FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

XHangouts - The ultimate Google Hangouts extension.

456 posts
Thanks Meter: 781

Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from Kevin M: v2.17 released! Check the first post for changelog.
27th September 2014, 04:24 AM |#11  
Flag Montana
Thanks Meter: 114

Donate to Me
More
Suggestion for implementing.
-Able to set reminders.
My stock Touchwiz messaging has reminders that "renotify" me every 10 minutes, pretty handy for working in loud enviroments.
I've been reluctant to change hangouts to default because of this.

Great work. Keep it up.

Sent from my Verizon NC5 Galaxy S4 w/ GEL and Xposed

27th September 2014, 05:17 AM |#12  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimm0k

Correct! Honestly I consider that area where Enter key belongs on a keyboard... not exactly sure when this changed to smiley faces or soft enter. Quite annoying! Do people usually leave a smiley face after every sentence??

I think it has something to do with duplicating functionality. There's already a dedicated send button, but then again there's already a smiley button... Thanks to inconsistent practices the enter key on Android can mean "send/submit/do/something or next field or new line or smiley" and each keyboard has a different way of showing you what is what. If at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrorist96

"Warning: Your Hangours version differs from the version XHangouts was built against: v2.3.75731955 (22037769)"

-from xposed logs

What's your Hangouts version? I don't have a new version available to me yet so I'm assuming it's older. The version number there displays the version I built the module against. That's just a warning so the module will attempt to load anyway. If you see --- LOAD COMPLETE --- in the logs then it should work.
27th September 2014, 05:21 AM |#13  
Thanks Meter: 106

More
My version is the one listed in that log I quoted above. It does say load complete though, so it should be fine, like you said.
Thanks
29th September 2014, 07:48 AM |#14  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've just pushed out v1.1 which includes a settings page. Sorry for the delay as I had to battle through different possible technical implementations. I've also elevated the project to "stable" considering the lack of bug reports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Release Notes

XHangouts can now be intricately configured in the new settings page! To access it go to the Modules list in the Xposed Installer and tap on the XHangouts module listing. I did not add an entry to the launcher as 1) I don't have a pretty looking icon and 2) who honestly likes Xposed module launcher clutter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffchampmt

-Able to set reminders.
My stock Touchwiz messaging has reminders that "renotify" me every 10 minutes, pretty handy for working in loud enviroments.

Great work. Keep it up.

I like the idea. It would definitely be involved to implement though. When I have the extra time, I'll see what I can find. Another possible approach would be to have a separate app that reads the Android text message database and if there are any new messages it would create a notification every X minutes. Definitely not as robust or seamless as trying to integrate it into Hangouts though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin M For This Useful Post: [ View ]
1st October 2014, 07:13 AM |#15  
Flag Albuquerque, NM
Thanks Meter: 326

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffchampmt

-Able to set reminders.

Great work. Keep it up.

Have you ever used LightFlow? It isn't just for controlling the LED. You can use it to set reminder tones, vibration, repeating alerts (both repeating sound & vibrate separately) and more. The free version should handle Hangouts just fine. The paid version handles tons more apps. I use it to manage about 80% of the notifications on my phone, so I can tell just by the vibration pattern, led color, or sound, what type of message or even the sender plus everything is managed from one place. I just set each app's alert tone to silent and vibrate to off and then use LightFlow to manage the notification.

LightFlow can definitely handle repeat notifications though with different options for clearing them. You can set them to clear at screen on, or phone unlocked, or notification cleared, or app opened. Makes it pretty hard to miss those important notifications. And it has a night mode with a white list too.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but just wanted to point out that there is already a solution that works well for this.

Sent from my brain using human to phone transport technology.
1st October 2014, 08:14 AM |#16  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M

Rotating MMS
I've seen calls to ExifInterface (which reads the orientation exif data we need) within Hangouts so they're trying to do something, but it isn't working. This is just a bug that they haven't fixed yet. Could be waiting for the next public Hangouts release. Or not.

Rotation is necessary because a portrait image taken with your camera isn't always encoded/stored that way. For my phone, it always captures photos in landscape mode (width > height). It differentiates between portrait and landscape photos not by resolution but by an EXIF tag. When I'm holding my phone vertically and I snap a photo all the camera app needs to do is write a different value for the orientation tag. So it does not need to do any additional processing regardless of how I'm holding the phone. Unfortunately, if we do not read this tag when we load in the image, it will be rendered incorrectly, the way the pixels are stored.

Resizing MMS
Carriers, being the greedy bastards that they are, won't let decent quality images float around on their MMSCs. An MMSC is their server infrastructure that receives multimedia messages from subscribers and allows them to be viewed from the recipients. No matter how good looking the image you send to an MMSC, it will compress the ever living hell out of it. With my tests on Verizon, it will resize your image to 640x480 or less and the resulting file will be JPEG at roughly 30 KB. This works ok for photos, but if you're sending anything else prepare to be disappointed. Or confused when your friend tells you he can't read that screenshot.

