FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][4.0.3+ & GB][XPOSED] UnbelovedHosts

2,742 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,498

By defim, Senior Member on 17th April 2014, 07:46 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Xposed hosts blocker.

This app blocks host names of advertising, malware, spam, phone-home etc sites. You could import "hosts"-files by given urls.
With this app you have no more to alter the /etc/hosts file on the system partition, which was also a problem on some devices (eg Nexus 7) because changes where reverted after reboot.

Technical:
Name resolution request are answered with "No address associated with the hostname". This is even better than a common hosts file with redirects to 127.0.0.1, because no connection attemp follows. For logging of hostnames is no tcpdump needed!

Browser:
If you want to block content of websites, you have to use a browser app which does not tunnels everything through a proxy! This is because the proxy does also the name resolution. Negative examples I found: Google Chrome does not work.
UPDATE: XDA described how to use Chrome: DNS-based Ad Blockers are broken on latest Chrome versions, so here’s a fix
I'm using Dolphin with Jetpack, which works fine for me. Some more info in post #47. Opera Mobile Classic works also, see post #389
If you want to use Firefox you need Network Preferences Add-on, see hint of @ag43 here: post #297 - OR just open website "about:config" and delete content of "[network.]proxy.http", see hint of @TheClownDE here: post #483

This app will NOT be release in the Play Store because of Google's policy. Other apps like AdAway or AdFree where removed in the past... But you could anyway donate in the Play Store and/or on my website.

Limitiation:
  • No support of native querying binaries.
Donation:
  • You support this app!
  • Some hosts file import/export/sharing options
  • Logging of not denied host names
  • Blacklist/Whitelist/Patterns (Regex)
  • Timed download: 150 minutes after reboot, then every 4 days
Permissions:
  • RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED: set timer for download
  • ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE: download only via W-Lan
  • INTERNET: downloading of files
  • WAKE_LOCK: don't sleep while dl/import
  • EXTERNAL_STORAGE: export/import files

This app connects only to the websites you see for downloading hosts files!

Important:
This app needs the Xposed Framework. The framework requires root access for installation. Don't forget to enable the module in Xposed. You can grab it here: Xposed Installer

Play Store: <not available>
Xposed Repository: http://tinyurl.com/qgmz3sh
Changelog: http://tinyurl.com/net7rdh

Why this app? Common method modifying /etc/hosts file does not work in all cases

Translation:
You could find here a interface to translate the english strings: http://tinyurl.com/okycacj
A free account of www.oneskyapp.com is required to edit. Additional, please attach your email address or send it via PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unbelovedhosts1.png
Views:	17955
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	2702960   Click image for larger version

Name:	unbelovedhosts2.png
Views:	19214
Size:	169.2 KB
ID:	2702961   Click image for larger version

Name:	unbelovedhosts3.png
Views:	16690
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	2702962   Click image for larger version

Name:	unbelovedhosts4.png
Views:	11710
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	2997262  
The Following 46 Users Say Thank You to defim For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift defim Ad-Free

17th April 2014, 08:38 AM |#2  
Flag Jerusalem
Thanks Meter: 246

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by defim

Xposed hosts blocker.

Why this app? Common method modifying /etc/hosts file does not work in all cases

So, whats the difference between this and AdAway ?
The Following User Says Thank You to yanleites For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift yanleites Ad-Free
17th April 2014, 09:29 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 4,227

Donate to Me
More
So your adblocker app got ads? I'll need to donate in order to remove the ad?
That sounds funny
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to theknut For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift theknut Ad-Free
17th April 2014, 09:41 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by theknut

So your adblocker app got ads? I'll need to donate in order to remove the ad?
That sounds funny

Hehe, if you want is say this way, Yes.

If you look at the screenshot with logfiles, you could see FolderSync, Feed+ and Smart AppLock. They all are pro/donate/premium versions...
And I think it is okay to get more features which are not really needed, but nice
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to defim For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift defim Ad-Free
17th April 2014, 09:42 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanleites

So, whats the difference between this and AdAway ?

Quote of a part of the OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by defim

With this app you have no more to alter the /etc/hosts file on the system partition, which was also a problem on some devices (eg Nexus 7) because changes where reverted after reboot.

Technical:
Name resolution request are answered with "No address associated with the hostname". This is even better than a common hosts file with redirects to 127.0.0.1, because no connection attemp follows. For logging of hostnames is no tcpdump needed!

17th April 2014, 10:09 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 737

More
How about GB support @defim ?
The Following User Says Thank You to swat4samp For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift swat4samp Ad-Free
17th April 2014, 10:13 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 347

More
Opening settings seem to crash the app
17th April 2014, 10:15 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 355

Donate to Me
More
Tryin to get into settings gets me a FC. Also weren't the adblocker removed also from xposed few weeks back as the dev said something like it's going against the devs, practically taking a possibility to earn any money for their free apps?

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
17th April 2014, 10:18 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by AssToast

Opening settings seem to crash the app

Can you catch a error in logcat?
17th April 2014, 10:19 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by swat4samp

How about GB support @defim ?

I'll check that later, have to reflash my device for that. At the moment i'm improving some apps and finishing another new...
17th April 2014, 10:22 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAGOT

Tryin to get into settings gets me a FC. Also weren't the adblocker removed also from xposed few weeks back as the dev said something like it's going against the devs, practically taking a possibility to earn any money for their free apps?

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Have you a logcat of the fc?

In fact this is not a add-blocker, it blocks hostnames. And as you can see on the screenshot at the OP, in my case most of them are tracking sites

Btw, my 1st app had admob included. Was a big §%"$, not got any cent by it because no one touches adds...
Another thoughts: All "free" apps should be removed from Play Store, because nobody gets non-free ones
The Following User Says Thank You to defim For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift defim Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)