[MOD][XPOSED][N5] Ambient Light Sensor fix for Nexus 5

59 posts
Thanks Meter: 68

Post Reply Email Thread
18th April 2014, 02:23 PM |#11  
Flag Roswell, GA
Thanks Meter: 135

More
Anyone tries this on something other than an N5?
Motorola perhaps?

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk

18th April 2014, 11:41 PM |#12  
OP Member
Flag St. Petersburg

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirePsych

Anyone tries this on something other than an N5?
Motorola perhaps?

I'm pretty sure this wouldn't make any sense, at least with current implementation, which compares each input value against hardcoded 30000 lux.
18th April 2014, 11:55 PM |#13  
OP Member
Flag St. Petersburg

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bland.life

Wonder if custom ROMs like Omni and CM already have the fix baked in?

The problem is that a code to be patched is located in a device-independent part of Android, but only Nexus 5 build should be modified. However, I didn't research well whether there is a way to build some piece of base framework only for a particular device. Probably Omni/CM guys know better.
19th April 2014, 01:05 AM |#14  
Colorado Springs
Thanks Meter: 197

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnob

Still coming up very bright compared to Lux. Battery drain WILL be an issue.

Must be a variance between different devices because on my N5 auto-brightness indoors at night looks just a little on the dim side. In brighter light it looks good to me but I can't tell you what percentages it's using. I would probably like it 2 or 3 percentage points higher indoors but I'm fine with the way it is now. At least on my device I haven't seen any noticeable effect on battery life with auto-brightness on most of the time. Still getting 5-9 hrs of screen on time with my use. I made a comment in a previous post about auto-brightness being more accurate, I was referring to the way it would constantly adjust the brightness level and the changes would be big ones. Personally I think auto-brightness is much better with the module installed and in my case useable now. No, it's not as accurate as the auto-brightness is on my One X, which is amazingly accurate, for that kind of accuracy I would use something like Lux, maybe in conjunction with the module. I would give it a shot myself but I've purchased enough apps to modify the display brightness as it is. Running stock 4.4.2.

Edit:
Forgot to mention I'm using the dimmer backlight setting in the config file for the ElementalX kernel. I don't think that makes much of a difference in accuracy, if any, just how dark the display can potentially go. I also completely forgot that the dimmer backlight and auto-brightness levels are options available in the GravityBox module. As effing long as I've used GB I've never used those two options!
19th April 2014, 02:28 AM |#15  
Flag Roswell, GA
Thanks Meter: 135

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abusalimov

I'm pretty sure this wouldn't make any sense, at least with current implementation, which compares each input value against hardcoded 30000 lux.

Yup. Didn't work on my Razr M.

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk
19th April 2014, 11:53 PM |#16  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 406

More
I don't know what the issue is lol, but I have Franco kernel so I assume I'm immune to this right?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
20th April 2014, 12:12 AM |#17  
OP Member
Flag St. Petersburg

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeco7

I don't know what the issue is lol, but I have Franco kernel so I assume I'm immune to this right?

It doesn't matter, which kernel do you run, ALS is a user space driver. BTW I use franco kernel too.
3rd May 2014, 09:34 PM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
10000 lux
My N5 reports 10000 lux instead of 30000, very annoying

Running CM11.0 m5
3rd May 2014, 09:46 PM |#19  
OP Member
Flag St. Petersburg

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbloh

My N5 reports 10000 lux instead of 30000, very annoying

Running CM11.0 m5

Thanks for reporting. Is it reproduced on CM11.0 M5 only, did you try other ROMs? Does it show exactly 10000.0 lux? If so, I could catch this value as well.
8th May 2014, 12:41 AM |#20  
OP Member
Flag St. Petersburg

Donate to Me
More
New version 1.2 is available now:
- Always replace 0 lux with 1 lux to prevent auto-brightness changing hither and thither in a very low light environment
- Do not feed replaced values back to EMA filter (makes it more responsive to newly coming proper readings)
- Filter out 10000 lux as well (reported by zbloh)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to abusalimov For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift abusalimov Ad-Free
8th May 2014, 01:50 AM |#21  
OP Member
Flag St. Petersburg

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by abusalimov

The mod only removes random spikes reported by sensors. It does not affect an algo used by stock auto-brightness (any auto-broghtness is basically a function that maps a given input value from the sensors to the screen brightness; the mod just removes some trash from the input).

AFAIK the stock auto-brightness is configured through framework-res (google: config_autoBrightnessLcdBacklightValues, e.g. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2616914). Probably there is some app/mod for tweaking these options.

Just discovered that GravityBox already has an option to tweak stock auto-brightness curve. Changed level 2 (1-4 lux) from 26 to 17, and now I'm quite happy with a brightness at night (very dim or no light at all).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnob

Still coming up very bright compared to Lux. Battery drain WILL be an issue.

You could lower the rest levels as well, though they seem to be OK for me.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
auto-brightness, hal, hammerhead, light sensor, nexus 5

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)