[MOD][XPOSED][2.3+] DisableCriticalBatteryShutdown - v1.0 [ABANDONED]

442 posts
Thanks Meter: 3,372

By zst123, Inactive Recognized Developer on 24th December 2013, 08:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
23rd December 2015, 09:41 AM |#121  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I Lenovo A390, android version 4.0.4, how to make it work. Help me.
6th March 2016, 10:23 PM |#122  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by donev_go

Guys, it's almost the end of 2015 now and android phones have been around for almost a decade, but that aside, lithium ion batteries have been around for quite a bit longer and nobody ever tried to calibrate them before android. There's actually a good reason for that... SURPRISE, SURPRISE!!! Lithium ion batteries simply don't need any calibration. There is also nothing in the android os itself that could be calibrated. And in 2015 there are people that still feel the need to calibrate their batteries and that is ridiculous. Don't get me wrong out there. I'm not saying that this module is useless or something. If you find yourself with dying battery and there's something urgent to do with your phone this module could squeeze some more minutes or hours by preventing your phone from shutting down but that's it. The reason your device could still work with 1% battery is very simple. Lithium batteries must not be discharged below a specific level because that could (and most definitely will) damage the cells permanently but the battery could still provide enough voltage for the phone to work even below that specification. Also the level of automatic shutdown is set reasonably above that minimum level to prevent undercharge. By disabling shutdown you simply leave the device to drain the battery to the point when the voltage drops below what it could work with and it dies. There is no way to predict if that voltage is above the minimum specification of the battery or not so doing that even once could damage your battery permanently and irreversibly.
The conclusion is very simple... DON'T DO IT!!! Seriously... Don't!

Yes and no.

There are people who quote experience on their Android phones saying calibration is necessary. But knowing something a bit more about the chemistry and circuit behind it.. yes, calibration is not needed if all you need is a couple of indicator points, e.g. 100% full (at 4.2v) -- 75% full (3.9v) etc. However the problem is that voltage is only reliable when there is little to no power draw. When the mobile phone is using up a lot of energy, it can go lower than the cutoff voltage due to internal and external resistance, even though the battery is still safe. These voltage differences between different charge levels can be considerably smaller than the differences in voltage caused by changes in power draw -- thus voltage is not a perfect indicator of charge! And without calibration there may not be enough power to shut down safely before the voltage drops too low. And without calibration it usually starts conservative.

Why is calibration needed in these Android devices and not in many other devices with built in batteries? Because the same rom can be installed to multiple different devices with different power characteristics, be it variation between units or even completely different models. Thus pre-done calibration is impossible with custom roms.

AFAIK the biggest reason why cheap li-ion batteries (or ones that are about to die) go very quickly from 30% to 0% is due to increasingly high internal resistance. Without calibration the device would see these drops happening more and more dramatically as the phone gets older; with calibration it will go smoothly down from 100% to 0%, albeit with similar or the same use time.
2nd April 2016, 10:45 PM |#123  
Munich
Thanks Meter: 58

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by donev_go

Guys, it's almost the end of 2015 now and android phones have been around for almost a decade, but that aside, lithium ion batteries have been around for quite a bit longer and nobody ever tried to calibrate them before android. There's actually a good reason for that... SURPRISE, SURPRISE!!! Lithium ion batteries simply don't need any calibration.

My experiences with Lithium batteries were way different.
I have a 10 year old laptop with its original battery. When I got it, it was about 8 years old and the battery went down from 100% to 0% in just 30 minutes.
Then I disabled the automatic shutdown at 0% battery (via command line; it's not possible in the power options of Windows). This resulted in another 2 hours (!) of run time. I was really surprised about that.
And indeed the battery recalibrated from fully discharging. After I did this a few times, I got about 2,5 hours of run time before the battery level reached 0%, and a few minutes later the laptop turned off because of insufficient voltage - this is like it should be.

When using the DisableCriticalBatteryShutdown module on my Galaxy S4 for the first time, I guess I got an additional 15% out of the battery. And the battery seemed to recalibrate too, giving a noticeably longer run time before reaching 0%.

And as an electrical engineer, I hope to be able to bring some clarity into the question if this module harms the battery:
There are many things Lithium batteries don't like, some are avoidable, some aren't.
- Charging to 100%: Fully charging the battery causes some chemicals to irreversibly react with each other, as a consequence the battery loses some capacity
- Being at maximum charging voltage for long times: Even worse than simply charging to 100%, although most phone users (me included) do this by charging the phone over night
- High temperatures: Not a real issue in phones
- Discharging to its cutoff voltage: Like charging to 100%, this causes the battery to lose some capacity, and this is the only way the addon may slightly harm the battery
- Discharging below 2.5V: This may seriously harm or even destroy the battery, though I have seen Lithium cells discharged to 1 volt and working just fine after recharging. In phones with removable batteries, this is completely impossible because the battery has its own protection circuit which will just turn off the power when the battery voltage fells below like 2.7V.
I assume that phones with fixed batteries have similar protection circutis inside.

