Thanks Meter: 38,871

By M66B, Recognized Developer on 5th January 2018, 04:32 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
7th August 2019, 03:27 AM |#4541  
Thanks Meter: 278

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fif_

Have you tried Firefox (which is the problem app for I am Groot!)? Not all apps will try to call GetPackageAsUser().

I use Firefox-based Fennec almost exclusively and have been using it all day without issue (Share, et al. works fine).
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Groot!

@Fif_
Found out the solution and I still can't believe I haven't thought about doing it. Since this issue affected all apps (Firefox was the one the log was pulled off from.), I tried "magisk-EdXposed-YAHFA-v0.4.5.1_beta.4463.-release.zip" instead of "magisk-EdXposed-SandHook-v0.4.5.1_beta.4463.-release.zip" and just like that everything back to normal again.

I have switched between SandHook & YAHFA several times for testing purposes (nothing to do with XPL, per se, but with overall performance) and have found that YAHFA works best on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e (SM-T720).
7th August 2019, 05:12 PM |#4542  
Thanks Meter: 833

More
Quote:

@Fif_
Found out the solution and I still can't believe I haven't thought about doing it. Since this issue affected all apps (Firefox was the one the log was pulled off from.), I tried "magisk-EdXposed-YAHFA-v0.4.5.1_beta.4463.-release.zip" instead of "magisk-EdXposed-SandHook-v0.4.5.1_beta.4463.-release.zip" and just like that everything back to normal again.

I will update if anything comes up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiTiB

I use Firefox-based Fennec almost exclusively and have been using it all day without issue (Share, et al. works fine).

I have switched between SandHook & YAHFA several times for testing purposes (nothing to do with XPL, per se, but with overall performance) and have found that YAHFA works best on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e (SM-T720).

Thank you for the testing. I am somewhat relieved that the problem was with EdXposed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fif_ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Fif_ Ad-Free
8th August 2019, 01:04 AM |#4543  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
GSF ID
How would I go about randomising the GSF ID and not just restricting it. I believe blocking it completely is causing issues when trying to use apps that require google play services. Also is it possible to randomise build fingerprint? I feel like without these two it's not really a complete privacy package. If anyone has any custom hooks or is willing to share how I could do this I would greatly appreciate it.
8th August 2019, 06:19 AM |#4544  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by warg85zak

How would I go about randomising the GSF ID and not just restricting it. I believe blocking it completely is causing issues when trying to use apps that require google play services. Also is it possible to randomise build fingerprint? I feel like without these two it's not really a complete privacy package. If anyone has any custom hooks or is willing to share how I could do this I would greatly appreciate it.

Randomizing the GSF ID will result in trouble. The build fingerprint is hardly accessed by apps, so it is not worth to put effort into randomizing this value.
8th August 2019, 12:55 PM |#4545  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

Randomizing the GSF ID will result in trouble. The build fingerprint is hardly accessed by apps, so it is not worth to put effort into randomizing this value.

Why would it result in trouble? If we can't do this, how would one go about getting a new one on Android 9.0 without resetting or flashing since you can't clear the app data in app manager for GSF like with old android versions?
9th August 2019, 03:00 PM |#4546  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
@M66B

Found by accident while navigating to LOS team's Reddit page:
https://www.reddit.com/r/LineageOS/c...re_setting_up/

A user "leanapp" reported that both stock and LOS leak country code values even when a user is not connected to any network. This happens without user intervention at the time of first setup of device.

And apparently this is correct. Under "Country" value, the device knew the original ISO. I found this out when I had restricted a few system components. Where both were showing original value even when the device is setup to use Android's Always-on and to Block connection without VPN, options.

Can anyone help understand me that XPL "Fake.Location" is able to restrict such leaks?
9th August 2019, 03:15 PM |#4547  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:

@M66B

Found by accident while navigating to LOS team's Reddit page:
https://www.reddit.com/r/LineageOS/c...re_setting_up/

A user "leanapp" reported that both stock and LOS leak country code values even when a user is not connected to any network. This happens without user intervention at the time of first setup of device.

And apparently this is correct. Under "Country" value, the device knew the original ISO. I found this out when I had restricted a few system components. Where both were showing original value even when the device is setup to use Android's Always-on and to Block connection without VPN, options.

Can anyone help understand me that XPL "Fake.Location" is able to restrict such leaks?

The "get location" restrictions will restrict everything based on the Android Location object, which is in practice everything with a latitude and longitude.

The "Use tracking" restrictions will restrict the SIM and network country codes.

Combined this should be pretty effective.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th August 2019, 03:30 PM |#4548  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Thank you so much for clearing this out. That Reddit post got me worried.
10th August 2019, 12:53 PM |#4549  
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 579

More
Quote:

@Fif_

I will update if anything comes up.

That would have been also my advise. Yahfa is a little bit slower that Sandhook, but it's known to be more stable.
So in general, regarding XPL and any other modules, I'd recommend to use Yahfa. Only if this raises problems or is noticeable to slow on some scenarios you should try Sandhook.

But I'm glad you found out on your own and things are working well now for you
Hopefully this isn't too off-topic.

Sent from my OnePlus 6 using XDA Labs
10th August 2019, 11:52 PM |#4550  
Thanks Meter: 55

More
Quote:

@[email protected]_

The "PackageManager.getPackageInfoAsUser" definition pops up as an error on every app installed. Also, how many times XPL Pro app check for updates? I see that happening more often than before. Hope this is not draining my battery!

Request:
Please make definitions downloadable. Takes too much time to download each one and import them. Plus the UI of Android is not very friendly to such diverse and long web page to navigate.

Running on Android 9.0 Pie with EdXposed.

One more observation:
XPL apparently is making apps slow to open. Never had this issue before on Nougat. Biggest hurdle was AFWall+ firewall's inability to start at boot in time to avoid any leak. Also more the apps you restrict the device becomes slower. This is only happening on Pie.

About afwall+,
Go to preferences then experimental,
Press on startup directory path for script and select a path, then press on Fix startup data leak.
This will block internet completely on boot till afwall service starts
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dope77 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dope77 Ad-Free
11th August 2019, 12:46 AM |#4551  
Thanks Meter: 278

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dope77

About afwall+,
Go to preferences then experimental,
Press on startup directory path for script and select a path, then press on Fix startup data leak.
This will block internet completely on boot till afwall service starts

Sounds like something to consider for *all* users.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)