Unlike other solutions, Phab7 has no effect on your apps beyond for their Settings screens. In particular, it will not alter the size or layout of your launcher's icons or dock (nor will it cause the tablet-style app-drawer icon to appear).
Note: Google removed Tablet mode from KitKat, so it is not available if you're running Android 4.4.x.
Important: if you have a beta version of Phab7 (v0.9x) currently installed, you must uninstall it before installing v1.0. Android will refuse to install it if one of the betas is present.
- if you don't already have XposedInstaller on your system, see this thread
- install Phab7.apk the same way you'd install any other sideloaded app
- enable Phab7 by reopening the XposedInstaller app and selecting 'Modules'
- tap directly on the checkbox next to Phab7, then back out and reboot
- after the initial reboot, you can open the Phab7 app and change UIs as many times as you wish without further reboots
- Tablet UI mode is only available when running ICS or JB (v4.03 thru 4.3x). While Phab7 supports KitKat, it does not add back the Tablet mode that Google has removed.
- Whether Phab7 works on your device depends almost entirely on your ROM's creators. If they removed the graphics and layouts needed for a given UI mode, SystemUI.apk is guaranteed to force-close when you select that mode. A "Keep-Or-Cancel" dialog will automatically restore your settings after 12 seconds if this happens when you choose an incompatible UI mode. Clear the "Unfortunately" popup and you're good to go.
- the Settings-layout feature takes effect when an app is first launched. To see its effect on running apps (e.g. the system's Settings app). tap the "Recents" button and swipe the app away , then reopen the app.
Phab7.apk - v1.00
- barrmulio - the first to identify the system changes needed to implement alternate UIs
- _TB_TB_ - author of TabletUI trigger who first realized that UI-switching could be done by an Xposed module
2014/01/22 - v1.00 - initial stable release
2014/01/05 - v0.99 - added keep-or-cancel dialog
2013/12/13 - v0.97 - added scaling for all modes
2013/12/10 - v0.96 - fixed KitKat-specific bug
2013/12/09 - v0.95 - added Tablet UI scaling
2013/11/30 - v0.92 - added support for KitKat
2013/11/27 - v0.90 - initial release