Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from M66B: XPrivacy has been succeeded by XPrivacyLua
8th March 2019, 07:07 PM |#18741  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 34,173

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileanimal

That's understandable regarding stability and performance for the general masses. The limitation is not really a limitation in using Lua, just the design of the app?
I just want to make sure my point gets across to the user base that understands privacy and security about the benefits that were achieved by XPrivacy up thorough Android 5, where some of the potential exposure and risk is with Android, and how some limited knowledgeable users used them to protect themselves and monitor what their apps are doing with ease.
I do really appreciate your work XPrivacy and XPrivacyLUA!

The "limitation" is a design choice. If something not worked in XPrivacy, it could bring down the entire system and you couldn't do anything about it. If something is not working in XPrivacyLua, it can only bring down an app and you have the possibility to disable the faulty restriction for the app. In other words: all restrictions in XPrivacy were always executed, but in XPrivacyLua only enabled restrictions are executed, which is also causing the performance difference. Another thing is that XPrivacyLua will report any problems in the (Lua) hook definitions, so if you don't get error notifications, you can be pretty sure everything works (and is a great help while developing hook definitions).

Related is that in XPrivacy restriction were selected by uid and in XPrivacyLua by app, which makes a big difference when apps are bundled under the same uid, which is typically the case with system apps. In XPrivacy you could only restrict all system apps, in XPrivacyLua you can restrict only one system app.

Summarized, it is just a different approach with other advantages and disadvantages.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]

31st March 2019, 05:49 PM |#18742  
OP Recognized Developer

More
With the release of Android Q, planned in Q3 2019, XPrivacy will be retired, which means support will be ended and this thread will be closed.

You are advised to switch to XPrivacyLua, which is available for Android 6 Marshmallow and later.
31st March 2019, 06:04 PM |#18743  
Flag Amsterdam
Thanks Meter: 25

More
But my Galaxy Note original doesn't "support" Android "Q", or 5 or whatever. It won't go higher than 4.1.2, which actually works just fine for me.

So am I now to be left with my privacy unprotected?

I don't need "support", I just want XPrivacy to keep working on my device. Will it?
31st March 2019, 06:06 PM |#18744  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by syncopath

But my Galaxy Note original doesn't support Android "Q", or 5 or whatever. It won't go higher than 4.1.2, which actually works just fine for me.

So am I now to be left with my privacy unprotected?

I don't need "support", I just want XPrivacy to keep working on my device. Will it?

You can keep using XPrivacy, but it won't be supported anymore.
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th April 2019, 08:10 PM |#18745  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

You can keep using XPrivacy, but it won't be supported anymore.

Please send me true link xposed for my device
Samsung galaxy grand prime sm-G531H
27th April 2019, 08:11 PM |#18746  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entehaye Khat1

Please send me true link xposed for my device
Samsung galaxy grand prime sm-G531H

https://forum.xda-developers.com/xposed/

Edit: your device will likely have Android 5 Lollipop.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
privacy, xposed, xprivacy

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)