Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from M66B: XPrivacy has been succeeded by XPrivacyLua
30th October 2017, 07:10 PM |#18301  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 167

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droidphilev

This thread is kept open so that excisting users can help each other. There is no need to close it at all!!!!

Thank you for your reasonable explanation, without the insult.

30th October 2017, 08:07 PM |#18302  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 33,212

More
Quote:

This thread is kept open so that excisting users can help each other. There is no need to close it at all!!!!

There is a limit on the number of non constructive comments I will tolerate though. Today was not a very good day in any case.
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th October 2017, 08:15 PM |#18303  
Thanks Meter: 1,184

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

There is a limit on the number of non constructive comments I will tolerate though. Today was not a very good day in any case.

Please please think about the users. You can't blame them for things that some say.
30th October 2017, 08:22 PM |#18304  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:

Please please think about the users. You can't blame them for things that some say.

I do and I know, but if this thread is filled with uselessness only, I will close it. I take my responsibilities serious, so I will keep watching this.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st October 2017, 12:25 AM |#18305  
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter: 167

More
Technical Topic
Please relax everyone, only here to ask/discuss a legitimate technical topic about XPrivacy.

If anyone is familiar with developing apps on top of a framwork/api would know fragmentation and incompatibility is far less severe because the changes are made under the hood of the framework itself and will not impact the codes written against it. In worst cases minor changes is expected. Any obsolete classes and methods would be marked so the developers would know not to use them in new codes but existing codes continue to work.

Android, technically, is a framework plus a GUI management. It follows the same rules as a framework to avoid breaking legacy codes. Having said that, Xposed 88.x version will still have the exact classes and methods were used in prior versions, if not more. Since Android 6.0+ introduced a drastic change to its runtime layer, as we all know, it broke the xposed framework. Not surprising at all. The majority of Xposed framwork from a module developer's point of view is the same. This is where the strength of a framework is. This doesn't mean all modules should work on Xposed 88.x, specially a module such as XPrivacy that intends to interact with Android's core systems via Xposed Framework. But it doesn't mean the entire XPrivacy needs to be rewritten either.

Most modules I have tried that were written in early days of Xposed Framework they simply don't work. No boot loops and no dialogue errors messages either. They simply don't function. For instance, an Android's method from a given class is no longer there or the return data was changed. I would be surprised, If all xposed modules were broken by Xposed 88.x. All modules that have been actively in development prior to v88.x still work in v88.x.

Because I can guess one possible answer to my own question I found it necessary to make my opinion known beforehand. XPrivacy is a type app can potentially cause the user to reinstall the phone's firmware if they don't know or can't disable/uninstall the XPosed framework. The power of XPrivacy is both blessing and damaging. The entire risks are on the users. I repeat this again, XPrivacy, rightfully, cannot be held responsible if you had to reinstall your firmware after installing it. It had happened to me, more than once, when XPrivacy was in v2.x and I wasn't experienced in using it. There is no other explanation, "you" take all the risks and the developer of XPrivacy made it very clear about it.

I know, as matter of a fact, someone known to most, whom I shall not name, already using XPrivacy on Nougat with no issues. I'm "guessing" this known person simply removed the code in place, in XPrivacy, that checks aganist the XPosed framework version and perhaps applied some minor changes before got it working.

I would like to know, why wouldn't XPrivacy run after it checked the XPosed framework version? Is the algorithm in-place in compiled version also exists in the source-code released to the public? If so, can I get a quick pointer (URL) to it please?

Obviously ART runtime is not the issue here since I'm on ART Android 5.0 (Perhaps ART is not fully implemented) with no problems and the latest XPrivacy Version was compiled before XPosed v87 for Android 5.0, if I am not mistaking. This is why in my mind I keep asking myself why XPrivacy refuses to launch after a check in place?
The Following User Says Thank You to xdav20 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift xdav20 Ad-Free
31st October 2017, 05:31 AM |#18306  
Thanks Meter: 724

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdav20

I would like to know, why wouldn't XPrivacy run after it checked the XPosed framework version? Is the algorithm in-place in compiled version also exists in the source-code released to the public? If so, can I get a quick pointer (URL) to it please?

