FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[MOD][XPOSED][EOL] NoMapTips - For those of us who know what we're doing.

456 posts
Thanks Meter: 781

Post Reply Email Thread
8th October 2014, 01:41 AM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 300

More
Previous versions of the maps app had a "do not show again" check box, but Google removed it. Presumably this allows them to cash in on gathering more data on users by nagging them until they turn their wifi on all the time.

I'd get banned if I described my opinion of Google in any detail, so I'll just say "Thanks, Kevin!" Donation sent.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barnabydog For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift barnabydog Ad-Free

8th October 2014, 02:22 AM |#22  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabydog

Previous versions of the maps app had a "do not show again" check box, but Google removed it. Presumably this allows them to cash in on gathering more data on users by nagging them until they turn their wifi on all the time.

I'd get banned if I described my opinion of Google in any detail, so I'll just say "Thanks, Kevin!" Donation sent.

I really appreciate it. Thank you!
9th October 2014, 08:06 AM |#23  
Flag Hong Kong
Thanks Meter: 14

More
this is cool
i quote somebody said above "who will be using wifi while driving...so dumb".....nice app
9th October 2014, 06:55 PM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thank you!!!!!!!!
12th October 2014, 09:35 AM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 20

More
Thank you. This has been annoying every time I use Maps.
14th October 2014, 04:38 AM |#26  
Thank U so much for this module. I kno is Google way of being nosey, it's so obvious. But yea it's a battery hog to have wifi on when ya not connecting to a network.

I did learn something new or rather I want to ask. Can it use the location info from even locked Wifi I don't have connection to. I'm basically wondering if itll say help if I'm going down a random neighborhood which I definitely don't have access to. Like does it use the locked Wifi like GPS to triangulate my location?
14th October 2014, 05:30 AM |#27  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaKillaCJ

Thank U so much for this module. I kno is Google way of being nosey, it's so obvious. But yea it's a battery hog to have wifi on when ya not connecting to a network.

I did learn something new or rather I want to ask. Can it use the location info from even locked Wifi I don't have connection to. I'm basically wondering if itll say help if I'm going down a random neighborhood which I definitely don't have access to. Like does it use the locked Wifi like GPS to triangulate my location?

From my understanding it uses WiFi telemetry of the surrounding networks. You do not need to be connected. Google gets information like the MAC address of the in-range networks and uses it to figure out where you are. So it may greatly increase your location accuracy in cities but provides little to no benefit where WiFi networks are not as common while you're driving.

Take a look at these two Super User questions for more info: http://superuser.com/q/274017/76029 and http://superuser.com/q/299789/76029
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin M For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th October 2014, 07:30 AM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Nice, nice.

Feature request - disable toll roads by default.

Great mod, thx

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using XDA Free mobile app
15th October 2014, 08:15 AM |#29  
Flag MD
Thanks Meter: 142

More
Saw the XDA vid on YouTube....I'm so glad that I did. Glad to see a local from MD too. Thanks for your contribution to the Android Community! Thank you @Kevin M
The Following User Says Thank You to OnMy2ndGP For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift OnMy2ndGP Ad-Free
15th October 2014, 08:22 AM |#30  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMy2ndGP

Saw the XDA vid on YouTube....I'm so glad that I did. Glad to see a local from MD too. Thanks for your contribution to the Android Community! Thank you @Kevin M

Didn't even see the video on XDA's YouTube channel. That's awesome!
15th October 2014, 08:25 AM |#31  
Flag MD
Thanks Meter: 142

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M

Didn't even see the video on XDA's YouTube channel. That's awesome!

No Map Tips with Google Maps - XDA Xposed Tuesday: http://youtu.be/SVf-aPBa2Rk

Congrats bro!

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
google maps, no map tips, xposed

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)