FORUMS

[XPOSED] Chrome Color Killer (for default address bar color)

2 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

By irvdijk, Junior Member on 11th February 2016, 08:36 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I quickly got quite annoyed by Chrome's new 'feature' of showing customized address bar colors for certain websites. I simply prefer my address bar (and anything attached to it) to be the same default color as it always was.
As there was no option in chrome to disable this feature, I wrote this tiny Xposed module that intercepts the call to 'getThemeColor' for the chrome tabs and simply returns the default color instead.

Tested on Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505) running CM12.1

// Edit:
As I was not that consistent with my naming scheme, the name in the Xposed repo turned out slightly different: "Chrome toolbar Color Killer"
(For those interested that were unable to find the module)
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to irvdijk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift irvdijk Ad-Free
11th February 2016, 11:33 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
Thanks for this, was annoying me too!

Seems to work fine on my Nexus 5 running 6.0.1
12th February 2016, 03:27 AM |#3  
Flag France
Thanks Meter: 629

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by irvdijk

I quickly got quite annoyed by Chrome's new 'feature' of showing customized address bar colors for certain websites. I simply prefer my address bar (and anything attached to it) to be the same default color as it always was.
As there was no option in chrome to disable this feature, I wrote this tiny Xposed module that intercepts the call to 'getThemeColor' for the chrome tabs and simply returns the default color instead.

Tested on Galaxy S4 (GT-I9505) running CM12.1

// Edit:
As I was not that consistent with my naming scheme, the name in the Xposed repo turned out slightly different: "Chrome toolbar Color Killer"
(For those interested that were unable to find the module)

I'm sorry but you can disable this by tapping chrome://flags/ in your url bar and search for the option to disable
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dead-neM For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Dead-neM Ad-Free
13th February 2016, 12:58 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 23

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-neM

I'm sorry but you can disable this by tapping chrome://flags/ in your url bar and search for the option to disable

I can't see that option in flags. What is it called?
16th February 2016, 07:43 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
i don't see the option in flags either, but maybe i'm missing it?

also I can't get the chromecolorkiller apk to work - i've installed it but headers are still changing color... am i doing something wrong?

thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to louislouis For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift louislouis Ad-Free
22nd February 2016, 11:23 PM |#6  
Flag Bristol
Thanks Meter: 306

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by louislouis

i don't see the option in flags either, but maybe i'm missing it?

also I can't get the chromecolorkiller apk to work - i've installed it but headers are still changing color... am i doing something wrong?

thanks

Same. It worked at first but after a few reboot all is the same as usual
23rd February 2016, 09:05 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 21

More
Same here.
Running today's CM13 nightly (23-02-2016) and Chrome version 48.0.2564.95
Xposed log says this:
02-23 10:00:22.103 E/Xposed ( 6901): java.lang.NoSuchFieldException: No field mDefaultThemeColor in class
2nd March 2016, 01:11 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 201

More
does it support any chrome builds and derivatives? beta/dev/chromium/caf
6th April 2016, 01:48 PM |#9  
Flag Bratislava
Thanks Meter: 140

More
hey man, it's just an idea for you, but could you make this work the other way round too? i mean, forcing chrome to tint the bar of a webpage in a certain color.. it could be a pro feature so you could make some cash i'm no programmer so i don't know the technical difficulties behind this but it sure would be awesome
9th April 2016, 03:12 AM |#10  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 10

More
Sorry guys for not replying any sooner, but I've been crazy busy at work
Also, I got myself a new phone which remains unrooted for now, so any of the issues that may occur with the Xposed module I cannot reproduce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by an0therus3r

Same here.
Running today's CM13 nightly (23-02-2016) and Chrome version 48.0.2564.95
Xposed logsays this:
02-23 10:00:22.103 E/Xposed ( 6901): java.lang.NoSuchFieldException: No field mDefaultThemeColor in class

From your log I assume that Chrome has moved some internals around since I built this module. Perhaps someone would be interested in picking things up and figure out what to tap into to disable this annoying feature once more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OT-Xtreme

does it support any chrome builds and derivatives? beta/dev/chromium/caf

Would not be able to say this for certain, but my first guess would be No. Apparently chrome itself also became incompatible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaglad

hey man, it's just an idea for you, but could you make this work the other way round too? i mean, forcing chrome to tint the bar of a webpage in a certain color.. it could be a pro feature so you could make some cash i'm no programmer so i don't know the technical difficulties behind this but it sure would be awesome

Sounds like a great idea! Though that is one hell of a lot more complicated than what I was aiming for. I would be happy to share the code I have with anyone who might be interested in fixing / updating stuff. Maybe they could also figure out a way to include your idea.

For now I won't be working on this module anymore, but if someone would be interested in the source code, just let me know. There's probably a way I can share it...
The Following User Says Thank You to irvdijk For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift irvdijk Ad-Free
25th May 2016, 06:27 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
A simpler idea is to make the bar always default to a color, for example black. Coupled with chromium night mode it would be the ultimate night browsing experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to eragonshurtugal For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift eragonshurtugal Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)