[APP][XPOSED][6.0+] XPrivacyLua - Android privacy manager

21,896 posts
Thanks Meter: 46,513

By M66B, Recognized Developer on 5th January 2018, 04:32 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
5th January 2018, 06:05 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Thx a lot for building and developing this app.

After I've selected some apps I get an error:
XLua.Main:android.os.DeadObjectException:Transacti on failed on small parcel; remote process probably died

Things that I would appreciate in future releases:
- More restriction-types like: Network connection, Telephone number/sim-operator, Serialnumber, installed apps/services, accounts
- Is it possible to hide disabled apps from the list?
- Is it possible to decide when an app will request for example the location to allow or deny the request?
5th January 2018, 06:09 PM |#12  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by th4_c0r3

Thx a lot for building and developing this app.

After I've selected some apps I get an error:
XLua.Main:android.os.DeadObjectException:Transacti on failed on small parcel; remote process probably died

Can you please capture a logcat? If not, the problem might be visible in the Xposed log as well.

Edit: where exactly do you see this error?

Quote:

Things that I would appreciate in future releases:
- More restriction-types like: Network connection, Telephone number/sim-operator, Serialnumber, installed apps/services, accounts
- Is it possible to hide disabled apps from the list?
- Is it possible to decide when an app will request for example the location to allow or deny the request?

Disabled apps are hidden from the list by default.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th January 2018, 06:30 PM |#13  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 1,863

More
First: thanks for the release and minimal UI of this app.

Just one request if it is possible. Would it be possible when you start ironing out the features to include a randomisation to some privacy information. Like my main coordinates for GPS are 33N 112W. If the app could randomise the rest so the app knows my general location but not accurately as 1m?

Edit: a good reason for this is for apps like speedtest.net. it grabs GPS to find a close server. When I restrict, closes server is in NY. I don't mind if it knows I live in AZ, heck, XDA knows I live here, but knowing my exact location is bothering.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Uzephi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Uzephi Ad-Free
5th January 2018, 06:36 PM |#14  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

Can you please capture a logcat? If not, the problem might be visible in the Xposed log as well.

Edit: where exactly do you see this error?

The error occurs every second time I open the app and it's shown in the bottom of the app. In the Xposed log there isn't a XLua-Error.

I've sent you the logcat via email.
The Following User Says Thank You to th4_c0r3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift th4_c0r3 Ad-Free
5th January 2018, 06:46 PM |#15  
Thanks Meter: 276

More
Quote:

For now I will concentrate on fixing bugs and building restrictions, which is of course the most important of all. Restrictions are indeed defined and written in Lua. Currently all restrictions are built-in, but later I might add a manager, so you can manage your own definitions. There might even be a repository, which could even contain definition for things not privacy related.

Thank you for your answer, but I'm still kinda missing what I wanted to know: Could hooks potentially add custom UI and/or save data? I'd imagine something like saving a list of contacts and when an app requests the contact list selecting this specific list to be returned.
The Following User Says Thank You to Namnodorel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Namnodorel Ad-Free
5th January 2018, 06:55 PM |#16  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namnodorel

Thank you for your answer, but I'm still kinda missing what I wanted to know: Could hooks potentially add custom UI and/or save data? I'd imagine something like saving a list of contacts and when an app requests the contact list selecting this specific list to be returned.

Yes, that would be possible. When there is a need, I will add APIs that can be used in Lua to save data in a structured way into the XPrivacyLua database, so anyone wanting to develop a new hook definition doesn't have to worry about how to do this. In fact this has already been prepared.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th January 2018, 06:58 PM |#17  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:

I don't see why that is a lie or misstatement, so, could you please explain why you think it is?

Edit: I have changed the wording of the opening post a bit, so it is clearer that "Android 6 Marshmallow and later" applies to XPrivacyLua and not to XPrivacy, assuming this is what you meant.

See this comment.

Oh okay, thanks. So I can't use the current XPrivacy (on the PlayStore) on Nougat S8? I hope I can if not, I'll wait for the XPrivacy L.

