By M66B, Recognized Developer on 5th January 2018, 04:32 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
5th January 2018, 08:13 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfrantastic

As M66B said in the Xprivacy Thread:
What you could do, at least that's what I do, is to disable services (look for DisableService in PlayStore) and/or restrict as much as possible via the privacy settings (depending on ROM). For example I deny Google services the location rights and only switch them on when needed.
Also there are possibilities to run your phone without any Google services at all. Search for MicroG.
But you have to understand, that using an Android device is going to violate privacy in one form or another. Same goes with Windows and Apple devices...
I don't like it at all but that's just what the world has become. If you want to use Google Services you kinda have to accept that you can't (at least not with simple fixes) protect your whole privacy. It sucks, but that's just what it is...

Thanks, I understand but that's why I still torn about wether I keep my Android: this is my first device, and as someone tweaking and privacy aware, I'm just overwhelmed with how blatant and abusive all those privacy and data violation stuffs are, specifically the way they're set-up with forced permissions to run apps that don't need these and the fact that some of them straight-up (and I'm pretty sure, illegally) record everything through the mic has me shocked.

Because I'm sure Apple does this in an invisible or way more subtle way, I'd rather learn how to tweak my Android device so that for any Android I want to get, or people I work with do get, I quickly understand and know how to make the Android device safe.

I'm a noob, so for now it's just that I need to understand how Android works in it's different layer, like base ROM and system "services" and how to "xpose" them and disable or uninstall them, then surface services, widgets or apps and how to use them without them running in the background, hoarding and stealing my datas, especially with those egregious permissions that I still don't understand why they're forced on you unlike iOS which does require any unless you chose so specifically when wanted.
The Following User Says Thank You to OgreTactic For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift OgreTactic Ad-Free

5th January 2018, 10:46 PM |#22  
Flag Lyon
Thanks Meter: 1,012

Donate to Me
More
@M66B
Hello,

I did not think like others certainly that you had completely abandoned this type of application project, and finally here is a new!

I really hope for you that people will not be as "heavy" as you are about XPrivacy, time will tell.

I have just seen your post, I have not yet install the application, but just a last word to tell you: respect!
5th January 2018, 11:16 PM |#23  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 34,994

More
I have just released alpha version 0.4 in the Xposed repo.

This version fixes all reported bugs.
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th January 2018, 01:55 AM |#24  
Thanks Meter: 3,761

Donate to Me
More
I really appreciate all you've done for the Android community. XPrivacy is the one and only reason I haven't upgraded from Android M. I really value your respect for user's privacy and I look forward to the updates you have for this project.

Thank you very much for continuing with your privacy-enhancing efforts!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FBis251 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FBis251 Ad-Free
6th January 2018, 03:13 AM |#25  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by OgreTactic

...I'd rather learn how to tweak my Android device ...

I'm a noob, so for now it's just that I need to understand how Android works in it's different layer, like base ROM and system "services" and how to "xpose" them and disable or uninstall them, then surface services, widgets or apps and how to use them without them running in the background, hoarding and stealing my datas, especially with those egregious permissions that I still don't understand why they're forced on you unlike iOS which does require any unless you chose so specifically when wanted.

Do you know about using a firewall on your device?
AFWall is trustworthy, AFAIK.
6th January 2018, 03:37 AM |#26  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keule-T

Do you know about using a firewall on your device?
AFWall is trustworthy, AFAIK.

I'm getting into it, but I'm overwhelmed with with all the things everywhere, and apparently BK Package Disabler is not working as advertised since it actually kills the app even when not uninstalling it.
6th January 2018, 06:42 AM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 38

More
@M66B
First all have a nice new 2018 year, then thanks a lots for your hard work to help everyone getting a better privacy control. I was on S5 Klteduos Stock 4.4.2 till 2 weeks ago exclusively for your xprivacy module for xposed (I think I've used it at least for 2,5 years) it was the best app I have ever used; now the magic it's again among us. Here I'll test with two s5 klteduos phone with RR ROM and CRDROID ROM.
Best regards
Tony
P.S:
Thanks a lots for your app
6th January 2018, 08:12 AM |#28  
Thanks Meter: 57

More
Hi Marcel,

I already asked you about root and XPrivacyLua, in the XPrivacy thread when you announced your new project.

Your answer : "Xposed will be required".

As you know I am a noob, and I sincerely appreciate you answer me each time.

I understand that unlock bootloader is only required to install Xposed Framework, and not root. Root is only required if a Xposed module requires it. I hope I am right*

So, is root required for XPrivacyLua module ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.
6th January 2018, 08:22 AM |#29  
OP Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 34,994

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanttoknow

Hi Marcel,

I already asked you about root and XPrivacyLua, in the XPrivacy thread when you announced your new project.

Your answer : "Xposed will be required".

As you know I am a noob, and I sincerely appreciate you answer me each time.

I understand that unlock bootloader is only required to install Xposed Framework, and not root. Root is only required if a Xposed module requires it. I hope I am right*

So, is root required for XPrivacyLua module ?

Thanks in advance for your answer.

If you have the Xposed framework installed, you can run XPrivacyLua. Mostly installing Xposed only requires a custom recovery and no root permissions. Installing a custom recovery mostly requires an unlocked bootloader. You can check here if the custom recovery TWRP is supported for your device.

I did install Xposed without having root permissions on my test device (a first generation NVIDIA SHIELD tablet).

This thread is not meant to help you install Xposed. You'll need to go here for Xposed installation instructions.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th January 2018, 08:55 AM |#30  
Thanks Meter: 233

More
Fantastic! Thanks so much for this. Since my last phone died and I had to get a new one I was forced onto nougat and had no privacy protection. Well, now I do.

It even works with Google Maps!

Just one question: when an app asks for permission like location is it just denied, or is it fed random information instead?

Again, thanks and have a fantastic 2018.

Cheers.
6th January 2018, 08:56 AM |#31  
Flag orange county
Thanks Meter: 310

More
Lg H918 V20
Xposed 89
Will grab a log tomorrow morning
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture+_2018-01-05-16-51-52.png
Views:	636
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	4381126  
The Following User Says Thank You to Still_living714 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Still_living714 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)