Thanks Meter: 34,172

By M66B, Recognized Developer on 12th June 2013, 10:04 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Announcement from M66B: XPrivacy has been succeeded by XPrivacyLua
13th December 2013, 08:48 PM |#5001  
Thanks Meter: 91

More
@SetterStan @kaizokan-

Thank you, I disabled the enforce on internet section -- Still no luck then I disabled on Network section while Internet disabled. It worked.

It seems required 2 components Internet and Network section (disable enforce) to get it work properly on Amazon appstore. I looked the Network section has no pink highlight inside except Internet does have 3 pink highlight. I find this very odd maybe bugs?

Again thank you a million!!

PS. @SetterStan- The link you gave me and it is not that one (It's amazon shopping app). Here the appstore (This is the one Amazon Android appstore) link http://www.amazon.com/getappstore

13th December 2013, 08:53 PM |#5002  
Thanks Meter: 44

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by an0n981

Which Google app? I have Phone ID restricted for all Google apps.

Same here...for all google apps the entire phone section is restricted in XPrivacy. No force closes and no unsuspected behaviour.
Have it running like this for since I been using XPrivacy (since version 9.25 or 9.27 or so). I'm sure I would have noticed it by now if I wasn't supposed to restrict it.
13th December 2013, 09:05 PM |#5003  
Thanks Meter: 169

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SetterStan

Same here...for all google apps the entire phone section is restricted in XPrivacy. No force closes and no unsuspected behaviour.
Have it running like this for since I been using XPrivacy (since version 9.25 or 9.27 or so). I'm sure I would have noticed it by now if I wasn't supposed to restrict it.

for google play store to work i needed to allow getSubscriberId in phone category. it is possible that this is only needed the first time.
and besides the plays store these two apps also have some permissions allowed i see:
phone (7 permissions) I must have once needed those i guess..
messaging app (3 permissions) the same for messaging app.
13th December 2013, 09:19 PM |#5004  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by leijonasisu

Secondly, when fetching rules for apps and then allowing the app to mandate them, almost every single app I am using Force Closes upon opening, so almost everything requires constant tweaking. Even after 2 days I am still having issues with some widgets not loading properly, other apps have required reinstalling or removing all relevant data related to the app. Due to the sheer amount of options in what to block and not per specific app it is almost impossible to narrow down what blocked permission is causing an instant force close. Also certain system apps like my Camera fail to run and Force Close if I have XPrivacy installed, and I chose to have XPrivacy not remotely interact with any of my system .apk files at all. Removing XPrivacy immediately stops anything from Force Closing and all apps behave like normal.

I guess in the long run it's also a huge placebo because all of these apps probably have all of my data saved and sold to whatever third-parties they want any way because I've been using them for years.

At the moment I'm pretty disappointed, mostly on the 'fetched settings' and I don't recommend anyone to fetch any settings at all. In fact, I don't recommend this app at all at this point, which is really sad because maybe if I knew how to use it better, or if I had a billion hours and nothing else better to do I could find the proper perfect settings for my apps so I could still use them and my phone (and stop from having Force Closes and Random Reboots due to BNR apps crashing and closing all the time). Most things close and crash so fast I can't even read the error prompts too.

I have a feeling that this is probably the best thing to ever come to smartphones but due to the way .apks are written or my lack of knowledge on the subject, that this is causing headaches rather than peace-of-mind.

As other members here have already pointed out. If you follow some basic rules of not restricting certain high risk settings and work from there I think you will quickly get the hang of it.

XPrivacy is not something which you just install, then fetch some restrictions and you're good to go.

I have the same experience as @vibes340

When I first started with XPrivacy,...then true...it is a little bit overwhelming to see so many things you can restrict but with time you quickly get used to it and also get pretty aware of what you should or shouldn't restrict to reduce FC or eliminate them permanently.

As written earlier by vibes340

identification = proc
internet = if fail, uncheck use firewall
storage = everything for me, if allow
shell = load and load library

And I would go a bit further

identifcation : proc (95% of my apps have this restricted)
internet
Most my apps which require internet permission work with only these unrestricted
getActiveNetworkInfo
getAllByName
getNetworkInfo
getState
inet
IsConnected
isConnectedOrConnecting

storage
True, most of the times all unrestricted. Some apps can work with them all restricted and some apps even give a notice if they can't see the SD card and don't FC. But then again, most apps also FC if they need those permissions

shell
load and load library

I suggest if you want a quick way of editing all your apps then for starters use a template...uncheck internet, storage and shell
Then apply the template to all your user apps.
Try and work with the filters and the template together.

When you for instance are restricting apps that don't have internet permission then just customize your template to just have storage and shell unchecked and apply that template to all those apps. When using filters and categories filter you can really quickly edit all your apps.

Be a little more careful with system applications though...however, if you don't fiddle too much with the ANDROID SYSTEM, SYSTEM UI and some of your PHONE system apps I don't think you can do much wrong

If you do get some FC and cannot solve it then just post here and write which apps you have trouble with and I will post my settings...if I should happen to have the app installed that is.

Good luck...don't get disappointed, try to take the time to learn this program and don't expect miracles on the first few days of usage. That just isn't realistic thinking. I see you are rooted so I suppose you also took your time to get the info you needed to make sure you reduced the change of bricking your phone. I suggest you spend atleast the same time to using XPrivacy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SetterStan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift SetterStan Ad-Free
13th December 2013, 09:20 PM |#5005  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrootz

@SetterStan @kaizokan-

Thank you, I disabled the enforce on internet section -- Still no luck then I disabled on Network section while Internet disabled. It worked.