Obviously ART runtime is not the issue here since I'm on ART Android 5.0 (Perhaps ART is not fully implemented) with no problems and the latest XPrivacy Version was compiled before XPosed v87 for Android 5.0, if I am not mistaking. This is why in my mind I keep asking myself why XPrivacy refuses to launch after a check in place?

XPrivacy is open source. The reason why M66B says that XPrivacy is not compatible with Android N is simply because it has not been optimized and tested to be fully compatible with Android N... or Android M, for that matter.
31st October 2017, 08:18 AM |#18307  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdav20

XPrivacy requires a minimum, now quite old, Xposed version, that is all. It looks like you assume something else, which is incorrect.

The Android APIs might be stable, but Google adds hundreds and sometimes thousands of new APIs with each Android version, including lots of APIs which can leak personal information. Also, stable APIs do not mean that Android is the same on the inside, on the contrary. XPrivacy hooks many functions on the inside, so you cannot say that if the APIs stay the same, XPrivacy will keep working. There are more than a few GitHub issues showing this.

The bottom line is, and the reason why I am commenting again, that XPrivacy will not protect your privacy properly on anything beyond Android Lollipop, because the last big update for XPrivacy was for this Android version.

Edit: my privacy advice: install reliable, preferably open source apps (don't forget to reward the author in some way, which could be a simple "thank you"), avoid social media/chat apps and use a firewall app to manage outgoing traffic. Avoid any closed source root solutions and lock your bootloader. Since Android is closely linked to Google: review your Google privacy settings. I know this is not ideal, but this is just how it is now.
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st October 2017, 02:44 PM |#18308  
Forum Moderator
¤No Man's Land¤
Thanks Meter: 5,380

More
Thumbs up Member Conduct/Thread
sorry i am going to sound rude now for sure, but thought of addressing few of the debated questions

Member Conduct
a) If user x & y are having a debate/argument either of them are welcome to report if one crosses the line
b) Please don't take sides and make it more worse let those two respond and report if they have issues
c) if the op doesn't request a clean up off topic and useless post then its left there unless there is a abuse or something very offensive
d) constructive debate and disagreements are bound to happen and we all have freedom of opinion and to be civil ( no name callings)
e) Moderators don't police the forums we are here to mediate with users and help them with things which they cannot.
f) There are few threads we actively clean up even before reports but that is due to OP's request.

Thread:-
a) The op can leave the thread open as long as he/she wants without updating if they feel like and i don't think anyone else has a say on it
b) Don't pester or push devs for ETA or updates if they want they will if not they won't and if you really want it still please use the guides available here in XDA to do so by yourself
c) If you think an OP isn't being genuine or supporting the app you are free to move on.

I hope all the above would stop further confusions and off topic. Rest is up to OP's decision.

Thanks
XDA Staff.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to SacredDeviL666 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SacredDeviL666 Ad-Free
31st October 2017, 05:47 PM |#18309  
OP Recognized Developer

More
I am planning to close this XDA thread and to close down the GitHub issues (which will make them disappear, blame GitHub for not having a read only mode). Anyone can open a new thread and resume XPrivacy development if desired.
31st October 2017, 06:19 PM |#18310  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:

Please, can't you just blame this one guy instead of closing this thread and close Github issues?????????? Do wel all need to be punished for the atitude of 1 person???

And to xdav20: stop using "we". Speak for yourself.

I only see non constructive comments, so what is the point in keeping this thread open?
31st October 2017, 06:22 PM |#18311  
Thanks Meter: 1,184

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

I only see non constructive comments, so what is the point in keeping this thread open?

I fully fully fully understand that these attacks make you angry. I am also. But if you do close it then you blame the wrong people. There can always be normal questions in the future.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
privacy, xposed, xprivacy

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)