We can't "fix" the MMSC, but we can send it the highest quality image possible giving them less room to screw it up. Google Hangouts uses the Bitmap.createScaledBitmap Android API to quickly load in a downscaled version of your image. The downscaling algorithm used is so embarrassingly poor I wonder how the API call ever made it into the OS. XHangouts uses a different set of API calls that result in a much higher quality output. By sending it an image looking as good as possible while still resizing close to the final size the MMSC desires, we can make the best of a bad situation.

Screenshots

Xposed: http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.v...mark.xhangouts
GitHub: https://github.com/kmark/XHangouts

XDA:DevDB Information
XHangouts, Xposed for all devices (see above for details)

Contributors
Kevin M
Xposed Package Name: com.versobit.kmark.xhangouts

Version Information
Current Stable Version: v1.1-25002b0
Stable Release Date: 2014-09-29

Created 2014-09-26
Last Updated 2014-09-29

Do u have an mms fix while being on wifi?
1st October 2014, 08:45 AM |#17  
Flag Albuquerque, NM
Thanks Meter: 326

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCross1788

Do u have an mms fix while being on wifi?

Can you elaborate? I can receive MMS on WiFi just fine, as long as I am also connected to the cell network. MMS messages won't download over WiFi, so your phone should automatically download the MMS message over the cell network even when WiFi is on unless you have mobile data disabled, have no cell service, have no SIM card installed or are in airplane mode.

If this isn't happening, it is likely an issue with your device/ROM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ABQNM For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ABQNM Ad-Free
1st October 2014, 06:43 PM |#18  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQNM

Can you elaborate? I can receive MMS on WiFi just fine, as long as I am also connected to the cell network. MMS messages won't download over WiFi, so your phone should automatically download the MMS message over the cell network even when WiFi is on unless you have mobile data disabled, have no cell service, have no SIM card installed or are in airplane mode.

If this isn't happening, it is likely an issue with your device/ROM.

This process is really tricky. The blame can be placed on Hangouts as well, if it's not working over WiFi. Android disables mobile connectivity when connected to WiFi. This means that when Hangouts is sending or receiving MMS it has to manually ask Android to re-enable the mobile data connection, which is generally something no app ever needs to do; Android wants you to rely on it to decide what network is best. This connection has to stay alive for the duration of the MMS transaction regardless of WiFi being toggled or either signal's strength. Lots of room for bugs here. It also needs to "connect" to the MMS APN. This is where the majority of my issues are. A perfectly good APN configuration but receiving APN related errors. Hangouts will be connected to the mobile network (so perfectly able to send/receive MMS) but it won't be "connected" to the MMS APN and will therefore refuse to operate.

This is why I really wish Android had a standard MMS API to avoid this kind of finagling.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevin M For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd October 2014, 06:06 AM |#19  
Flag Montana
Thanks Meter: 114

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin M

This process is really tricky. The blame can be placed on Hangouts as well, if it's not working over WiFi. Android disables mobile connectivity when connected to WiFi. This means that when Hangouts is sending or receiving MMS it has to manually ask Android to re-enable the mobile data connection, which is generally something no app ever needs to do; Android wants you to rely on it to decide what network is best. This connection has to stay alive for the duration of the MMS transaction regardless of WiFi being toggled or either signal's strength. Lots of room for bugs here. It also needs to "connect" to the MMS APN. This is where the majority of my issues are. A perfectly good APN configuration but receiving APN related errors. Hangouts will be connected to the mobile network (so perfectly able to send/receive MMS) but it won't be "connected" to the MMS APN and will therefore refuse to operate.

This is why I really wish Android had a standard MMS API to avoid this kind of finagling.

As a suggestion, Wanam has implemented into some of his Xposed moduals an option to force connection for MMS while on WiFi.

I use Wanam Xposed and it works fine for me.

3rd October 2014, 05:16 AM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 206

More
If you're taking suggestions, I'd be ecstatic to see double-tapping the send button send the message and turn the screen off.

Sent from my OnePlus.
3rd October 2014, 11:02 AM |#21  
OP Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
v1.2-8905918 has just been released. I've also just posted a NoMapTips mod that might be of some use to you gapps users.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Release Notes

Enter key behavior can now be tweaked! Check the settings page. The default action of the keyboard's enter/return key can be switched to one of the following: emoji selector (the default), newline, and send.

New icon by Adrian Babilinski!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimm0k

nice little mod! possible to change the enter key to send instead of a new line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikelangelo

Would you consider adding in a feature to replace the smiley key with a hard return key? Or would that be outside the scope of what you have in plan for the module?

Thanks

These have been added in v1.2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwalburn

If you're taking suggestions, I'd be ecstatic to see double-tapping the send button send the message and turn the screen off.

Sent from my OnePlus.

I'll take a look.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevin M For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
google, hangouts, xposed

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)