It's crazy that Android forces privacy breaching (violation is an accurate word use) "services", processes and apps at it's core. If I were to learn to use Android enough is it possible to prevent it, like it's the case on iPhone, well in appareances because when you jailbreak it you can see all the processes, but it's clearly not in completely forcing this violation of your data, be it just with the permission management that NO apps can require or force on you to run, which to me absolutely crazy that it's the case on Android.
5th January 2018, 07:13 PM |#18  
Thanks Meter: 89

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by OgreTactic

Oh okay, thanks. So I can't use the current XPrivacy (on the PlayStore) on Nougat S8? I hope I can if not, I'll wait for the XPrivacy L.

It's crazy that Android forces privacy breaching (violation is an accurate word use) "services", processes and apps at it's core. If I were to learn to use Android enough is it possible to prevent it, like it's the case on iPhone, well in appareances because when you jailbreak it you can see all the processes, but it's clearly not in completely forcing this violation of your data, be it just with the permission management that NO apps can require or force on you to run, which to me absolutely crazy that it's the case on Android.

As M66B said in the Xprivacy Thread:
Quote:

An absolute privacy fix is turning your device off. XPrivacy is an best effort attempt to fix the most important privacy problems, like exposing your location and contacts.

What you could do, at least that's what I do, is to disable services (look for DisableService in PlayStore) and/or restrict as much as possible via the privacy settings (depending on ROM). For example I deny Google services the location rights and only switch them on when needed.
Also there are possibilities to run your phone without any Google services at all. Search for MicroG.
But you have to understand, that using an Android device is going to violate privacy in one form or another. Same goes with Windows and Apple devices...
I don't like it at all but that's just what the world has become. If you want to use Google Services you kinda have to accept that you can't (at least not with simple fixes) protect your whole privacy. It sucks, but that's just what it is...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrfrantastic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrfrantastic Ad-Free
5th January 2018, 07:16 PM |#19  
Thanks Meter: 276

More
Quote:

Yes, that would be possible. When there is a need, I will add APIs that can be used in Lua to save data in a structured way into the XPrivacyLua database, so anyone wanting to develop a new hook definition doesn't have to worry about how to do this. In fact this has already been prepared.

I propose you get added to a new awesome list of "Awesome Developers"
Looks like I'm going to learn Lua, then.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Namnodorel For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Namnodorel Ad-Free
5th January 2018, 07:22 PM |#20  
Thanks Meter: 89

More
Quote:

The error occurs every second time I open the app and it's shown in the bottom of the app. In the Xposed log there isn't a XLua-Error.

I've sent you the logcat via email.

I get the same error. Also frozen apps (Titanium Backup) are shown in the list. No biggie but just FYI.
Thanks for your great work!
5th January 2018, 08:13 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfrantastic

As M66B said in the Xprivacy Thread:
What you could do, at least that's what I do, is to disable services (look for DisableService in PlayStore) and/or restrict as much as possible via the privacy settings (depending on ROM). For example I deny Google services the location rights and only switch them on when needed.
Also there are possibilities to run your phone without any Google services at all. Search for MicroG.
But you have to understand, that using an Android device is going to violate privacy in one form or another. Same goes with Windows and Apple devices...
I don't like it at all but that's just what the world has become. If you want to use Google Services you kinda have to accept that you can't (at least not with simple fixes) protect your whole privacy. It sucks, but that's just what it is...

Thanks, I understand but that's why I still torn about wether I keep my Android: this is my first device, and as someone tweaking and privacy aware, I'm just overwhelmed with how blatant and abusive all those privacy and data violation stuffs are, specifically the way they're set-up with forced permissions to run apps that don't need these and the fact that some of them straight-up (and I'm pretty sure, illegally) record everything through the mic has me shocked.

Because I'm sure Apple does this in an invisible or way more subtle way, I'd rather learn how to tweak my Android device so that for any Android I want to get, or people I work with do get, I quickly understand and know how to make the Android device safe.

I'm a noob, so for now it's just that I need to understand how Android works in it's different layer, like base ROM and system "services" and how to "xpose" them and disable or uninstall them, then surface services, widgets or apps and how to use them without them running in the background, hoarding and stealing my datas, especially with those egregious permissions that I still don't understand why they're forced on you unlike iOS which does require any unless you chose so specifically when wanted.
The Following User Says Thank You to OgreTactic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift OgreTactic Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)