Thank you for all your kinds words.
I'm seeing the same bits and pieces mentioned by multiple people, so I'll try to summarize my thoughts on everything here.
Some people about asked about making donations. There is a bitcoin donation address in the top release post, as well as a paypal "donate to me" button under my name. A brownie would be highly appreciated.
For starters I want to get any bugs and important UI changes sorted out.
- More suggestions is not working -> The two bug reports on this have me somewhat confused. @oroboros74 @kouzelnik3 do you mean that you initially only see the standard 3 suggestions, but scrolling to display more (What more suggestions enables) works correctly?
- Popups are always in upper caps -> Depends on existing popups. Will fix.
- Should add a button to bring up the keyboard to test swipe settings
- The "Settings" under swipe should be renamed "Sensitivity"
- White space under these settings should be reduced
- Add option to hide launcher icon
- Rename "Dictionary" to "Shortcuts"
- Swipe Threshold and Speed indicators are confusing. -> Rename Threshold to "Trigger Distance" maybe. I am personally fond of the current speed indicator, as it's the only non-arbitrary display I can think of. Anything else wouldn't give the user any meaningful idea of how fast it is going to move. Not sure what to do about that one.
- Include "Add to" before the Shift Keys / Delete Keys / Modifier Keys menu items in settings.
- Add emoji to emoji predictions -> Same behavior can be accomplished using a shortcut with Secondary Suggestion enabled.
Feature requests will remain on the back-burner for now, until everything else is sorted out.
- Gesture (Swipe from number?) to switch to different layouts -> Maybe later
- Implementing Swiftkey's existing gestures (swipe left to delete etc)
- "Go to beginning" action in addition to "Go to end" -> The reason this doesn't exist is because it's not a pre-defined keyboard action (go to end is). It can certainly be done though.
- Method to access the Exi config app from Swiftkey
- In-app explanations of all the configuration options -> Would be a bit of work. Later.
- Toggle to disable full-screen keyboard -> Looking at the original could it should be doable. Will investigate. @godlesplay
- Ability to backup settings. -> For now you'll need to manually backup the app using android's existing backup features (or just copy the whole folder). Complete and partial backup/restore is a task for another day.
Originally Posted by oroboros74
- "Modifier": I instinctively clicked on the "modifier" button thinking I was supposed to set it up there. A popup shows up and I think I can click on the "modifier" button there too because it looks greyed out. I would instead of a greyed out modifier box, actually include the icon of the modifier (an icon of the symbols key). This would change if the user customizes the modifier key in settings.
This originally displayed 123 (The default key configured), but was changed to MODIFIER after I implemented arbitrary key mappings. The Modifier key is always greyed to communicate that it cannot be pressed.
Having it display the actual key currently configured might be difficult, as you can add multiple keys, or even have none.
Originally Posted by XGARX
I always press the period instead of space bar. Is there a way to make the space bar bigger? Wider
Possibly. I currently hook the method that decides where the actual keys are positioned, but only read them. I'm not sure if modifying them from here is viable, but it might be doable. That'll be a feature for down the road though.