FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[MOD][XPOSED][v1.2] Snapshare - Share images and videos via Snapchat (DISCONTINUED)

123 posts
Thanks Meter: 224
 
By stammler, Senior Member on 11th July 2013, 12:11 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
This thread has been discontinued. For continued development, please go to this thread by amcgavin.

Snapshare

Share images and videos via Snapchat

This Xposed module lets you share any image and portrait video via Snapchat, not only pictures you take with the camera from within Snapchat. When you are viewing an image and click on share, Snapshare will pop up as an option. It will load Snapchat and lets you even paint on the image as if you had just taken it with your camera inside Snapchat. Snapshare will crop your images so they fit into your display.

It uses the Xposed framework to intercept launches of Snapchat from Snapshare and do the magic. Because it uses the Xposed framework, it is device and rom independent

If you find any bugs, please report See the section Troubleshooting/Bugs on Github about which logcat filters would be helpful etc.

Confirmed to work with Snapchat 4.0.05 (2013-10-05)

Installation
  1. Install the awesome Xposed framework on your rooted device.
  2. Install and activate the mod, which you can download from my Bintray site. Don't forget to do a (soft) reboot.

To Do
  • Adding Borders to the image, instead of cropping it, to fit the display area's size. Especially if you want to share, e.g. square Instagram images, this is probably preferable.
  • Check that the video file to share is at most 1 MB in size, as larger files are rejected by the Snapchat server.
  • Clicking on the upper left X should return to the Gallery, not the Snapchat camera. Minor priority

Release Notes
  • 1.2 Proper handling of video deletion.
  • 1.1a Fixed version to work with newest Snapchat version 3.0.4
  • 1.1 Support for sharing videos added.
    - So far only Portrait videos are supported, as Landscape videos are shown scaled down in Portrait mode in the upper half of the screen.
    - Also, if the video is too large, which can happen quickly if recorded with an external app, Snapchat will refuse to send the video. I actually don't even now if you can share any other videos than the ones originally created with Snapchat and saved before sending. Or videos saved by the Keepchat mod.
  • 1.0 First working release. Only image sharing supported.

You can find the sources, technical details, bugs and troubleshooting discussions at my Github repository. This software is released under the GNU GPLv3.

Cheers and enjoy!
The Following 49 Users Say Thank You to stammler For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift stammler Ad-Free
11th July 2013, 07:47 AM |#2  
Member
ohio
Thanks Meter: 9
 
More
Yes.. i thank you soo much!

Edit: didn't work on my device. Note 2 running jbs jellybombed rom. I'll try to get a logcat 2morrow
11th July 2013, 10:01 AM |#3  
pogi1100's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Vancouver, BC
Thanks Meter: 109
 
More
Didnt work on my device either. Just loads snapchat and turns on the camera when i press share.

Working great on International S3 running CM10.1

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
11th July 2013, 01:55 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Frankfurt
Thanks Meter: 224
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pogi1100

Didnt work on my device either. Just loads snapchat and turns on the camera when i press share.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Well, so far my Nexus 4 running ParanoidAndroid is the only device I could test this on, so I'd be happy if you guys could help me getting this to work on your devices/roms. A logcat would be helpful because the app prints a lot of debugging information in the background. Quote from the README on github:
Quote:
Originally Posted by README

If you encounter any problems or bugs with this mod, please open logcat like this

Code:
adb logcat -v time ActivityManager:I Snapshare:D "*:S"
then reproduce the error and report the relevant output (That's why I choose to display the time in logcat's output, I don't wanna have your logcat of the last few days ).

For a start, you could just send me the /data/xposed/debug.log file...
You are surely running the newest Snapchat 3.0.1? Which Android versions are you running?
11th July 2013, 04:50 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 43
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stammler

Well, so far my Nexus 4 running ParanoidAndroid is the only device I could test this on, so I'd be happy if you guys could help me getting this to work on your devices/roms. A logcat would be helpful because the app prints a lot of debugging information in the background. Quote from the README on github:

For a start, you could just send me the /data/xposed/debug.log file...
You are surely running the newest Snapchat 3.0.1? Which Android versions are you running?

Worked perfectly for me. Running latest Snapchat 3.0.1 on my Galaxy S3. Tried from multiple Gallery apps and had no issues at all!
The Following User Says Thank You to coolcapnc For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift coolcapnc Ad-Free
12th July 2013, 02:16 AM |#6  
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 195
 
More
I've been messing around with the Snapchat API and I've found some information that might be helpful:

-the Snapchat server rejects any uploads over 1MB
-images that are too high resolution (regardless of whether or not it is greater than 1MB) will show up as black
-videos from other sources DO work as long as they are < 1MB (tested on a Galaxy Note II, uploaded with my own app, recorded at low quality settings with final size at 940k). I even grabbed a random YouTube video (a jump scare) and sent it as a snap to one of my friends for fun

In addition, I have some other questions. I will PM you with those as they are not as relevant to this thread
12th July 2013, 02:22 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Frankfurt
Thanks Meter: 224
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wchill

I've been messing around with the Snapchat API and I've found some information that might be helpful:

-the Snapchat server rejects any uploads over 1MB
-images that are too high resolution (regardless of whether or not it is greater than 1MB) will show up as black
-videos from other sources DO work as long as they are < 1MB (tested on a Galaxy Note II, uploaded with my own app, recorded at low quality settings with final size at 940k). I even grabbed a random YouTube video (a jump scare) and sent it as a snap to one of my friends for fun

In addition, I have some other questions. I will PM you with those as they are not as relevant to this thread

Thanks for that! The 1 MB limit is very helpful indeed! I might show a Toast message if the video's size is above 1 MB or something like that.
The resolution of the image is no problem, as Snapshare internally crops and scales too large images so that they fit into the DisplayMetrics.widthPixels x DisplayMetrics.heightPixels rectangle.
12th July 2013, 03:11 AM |#8  
Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 195
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stammler

Thanks for that! The 1 MB limit is very helpful indeed! I might show a Toast message if the video's size is above 1 MB or something like that.
The resolution of the image is no problem, as Snapshare internally crops and scales too large images so that they fit into the DisplayMetrics.widthPixels x DisplayMetrics.heightPixels rectangle.

Ah, I just noticed the crop/scale code. I've been using inSampleSize to scale myself
12th July 2013, 05:00 AM |#9  
pogi1100's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Vancouver, BC
Thanks Meter: 109
 
More
Nvm forgot to enable xposed as I just upgraded my ROM. Working marvelously on Temadek's CM10.1 on International S3

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
12th July 2013, 12:46 PM |#10  
Junior Member
Flag Bergen
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Thanks! Working flawless with my nexus 4 on AOKP rom This is awesome!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
12th July 2013, 02:28 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Frankfurt
Thanks Meter: 224
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pogi1100

Nvm forgot to enable xposed as I just upgraded my ROM. Working marvelously on Temadek's CM10.1 on International S3

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

And I even wrote in the Installation notice to do a soft reboot :P Maybe you could edit your first post so ppl scrolling from above see the solution more quickly. thanks!
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread

Tags
mod, share image, snapchat, xposed
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes