Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from M66B: XPrivacy has been succeeded by XPrivacyLua
16th June 2013, 06:50 PM |#101  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 34,173

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by famewolf

Since you can now export settings AND you have a pro key file have you considered creating a XPrivacy subdir off root folder of sd card and keeping everything in there? Eventually you might add other files etc to the folder without cluttering the root of the sd card up. Backups could be modded to just backup the whole dir which would also potentially keep backups of the person's keyfile.

I thought of some of this because I have a Nexus 4 and in their infinite wisdom they decided if you ever flash a factory rom image it wipes everything and since the sdcard is one large shared area with system etc it also gets wiped....custom rom's with CWM or other recovery mechanism's don't do this obviously but it bit me when I was upgrading my phone to 4.2.2 and the automated download/upgrade failed requiring me to download the whole image and full reset to factory.

Good suggestion, please create an issue for it.
Nevertheless I don't think there will be anything more than the license and the export.
Th export can always be created again and the license is sent by e-mail (so there will probably be a backup).
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]

16th June 2013, 06:57 PM |#102  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:

What made you decide to create xprivacy? I ask because if you ever browse tungstwenty's app settings thread you'd find a post from me asking him about whether app settings could be used to basically do EXACTLY what you created....it was almost like the app was custom written just for me......xprivacy has a marked advantage over pdroid via using xposed by not requiring the kernel to be patched every time it's updated or the rom is updated.

I always included (Open)PDroid in my custom ROMs, but there is no recent PDroid available for CM10 anymore (there is still no stable CM10.1 release for SE Xperia 2011 devices) and OpenPDroid development seemed to be halted (it looks like to be resumed again now). Furthermore (Open)PDroid does have too many bugs IMHO that take too long to be fixed (I have fixed some myself to get my custom ROM working). Also (Open)PDroid for stock ROMs has always been a problem.

I am not aware of @Tungstwenty app settings thread, I will look into it.
16th June 2013, 07:46 PM |#103  
Thanks Meter: 1,299

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

I always included (Open)PDroid in my custom ROMs, but there is no recent PDroid available for CM10 anymore (there is still no stable CM10.1 release for SE Xperia 2011 devices) and OpenPDroid development seemed to be halted (it looks like to be resumed again now). Furthermore (Open)PDroid does have too many bugs IMHO that take too long to be fixed (I have fixed some myself to get my custom ROM working). Also (Open)PDroid for stock ROMs has always been a problem.

I am not aware of @Tungstwenty app settings thread, I will look into it.

The thread and post I was referring to from back on April 11: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=972

Is rules to allow you to enable/disable access to 2g/3g/wifi worth creating another issue? I could see where you might want to restrict apps with large data requirements to only download when on wifi....or force apps to use 2g instead of faster but capped 3g/.4g speeds.

I can also see where being able to specify a specific location to apps that only run in the usa or only run outside the usa might be of use.....currently tungstwenty's app settings module allows some of that although certain apps still manage to get the real location...his app also allows per app dpi..forcing tablet mode and more if you haven't checked it out. It makes a decent "companion" to xprivacy for controlling app specific settings.
16th June 2013, 08:35 PM |#104  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:

The thread and post I was referring to from back on April 11: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=972

Did I understand correctly that this mod revokes permissions?
XPrivacy doesn't do that, which is a difference (except for internet storage).

Quote:

Is rules to allow you to enable/disable access to 2g/3g/wifi worth creating another issue? I could see where you might want to restrict apps with large data requirements to only download when on wifi....or force apps to use 2g instead of faster but capped 3g/.4g speeds.

This cannot be done using the Xposed framework.
You will have to use a firewall app, like AFWall+.

Quote:

I can also see where being able to specify a specific location to apps that only run in the usa or only run outside the usa might be of use.....currently tungstwenty's app settings module allows some of that although certain apps still manage to get the real location...his app also allows per app dpi..forcing tablet mode and more if you haven't checked it out. It makes a decent "companion" to xprivacy for controlling app specific settings.

Please make an issue for setting a location (region).
16th June 2013, 08:56 PM |#105  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:

Could you please try if the just uploaded beta version 0.16 solves this problem?
This version has no XPrivacy button in manage apps anymore, but has an own app list.
Swip left/right to switch between the app and category list.

I am sorry to say that I still have the same issues with the latest version as I had before..

Something strange happened when I was restricting some apps was that from out of no where "google backup transport (1000)" popped up and had all the options checked. I disregared as a bug or something similar it but it could have something to do with the problems I am encountering.
16th June 2013, 09:08 PM |#106  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzZn0

I am sorry to say that I still have the same issues with the latest version as I had before..