- Charging at high currents: This one isn't too well known, and maybe the worst. According to a NASA study of the year 2009, Lithium cells dramatically lose capacity when being charged at 1 C rate. After 200 cycles with 1 C charge and discharge rate, only 1.2Ah of the original 2.8Ah capacity was left!
Link to the study: https://batteryworkshop.msfc.nasa.gov/presentations/Perf_Safe_Test_Panasonic_Li-Ion_NCR_18650_Cells_JRead.pdf
Maybe the batteries improved since 2009, but since I read this I use just a 500mA charger for charging my Galaxy S4 overnight, and use the 2.4A charger only when I really need fast charging.

So, for optimum care, one should always keep the battery between 20% and 80%, and avoid using fast chargers.
On the other hand, there are lots of Li batteries in not so smart applications like cordless drills, where they are simply discharged down to 2.5V/cell, and there batteries also last for quite a while. I see no problem in occasionally discharging a phone battery to the point where the phone just dies.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 65536 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 65536 Ad-Free
4th May 2016, 11:36 PM |#124  
Look! On the rooftop!
Thanks Meter: 376

Donate to Me
More
wish there's been a development on kk and lp,mm,n roms
The Following User Says Thank You to BatDroid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift BatDroid Ad-Free
5th October 2016, 06:23 PM |#125  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 752

More
This was good for me on kk, wish the development continued further.
3rd January 2017, 08:47 AM |#126  
Flag Zapresic
Thanks Meter: 199

Donate to Me
More
Too bad this will not live on Lollipop. I have Z1 Compact that has bad battery (shows 1% and shuts down, suddenly from 80%) and this would have save me.
9th January 2018, 09:15 AM |#127  
Thanks Meter: 46

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by zst123

DisableCriticalBatteryShutdown
(for Xposed Framework)

Compatiblility
Not working on 4.3+
Tested only on AOSP 2.3, 4.0, 4.1

Sooo sad that it has no support for android 7.1.1.

Would be the best to calibrate my replacement accu.

Greetings by Idijt
30th June 2018, 09:53 AM |#128  
Flag Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Some similar method that is working actually for Oreo?
5th April 2019, 08:26 PM |#129  
Flag VT
Thanks Meter: 3,895

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp

I just released v0.99 of my Battery Shutdown Manager module which contains the said feature to disable the device shutdown for Android 4.2+.
I've tested it on an Android 5.0 device. It should work for pretty much all AOSP and CM-based ROMs. If the basic functionality of the module (the shutdown countdown dialog) works, the "Disable Shutdown" option should, too.

Credits to @zst123 for initially coming up with this idea. I followed his approach with a notification which tells you that a shutdown got blocked but added a "Power Off" button so you can cancel it (see screenshots).

Note that it's an experimental options for now, which does require a purchased pro version (in case sth. isn't working as expected I'll refund the purchase of course).
Once it's been tested further I'll graduate it to the normal (free) version.

LG ROMs are known to be incompatible with the module because LG changes some android internals, it's quite likely that more vendors did so.
I'm planning to add support for LG ROMs but need to find the time.
If your device is incompatible it just shouldn't work without negative side effects except a failure in the Xposed Log.
In case you want please post in the module thead and I'll try to add support for your ROM, too.

So i got Lot of tests going on. I got a s8 rooted snapdragon. So we got a 80% cap on charging. So i got a hack to charge past 80%. But one of these modules are needed as once I'm finished testing i will have a guide. Since my hack drops the battery gauge to 0% i get records due to"low power" even though I'm not. But will be trying this hopefully on nougat tonight to finish up this.... Thank you good sir for your wonderful contribution
9th October 2019, 10:24 AM |#130  

More
i have android projector rockchip rk3128 my original rom is bad so i have installed other model rom. same kind of hw and kernel ver 3.10.0. android is now starting but after start android is showing low battery and shutdown automatic in 1 sec. how to stop low battery shutdown in android 4.4.2. i can open firmware and repack firmware files what file or build.prop should i edit to stop this auto shutdown due to low power. please help me.
will this work in android 4.4.2

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

i have android 4.4.2 will this work on it ?
10th October 2019, 02:50 PM |#131  

More
no one help me on xda-developers my problem is android started but shutdown immediately after start due to no battery showing 1% battery critical battery shutdown and even charger is connected but not showing and my battery is full charged. how to fix this problem how to stop android to shutdown. anyone plz help me i will send u my firmware files. please contact me at [email protected]

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

no one help me on xda-developers my problem is android started but shutdown immediately after start due to no battery showing 1% battery critical battery shutdown and even charger is connected but not showing and my battery is full charged. how to fix this problem how to stop android to shutdown. anyone plz help me i will send u my firmware files. please contact me at [email protected]
how do i install if my device is shutting down immediately can i pre install this app inside system then flash this firmware to work plz let me know
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)