FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[MOD][XPOSED] Phab7 v1.00 no-reboot UI Switcher

492 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,024

By dolorespark, Senior Member on 27th November 2013, 07:17 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Phab7 is an on-the-fly UI switcher: select Phone, Phablet, or Tablet, then tap the Change button. The switch happens immediately - no reboot needed. A separate option lets you switch settings screen layouts (e.g. the Settings app) between Phone-style (separate screens for categories and details), and Tablet-style (categories and details, side-by-side).

Unlike other solutions, Phab7 has no effect on your apps beyond for their Settings screens. In particular, it will not alter the size or layout of your launcher's icons or dock (nor will it cause the tablet-style app-drawer icon to appear).

Note: Google removed Tablet mode from KitKat, so it is not available if you're running Android 4.4.x.

Installation

Important: if you have a beta version of Phab7 (v0.9x) currently installed, you must uninstall it before installing v1.0. Android will refuse to install it if one of the betas is present.
  • if you don't already have XposedInstaller on your system, see this thread
  • install Phab7.apk the same way you'd install any other sideloaded app
  • enable Phab7 by reopening the XposedInstaller app and selecting 'Modules'
  • tap directly on the checkbox next to Phab7, then back out and reboot
  • after the initial reboot, you can open the Phab7 app and change UIs as many times as you wish without further reboots
Notes
  • Tablet UI mode is only available when running ICS or JB (v4.03 thru 4.3x). While Phab7 supports KitKat, it does not add back the Tablet mode that Google has removed.
  • Whether Phab7 works on your device depends almost entirely on your ROM's creators. If they removed the graphics and layouts needed for a given UI mode, SystemUI.apk is guaranteed to force-close when you select that mode. A "Keep-Or-Cancel" dialog will automatically restore your settings after 12 seconds if this happens when you choose an incompatible UI mode. Clear the "Unfortunately" popup and you're good to go.
  • the Settings-layout feature takes effect when an app is first launched. To see its effect on running apps (e.g. the system's Settings app). tap the "Recents" button and swipe the app away , then reopen the app.
File

Phab7.apk - v1.00

Credits
  • barrmulio - the first to identify the system changes needed to implement alternate UIs
  • _TB_TB_ - author of TabletUI trigger who first realized that UI-switching could be done by an Xposed module
History
2014/01/22 - v1.00 - initial stable release
2014/01/05 - v0.99 - added keep-or-cancel dialog
2013/12/13 - v0.97 - added scaling for all modes
2013/12/10 - v0.96 - fixed KitKat-specific bug
2013/12/09 - v0.95 - added Tablet UI scaling
2013/11/30 - v0.92 - added support for KitKat
2013/11/27 - v0.90 - initial release
The Following 69 Users Say Thank You to dolorespark For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dolorespark Ad-Free

27th November 2013, 08:08 AM |#2  
Account currently disabled
Flag Rotterdam
Thanks Meter: 300

Donate to Me
More
Gonna try it on S4 v4.3

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:02 AM ----------

Ring of FC ;p

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
27th November 2013, 09:24 AM |#3  
Flag Bedford
Thanks Meter: 1,070

Donate to Me
More
Tried it, changes fine to tablet mode. Just a few layout issues. And the nav glow doesn't fade.
See screenshot.
Xperia Z running eXistenZ 4.10 rom.
Subscribed, this looks promising.

Sent from Z Beast
27th November 2013, 10:27 AM |#4  
Flag Kermanshah
Thanks Meter: 36

More
For me with android 4.1 only settings work and status bar and nav bar don t work

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk
27th November 2013, 10:43 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1,500

More
Great job. tested working on CM10. status bar looks monster
it could have better you provided DPI settings along with phab7. though i can manage with app settings
the give attachment is flashable zip i just extracted phab7.apk and installed normally
why this is not available in xposed Repo..
27th November 2013, 10:46 AM |#6  
Flag Bedford
Thanks Meter: 1,070

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by reversegear

why this is not available in xposed Repo..

I think because it's new and in beta

Sent from Z Beast
27th November 2013, 11:26 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 1,170

More
Now we need not wait for updated Paranoid!! OK Paranoid does do some of this stuff better/more consistantly than AppSetting and this module, but ...
Great!

Wanna outdo Paranoid: Tablet mode mostly more usable in landscape, so ... get the idea?

EDIT: Results using the mod on my LG P500 running cm-10.2 with 4,4 Google Now launcher: I can use AppSetting module to force this launcher to rotate but it does not handle this correctly.

Settings UIs work as promised! This is what I really missed not having Paranoid.

Navigation bar: Question -- what if I do not use one (phone has HW buttons--remember those)? Module should accept phone setting.

Anyway, tablet mode: Repeated FCs of systemUI until I changed to other mode:
Phablet mode: Navigation bar shows as promised. Notifications not effected.
Phone mode: No way to correctly test with this launcher.
Went back to default: Icon bar, no navigation bar.

If I remember from Paranoid, tablet mode put notifications bar on the bottom right. Phablet left it on top, opening to half-height, had to change dpi to fit it to screen width correctly. So tablet mode, once working, would either have both at bottom right justified or just the notifications as chosen in the phone's settings! Someone check current Paranoid.
27th November 2013, 01:16 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 77

More
Compatible with KitKat?

Wysłane z mojego Ascend G510 przy użyciu Tapatalka
27th November 2013, 03:21 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Don't flash that zip!
Quote:
Originally Posted by reversegear

the give attachment is flashable zip i just extracted phab7.apk and installed normally

OMG!!!! My apologies! The zip that was posted (in error) was only for the Hisense Sero 7 Pro and contained a tablet-specific mod to SystemUI.apk.

The script in that zip checks for the model, so it should have failed if you tried to flash it on any other device. However, if somehow you succeeded in flashing it, you will have to restore your ROM's original SystemUI.apk. The original, along with SystemUI.odex if present, is in your /system/app folder with '-org' appended to it. If you have problems handling this, I can create an update.zip to do this for you.

Again, my apologies - it was late...
27th November 2013, 04:43 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 10,033

More
This's amazing. Thanks a lot dev. Looking forward for new versions
27th November 2013, 05:08 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeedblack

For me with android 4.1 only settings work and status bar and nav bar don t work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dovidhalevi

tablet mode: Repeated FCs of systemUI until I changed to other mode:
Phablet mode: Navigation bar shows as promised. Notifications not effected.
Phone mode: No way to correctly test with this launcher.

Generally speaking: if "nothing happens", the issue probably lies within Phab7; if SystemUI FCs, then it's probably your ROM.

For Phab7 problems, XposedInstaller's debug.log should identify the problem - you can find it in /data/data/de.robv.android.xposed.installer/log/debug.log. Pull the file and attach it to a posting. For ROM problems, I'd need a logcat log that covers the time period when the FC occurred. If you need help generating one, let me know. (logcat logs for Phab7 issues are certainly welcome too, however, they have to include system startup to be useful.)

For SystemUI FCs, a possible cause is vendor customization of a particular NavBar layout that wasn't carried over to the other versions. The tablet I use is a perfect example. It defaults to Phablet and has a screenshot button (which most everyone hates). The button wasn't implemented for Phone since they assumed it would never be used, so SystemUI FCs in Phone UI when their code goes looking for a button that doesn't exist. To get it to work, I had to patch their systemui.apk to get rid of both the button and the code that references it. This is not something I'd want to try on a device I don't own.

Bottom line: I'd be happy to implement reasonable workarounds to enhance compatibility with the widest range of devices, but even then, not all modes will work with all devices.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
phablet ui, tablet ui, xposed, xposed module

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)