I decided to translate these apps with some development. Eventually I came across resXploit by WisdomSky which give me a clue and I started this and it works .

Basically resOverloader overloads strings.xml file for any apk (application). Source code is hosted on github for other devs to incorporate other resources as well. I'm not experienced dev and sharing this here for others and further development.

How to setup
  1. Extract strings.xml from your target apk using apktool. read more
  2. Translate strings.xml to your language. (I had developed a tool for it and would share it later)
  3. Now create resOverloader folder in sdcard.
  4. Find your app full qualified name in applications under settings and create a folder with app full name. (eg. com.baidu.netdisk)
  5. Now copy the translated strings.xml to app folder inside resOverloader.
  6. Restart your phone and it is done.

Hope this will help starters and requesting experience devs to add arrays.xml to this.

Github: https://github.com/babuilyas/resOverloader

Change log:
2.0 : rebuilt with targetSDK 14 and it should work for 2.2+ now. pls confirm.

Thank you for reading... Cheers.
Attached Files
File Type: apk resOverloader_1.0.apk - [Click for QR Code] (264.2 KB, 1274 views)
File Type: apk resOverloader_2.0.apk - [Click for QR Code] (268.2 KB, 3552 views)
The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to babuilyas For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift babuilyas Ad-Free

7th May 2014, 05:35 AM |#2  
OP Member
Flag Karachi
Thanks Meter: 58

Donate to Me
More
Smile reserved
Thanks all for praising my work. Here is my translation utility which can help you translate any xml file with auto fixing of literals and escapes within source text.

How it works!
  1. The first step is, hand your xml file (strings.xml). Read OP
  2. Run XML_translator.exe and select the file to translate. (language selectors are not working now and hardcoded to CN->EN)
  3. Click Start translating.

The utility will take time and depends on source file length. At the end you will see strings-new.xml file. Rename it to strings.xml and use it with resOverloader.

I would soon remove the hardcoded part to enable multilingual translations.
Attached Files
File Type: rar XML translator.rar - [Click for QR Code] (964.2 KB, 1381 views)
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to babuilyas For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift babuilyas Ad-Free
7th May 2014, 05:43 AM |#3  
Flag Hanoi
Thanks Meter: 67

More
Thank you very much.

I made a request for this feature in the request thread sometime back, but no developer was interested. . I will try it now and report back.

Edit: IT WORKS. My translated texts show up.

However, I would like only to see the translated texts when the system language is switched to that language only. So I could see original English texts when the system language is set to English.
7th May 2014, 04:21 PM |#4  
Flag Cowtown, CA
Thanks Meter: 1,800

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nqk

Thank you very much.

I made a request for this feature in the request thread sometime back, but no developer was interested. . I will try it now and report back.

Edit: IT WORKS. My translated texts show up.

However, I would like only to see the translated texts when the system language is switched to that language only. So I could see original English texts when the system language is set to English.

OP could add localized string switching by checking filename suffix against Locale.getDefault().getLanguage(). So if you wanted to add multiple languages to an app, you'd just need strings-en.xml, strings-it.xml, etc etc
The Following User Says Thank You to agentdr8 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift agentdr8 Ad-Free
8th May 2014, 06:32 PM |#5  
Flag Kolkata
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Yay , now yunpan/tencent/baidu drive shall all become translated
8th May 2014, 08:36 PM |#6  
Recognized Translator
Flag Dubai
Thanks Meter: 663

More
I was thinking about it latest two weeks and someone made it! Impressive!
8th May 2014, 08:42 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
nice work.. i'm waiting the translate strings tool..
8th May 2014, 10:56 PM |#8  
Flag Setúbal
Thanks Meter: 119

More
This is really impressive.
Thank you very much for you work m8.
geekon
8th May 2014, 11:01 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I'm on stock N4, and can't get this module to work. I decompiled and translated strings.xml, but there's no change in app. Should be translated strings.xml compiled back, before putting it to sdcard?
8th May 2014, 11:49 PM |#10  
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 37

Donate to Me
More
Great module, thx for your work. Also very interested in your translation tool. Also been thinking a lot about how to automate APK translation but to no avail.
9th May 2014, 01:23 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 534

Donate to Me
More
Some features that i was thinking that can be added BUT not sure if they can be implemented:

- Load list of installed apps via GUI;
- Decompile the apk and extract the strings to a full app name folder (No idea if apk can be decompile from within an app)
- Tell user to edit the strings.xml
- Check if strings.xml was edited and in case it was prompt for reboot.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)