Post Reply Email Thread
21st January 2018, 06:39 PM |#1001  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 45,518

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by badabing2003

Marcel,

Could Restricting Read network data cause an app into temporarily thinking that there is no network connection?
I'm asking because for the Spotify App, I have restricted everything except Read Identifiers, (If I block Read Identifiers, the app keeps me logged-out, I suppose they use device_id as part of the authentication, which makes sense).
The only restrictions that I see timestamp are Get application and Read network data.
When I connect the phone to the Car, where Android Auto is available, and connect to Spotify, the App temporarily displays that I need to login, but then logs me in properly.
That is why I'm asking if restricting Read network data can fool the app into briefly thinking that there is no network.

Again, not an issue, I'm just mentioning it to be thorough.

Thanks
BB

Maybe, this hook is responsible for that:
https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacyLua/...oks.json#L1074

Related documentation:
https://developer.android.com/refere...getExtraInfo()
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st January 2018, 06:58 PM |#1002  
Thanks Meter: 9

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

Everybody who donated 10 euros or more for XPrivacyLua can request a copy of the XPrivacyLua Pro companion app for installation outside of the Google Play store by replying to the donation "thank you" e-mail.

For people who already installed the pro companion app this way: please download the pro companion app again to update it to the latest version, which will check for updates automatically now.

Thats great!
I sent you 10€ on 6.1.2018 and received the PayPal confirmation mail. Do you mean this mail to replay to, I did not received any other "thank you" mail.
21st January 2018, 07:01 PM |#1003  
Thanks Meter: 81

More
Quote:

Maybe, this hook is responsible for that:
https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacyLua/...oks.json#L1074

Related documentation:
https://developer.android.com/refere...getExtraInfo()

Thanks
That would be silly on the Spotify's part, null is a possible valid return.
In any case, nothing big.

I'm also using AFWall+, which blocks LAN access to Spotify, and I do see a toast from AFWall+ that it blocked LAN access.
If Network Data is faked or returned null, how is Spotify figuring out how to access LAN which AFWall+ is trapping?

Thanks
BB
21st January 2018, 07:12 PM |#1004  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by umpalumpa1799

Thats great!
I sent you 10€ on 6.1.2018 and received the PayPal confirmation mail. Do you mean this mail to replay to, I did not received any other "thank you" mail.

I do not mean the message from PayPal, but the message coming from the domain faircode.eu.
When in doubt, please contact me through this contact form, filling in your PayPal e-mail address: https://contact.faircode.eu/
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st January 2018, 07:14 PM |#1005  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:

Thanks
That would be silly on the Spotify's part, null is a possible valid return.
In any case, nothing big.

I'm also using AFWall+, which blocks LAN access to Spotify, and I do see a toast from AFWall+ that it blocked LAN access.
If Network Data is faked or returned null, how is Spotify figuring out how to access LAN which AFWall+ is trapping?

Thanks
BB

Restricting network data is not meant to restrict internet access.
See also here: https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacyLua/...d#restrictions
21st January 2018, 07:26 PM |#1006  

More
Quote:

Restricting network data is not meant to restrict internet access.
See also here: https://github.com/M66B/XPrivacyLua/...d#restrictions

Yeah, I get that, but if XPrivacyLua is faking the data, how is the app figuring out how to reach out to my LAN, wouldn't that require knowledge of my LAN details, which are faked?

Thanks
BB
21st January 2018, 07:57 PM |#1007  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:

Yeah, I get that, but if XPrivacyLua is faking the data, how is the app figuring out how to reach out to my LAN, wouldn't that require knowledge of my LAN details, which are faked?

Your LAN details are not faked. See the earlier referenced link for what is faked.
21st January 2018, 08:30 PM |#1008  

More
Quote:

Your LAN details are not faked. See the earlier referenced link for what is faked.

I'm not following.
From that link I see.
Read network data (hide cell info, Wi-Fi networks, fake Wi-Fi network name)
Does that mean, although the wifi network name is faked, it can still reach out to the wifi (without knowing the name) because it can use an established connection?

Thanks
BB
21st January 2018, 09:28 PM |#1009  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:

I'm not following.
From that link I see.
Read network data (hide cell info, Wi-Fi networks, fake Wi-Fi network name)
Does that mean, although the wifi network name is faked, it can still reach out to the wifi (without knowing the name) because it can use an established connection?

Yes, but because Android manages connections, not apps. Apps just use existing connection. They don't even need to know what type of connection it is.

Anyway, XPrivacyLua does not and will not have restrictions to block internet access. For that you can better use a firewall app.
21st January 2018, 09:50 PM |#1010  

More
Quote:

Yes, but because Android manages connections, not apps. Apps just use existing connection. They don't even need to know what type of connection it is.

Anyway, XPrivacyLua does not and will not have restrictions to block internet access. For that you can better use a firewall app.

Sure, I wasn't asking or even expecting that XPrivacyLua would block internet access.
I was wrongly assuming that it wouldn't be able to reach out to my LAN if it didn't know the details, which I was obviously wrong.
21st January 2018, 11:58 PM |#1011  
Thanks Meter: 763

More
Could XPL show timestamps even if an item is allowed?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)