Something strange happened when I was restricting some apps was that from out of no where "google backup transport (1000)" popped up and had all the options checked. I disregared as a bug or something similar it but it could have something to do with the problems I am encountering.

I can't remember what your problem was, can you write it down again? Was there an issue for your problem on GitHub? Else please create one, so I can track it. Here in the forum it will soon be burried under a lot of other messages.

The popup for Google backup (and maybe other system apps) will be fixed in the next release (will only popup in expert mode). Restricting system apps can lead to all kind of problems, unless you exactly know what you are doing.

My advice: reset all XPrivacy settings (see the FAQ for how to).
16th June 2013, 09:23 PM |#107  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:

I can't remember what your problem was, can you write it down again? Was there an issue for your problem on GitHub? Else please create one, so I can track it. Here in the forum it will soon be burried under a lot of other messages.

The popup for Google backup (and maybe other system apps) will be fixed in the next release (will only popup in expert mode). Restricting system apps can lead to all kind of problems, unless you exactly know what you are doing.

My advice: reset all XPrivacy settings (see the FAQ for how to).

Oh, I'm sorry. I was just thinking if I have written down the problems in my new post..

The problem is that if I have xprivacy activated I can't find any apps when I go to setting-apps it says "no apps" and I can't log in to my google account on the phone. When I try to do it through settings I get a "This account is already active for the device" but I can't access my email nor anything else I have on my google account.

And I also experience that my phone is much more sluggish with xprivacy than without. I have an samsung galaxy s2 (i9100) and I am using a custom ROM called Revolt 4.3
16th June 2013, 09:34 PM |#108  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Did I understand correctly that this mod revokes permissions?
XPrivacy doesn't do that, which is a difference (except for internet storage).

Please make an issue for setting a location (region).

Yes...among other things his app does allow to revoke permissions as opposed to spoofing the data.....and I agree spoofing the data is safer as it prevents programs from abends due to unexpected results because they expect the permission to be there. I'll create an issue for the region setting.
16th June 2013, 09:55 PM |#109  
Thanks Meter: 4,550

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Yes...among other things his app does allow to revoke permissions as opposed to spoofing the data.....and I agree spoofing the data is safer as it prevents programs from abends due to unexpected results because they expect the permission to be there. I'll create an issue for the region setting.

Exactly, AppSettings' approach is much more primitive and very likely to cause FCs if the app is not robust enough to deal with failures when calling this it is expected to call, given the permissions it declares to need (which AppSettings revokes). With XPrivacy, the app won't even know it has been intercepted as a "regular" (fake) result is retrieved.

As for the region settings, AppSettings just changes the default Locale so that you can see specific apps with resources for a language other than the system's default. At least that's the primary goal.
I doubt that it will be enough to make apps that rely on your region to let you purchase things or not (e.g. Play store), as it's essentially the same as setting up your phone in one language or another - that won't grant you the possibility of buying different things.
I also don't know if faking GPS or coarse coordinates will achieve that as well, as those restrictions might be based on the IP address you're using, in which case a proxy is required.
16th June 2013, 10:06 PM |#110  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungstwenty

Exactly, AppSettings' approach is much more primitive and very likely to cause FCs if the app is not robust enough to deal with failures when calling this it is expected to call, given the permissions it declares to need (which AppSettings revokes). With XPrivacy, the app won't even know it has been intercepted as a "regular" (fake) result is retrieved.

As for the region settings, AppSettings just changes the default Locale so that you can see specific apps with resources for a language other than the system's default. At least that's the primary goal.
I doubt that it will be enough to make apps that rely on your region to let you purchase things or not (e.g. Play store), as it's essentially the same as setting up your phone in one language or another - that won't grant you the possibility of buying different things.
I also don't know if faking GPS or coarse coordinates will achieve that as well, as those restrictions might be based on the IP address you're using, in which case a proxy is required.

The two examples I can think of off the top of my head are:

Amazon app of the day -- Only for people in the USA

"appoftheday" app can only be installed from google play by people outside the USA.....and I was only able to locate an apk that uses italian language by default..have not managed to get it into english but I'm getting good and "reading" italian to figure out if the free app is worth going to google play to grab.

Oh and of course Pandora which only works for folks in the usa.....
17th June 2013, 12:36 AM |#111  
Thanks Meter: 252

More
Quote:

The two examples I can think of off the top of my head are:

Amazon app of the day -- Only for people in the USA

"appoftheday" app can only be installed from google play by people outside the USA.....and I was only able to locate an apk that uses italian language by default..have not managed to get it into english but I'm getting good and "reading" italian to figure out if the free app is worth going to google play to grab.

Oh and of course Pandora which only works for folks in the usa.....

I'm in the UK and have Amazon app store and can get app of the day for free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
privacy, xposed, xprivacy

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)