FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[MOD][4.0+] Google Keyboard Custom Smilies - ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ DONGERS OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

7,953 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,664

By Quinny899, Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor on 26th February 2015, 09:27 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Google Keyboard has emojis. But not enough, what about when you're watching the excellent TwitchPlaysPokemon (as I write this, offline and in full riot mode) and need a wide range of "dongers" to input into chat in order to actually fit into the norm there?

That's why I made Google Keyboard Custom Smilies (from now, GKCS)

Here's what it does:
- Adds 124 preset "dongers" to the emoji keyboard's ":)" tab
- Limits the length of keyboard characters to 4, to prevent the UI looking horrible. Inputs are normal.
- Allows you to set your own labels for the inputs

You can also add your own custom text. It can be anything, from "" to the navy seals copypasta

And of course, it's fully customizable (order, delete what you don't want) and is material designed.

Please note that the inputting of Unicode symbols used in most of the emoticons requires the app to actually support them. If it doesn't, there's nothing I can do.

Some screenshots:

Xposed Repo

How to remove the banner ad
If you really want to hide it...
Download the attached zip
Unzip it
Copy the xml to /data/data/com.quinny898.xposed.googlekeyboardcustomsmileys/shared_prefs/ (if this doesn't exist, run the app first)
Reboot
Attached Files
File Type: zip prefs.zip - [Click for QR Code] (256 Bytes, 2464 views)
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to Quinny899 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th February 2015, 10:20 PM |#3  
Flag Emmeloord
Thanks Meter: 144

Donate to Me
More
"Logcat or it didn't happen" AHHAAHHAHAHA
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KingOfDope For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KingOfDope Ad-Free
27th February 2015, 12:02 AM |#4  
Flag Tumaco
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Hi, it´s a wondeful job..!!
But i have a question..
Only work on SMS App..??
Not shown in WhatsApp........
There is no possibility for it to work later in this app?
Thanks...
27th February 2015, 12:56 AM |#5  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Benavides

Hi, it´s a wondeful job..!!
But i have a question..
Only work on SMS App..??
Not shown in WhatsApp........
There is no possibility for it to work later in this app?
Thanks...

Hold enter and you will be able to choose the Emoji button in other apps too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lartsch For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Lartsch Ad-Free
27th February 2015, 07:57 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Does this work for Google Keyboard language variants? For example Google Korean Keyboard.
27th February 2015, 11:09 AM |#7  
OP Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Salford, Greater Manchester, UK

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulguy

Does this work for Google Keyboard language variants? For example Google Korean Keyboard.

The Korean keyboard is proguarded, so that's not happening any time soon
The Following User Says Thank You to Quinny899 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th February 2015, 07:44 PM |#8  
Flag Bothell
Thanks Meter: 2,750

More
A few bugs in the module UX -

1. When deleting dongers, from time to time, random dongers get deleted. For example, I tap the delete icon for donger X. Instead, donger N gets deleted.

2. Each time I delete any donger, the entire list's order gets reset. That is, I had moved the dongers around to my liking. But as soon as I delete any donger, the sort order resets.

Please please please fix these. I don't think any LogCat is required for this, right?
27th February 2015, 08:56 PM |#9  
OP Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Flag Salford, Greater Manchester, UK

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagarwa

A few bugs in the module UX -

1. When deleting dongers, from time to time, random dongers get deleted. For example, I tap the delete icon for donger X. Instead, donger N gets deleted.

2. Each time I delete any donger, the entire list's order gets reset. That is, I had moved the dongers around to my liking. But as soon as I delete any donger, the sort order resets.

Please please please fix these. I don't think any LogCat is required for this, right?

How quickly are you rearranging the items? It has to reapply all the items to the preferences every time and that might lag behind
27th February 2015, 10:55 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 40

More
Great addition.
28th February 2015, 03:46 AM |#11  
Flag Bothell
Thanks Meter: 2,750

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinny899

How quickly are you rearranging the items? It has to reapply all the items to the preferences every time and that might lag behind

Looks like time doesn't matter in this case. I deleted the ones I wanted to delete and sorted the remaining ones in the order I wanted. I then left the phone on my desk and didn't touch it for 2 hours. After that, I opened hangout, opened the keyboard and saw that the dongers are showing up in the order I had set.

Next, I open your app and delete one more donger. Aaaanddd... the sort order again resets.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
custom, google, keyboard, smilies, xposed

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)