It seems required 2 components Internet and Network section (disable enforce) to get it work properly on Amazon appstore. I looked the Network section has no pink highlight inside except Internet does have 3 pink highlight. I find this very odd maybe bugs?

Again thank you a million!!

PS. @SetterStan- The link you gave me and it is not that one (It's amazon shopping app). Here the appstore (This is the one Amazon Android appstore) link http://www.amazon.com/getappstore

Yes some apps need to also have one permission allowed in the network category thats why i had wrote the network in italic type.
Whatsapp is one of them. Maybe this permission should also be marked dangerous if it causes force closes or is always needed, i see that only apps that need it, have that permission, if its not necessary they don't have it. This is what i noticed, need confirmation in case marking is considered
13th December 2013, 09:22 PM |#5006  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 34,172

More
I am trying to learn from the critical notes:
  • I have added a new question to the FAQ about force closing applications. Does anybody has suggestions to improve the answer?
  • Maybe not all fetched restrictions should be applied, for example when the number of 'deny' and 'allow' votes are close together and/or when there are only a few votes. Does anybody with statistical knowledge has a suggestion for a formula, given that the number of 'deny' and 'allow' votes are known? For example something based on a confidence interval? It would be nice when there was a simple to understand setting to select which votes to accept or not to accept.
13th December 2013, 09:23 PM |#5007  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizokan

for google play store to work i needed to allow getSubscriberId in phone category. it is possible that this is only needed the first time.
and besides the plays store these two apps also have some permissions allowed i see:
phone (7 permissions) I must have once needed those i guess..
messaging app (3 permissions) the same for messaging app.

Remember what Marcel wrote on his Github page...data usage does not mean it really needs it or will FC if you do restrict it.
I see data usage at various items in the phone section for the playstore but they are all restricted and play store doesn't seem to mind. With me there are 8 permissions with data usage but I have them all restricted and/or fed with fake data
13th December 2013, 09:33 PM |#5008  

More
Quote:

Remember what Marcel wrote on his Github page...data usage does not mean it really needs it or will FC if you do restrict it.
I see data usage at various items in the phone section for the playstore but they are all restricted and play store doesn't seem to mind. With me there are 8 permissions with data usage but I have them all restricted and/or fed with fake data

I know, i never said that i allowed those because of usage data. almost all my app have restriction for usage data blocked if not needed.
it's just that with the phone app and message app i have a few permission unrestricted. Don't ask me why i'm sure i had a reason for the messaging app but the phone app i just can't remember (will need to look at it later)
13th December 2013, 09:42 PM |#5009  

More
Marcel,

I have found a small bug in the latest version since you introduced the green, orange and gray bars.

I just don't know how to reproduce it but I do sorta know when it mostly happens...and that is after I have updated an app and after I submitted restrictions.

The following happens sometimes...you know the two blue bars which are shown below the filters 'categories' and 'Filters:'

On my phone, they sometimes turn green or orange...sometimes both of them are green, sometimes one blue, the other green.

I don't know if anyone else had this happen to them?
I am using the black theme...but when I try switching to the white theme they stay the same, either green or orange.

Something seems to be messing up the styles and those blue bars seem to inherit the color of the last submitted or fetched app.

Once I go out Xprivacy a couple of times and click the filters a couple times it goes away and they turn blue again.

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaizokan

I know, i never said that i allowed those because of usage data. almost all my app have restriction for usage data blocked if not needed.
it's just that with the phone app and message app i have a few permission unrestricted. Don't ask me why i'm sure i had a reason for the messaging app but the phone app i just can't remember (will need to look at it later)

The SMS messaging app and the phone app itself I think it's logical I shouldn't tinker too much with that particular section.

Not saying it shouldn't be possible to fine tune some things but it would be like restricting everything under the category 'contacts' for the contacts storage app...and so on for other obvious apps.
13th December 2013, 09:53 PM |#5010  
Thanks Meter: 41

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

I am trying to learn from the critical notes:[LIST][*]I have added a new question to the FAQ about force closing applications. Does anybody has suggestions to improve the answer?

Sometimes when a app fc, no data shows up. So no data to look at.
13th December 2013, 09:57 PM |#5011  

More
Quote:

Marcel,

I have found a small bug in the latest version since you introduced the green, orange and gray bars.

I just don't know how to reproduce it but I do sorta know when it mostly happens...and that is after I have updated an app and after I submitted restrictions.

The following happens sometimes...you know the two blue bars which are shown below the filters 'categories' and 'Filters:'

On my phone, they sometimes turn green or orange...sometimes both of them are green, sometimes one blue, the other green.

I don't know if anyone else had this happen to them?
I am using the black theme...but when I try switching to the white theme they stay the same, either green or orange.

Something seems to be messing up the styles and those blue bars seem to inherit the color of the last submitted or fetched app.

Once I go out Xprivacy a couple of times and click the filters a couple times it goes away and they turn blue again. [COLOR="Silver"]

I had this too with previous version
Quote:

from github
I found a glitch which i cannot reproduce.
After opening XPrivacy the filter tab had green color instead of no bar or gray bar. After selecting the filter tab it was gone.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
privacy, xposed, xprivacy

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)