Thanks Meter: 34,994

By M66B, Recognized Developer on 5th January 2018, 04:32 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
14th January 2018, 09:21 PM |#501  
Thanks Meter: 41

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by M66B

What exactly do you mean by 'closer to the concept of Xprivacy'. I am asking because XPrivacyLua is meant as a better replacement of XPrivacy for recent Android versions.

I am not sure that this is the right place to talk about it, because I do not want to raise any further controversy, but because you asked, I will clarify it. Sure, XprivacyLua is really a better replacement, because it is much easier to use, is expandable by script and covers the latest APIs. But it has also a lack of funktions. By this I mean the integration of network restrictions (java code or lua script) or a selection of individual data items of a category and a proactive protection. The last means that when an app wants to access data items, the user will informed and can decide whether or not to allow access, Including a short and clear explanation of the data item. In Xprivacy, many of them were hard to understand for the user. There was the possibility to have a look at the Android documentation, but not everyone can speak English or has the technical understanding for it.

Apart from that, I would like to learn from your very well written app and experiment with it. If you wish, I can make the git repository private.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EinsteinXXL For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift EinsteinXXL Ad-Free

14th January 2018, 09:22 PM |#502  
Flag orange county
Thanks Meter: 310

More
Nice update! So far everything is working great on my V20😁️😁️😁️
14th January 2018, 09:22 PM |#503  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:

I have tried to fix that and I thought I did. I will look into it again.

I cannot reproduce this problem anymore in the latest version.
14th January 2018, 09:29 PM |#504  
Thanks Meter: 65

More
Quote:

I have just released beta version 0.21 in the Xposed repository.

Changelog:

added fake location settings (requires installing pro app, you will be guided through this automatically)

Can you please explain a bit more. Might be I'm completely blind but I can't find an option or are guide trough automatically.

Thanks in advanced and as well BIG THANKS for this app!!!

Sent from my OnePlus3T using XDA Labs
14th January 2018, 09:32 PM |#505  
Thanks Meter: 72

More
Quote:

I have just released beta version 0.21 in the Xposed repository.

Changelog:
enabled phone data and sensor restrictions again ( @EinsteinXXL you might want to close your XDA thread)
added identification restriction
added fake location settings (requires installing pro app, you will be guided through this automatically)
small improvements and minor bug fixes (actually a lot of them)
updated libraries (Glide)
updated translations

See here for details on existing and new restrictions.

Although not clearly visible in the changelog, I have spent a big part of my weekend building a pro companion app to set fake values. I have tested it thoroughly, but that isn't a guarantee it will work correctly for everybody. Just report any problem you experience and I will try to fix it.

Wow you're pumping updates out non stop! Awesome job. Just tried it out and everything's working.
14th January 2018, 09:35 PM |#506  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinXXL

I am not sure that this is the right place to talk about it, because I do not want to raise any further controversy, but because you asked, I will clarify it. Sure, XprivacyLua is really a better replacement, because it is much easier to use, is expandable by script and covers the latest APIs. But is has also a lack of funktions. By this I mean the integration of network restrictions (java code or lua script) or a selection of individual data items of a category and a proactive protection. The last means that when an app wants to access data items, the user will informed and can decide whether or not to allow access. Apart from that, I would like to learn from your very well written app and experiment with it. If you wish, I can make the git repository private.

This project was just started, so why not have some patience?

Network restrictions should really be done by a firewall app. Please stop bringing this up, it is getting boring.

Real time allow / deny of restrictions has always been more or less unstable in XPrivacy. This is because of how Android is structured and this cannot really be solved. XPrivacyLua applies selected restrictions only on app start. This has advantages, like better system performance, better stability and the ability to restrict individual system apps (which XPrivacy couldn't do). However, the disadvantage is that on demand restricting is not possible. What is possible is to report that an app was restricted, like already is happening with the record and camera restrictions.

So, if you really want on demand restricting, you'll need to fix XPrivacy. You'll need to invest really a lot of time to get this done.

Edit: managing individual functions is too complicated for most people and only really needed when things crash. I am trying to design XPrivacyLua in such a way that apps do not crash, so there is likely no need for this.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th January 2018, 09:36 PM |#507  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbv2005

Can you please explain a bit more. Might be I'm completely blind but I can't find an option or are guide trough automatically.

Thanks in advanced and as well BIG THANKS for this app!!!

Just tap on one of the settings wheels.
The Following User Says Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th January 2018, 09:42 PM |#508  
Thanks Meter: 65

More
Quote:

Just tap on one of the settings wheels.

Weird, did that before but the browser just brought me to my google login, but after login not further. Nevertheless worked after reboot. Thank you!!!

Sent from my OnePlus3T using XDA Labs
14th January 2018, 09:50 PM |#509  
Flag orange county
Thanks Meter: 310

More
I'm getting this after logging into Google
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture+_2018-01-14-13-38-57.png
Views:	554
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	4389407  
14th January 2018, 10:00 PM |#510  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_living714

I'm getting this after logging into Google

That is because there is no app besides the Play store app installed that can/wants to open this link:
https://play.google.com/apps/testing...rcode.xlua.pro

It is really stupid that the Play store app cannot handle this properly. What was Google thinking? I had to force the browser to open this link to work around this. Apparently that doesn't work in your case.

So, just follow the above link from your device to work around Google's stupidness.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th January 2018, 10:02 PM |#511  
Thanks Meter: 41

More
Quote:

Network restrictions should really be done by a firewall app. Please stop bringing this up, it is getting boring.

It wasn't my intention to further thematize network restrictions or push you to another decision. As I have already written, I didn't want to say anything more about it, but you asked me what I meant by closer to the concept of XPrivacy.

Then I have a question about this function: getVoiceMailNumber() Are you planning to take this into account? The phone number and contacts are already protected, but the voicemail number is not. Thank you for your detailed explanation of the demand restrictions in XPrivacy.

Quote:

This project was just started, so why not have some patience?.

You're right. I should be more patient. Unfortunately, I am a very impatient person by nature.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)