21,881 posts
Thanks Meter: 46,425

By M66B, Recognized Developer on 5th January 2018, 04:32 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
18th June 2020, 11:30 PM |#5281  
Thanks Meter: 767

More
@M66B

Would you think this new Android 11 feature could be leveraged in any way to monitor 3rd party sdk activity?

https://developer.android.com/previe...ccess-auditing

"This means that, if a 3rd-party SDK or library in your app calls an API that accesses private data, data access auditing allows your OnOpNotedCallback to examine information about the call. Usually, this callback object can tell whether the call came from your app or the SDK by looking at the app's current status, such as the current thread's stack trace."

I'm just wondering if I could see "Acme Analytic Company's code in FunChinaFlashlight app access your contact information."
19th June 2020, 05:06 AM |#5282  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawz101

@M66B

Would you think this new Android 11 feature could be leveraged in any way to monitor 3rd party sdk activity?

https://developer.android.com/previe...ccess-auditing

"This means that, if a 3rd-party SDK or library in your app calls an API that accesses private data, data access auditing allows your OnOpNotedCallback to examine information about the call. Usually, this callback object can tell whether the call came from your app or the SDK by looking at the app's current status, such as the current thread's stack trace."

I'm just wondering if I could see "Acme Analytic Company's code in FunChinaFlashlight app access your contact information."

This will not be possible.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st June 2020, 04:47 PM |#5283  
Thanks Meter: 458

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namnodorel

Well, there have been things improving privacy in the last couple of releases as well. It hasn't gotten to the point where I'd be willing to drop extra measures like XPL, but (at least the base of) Android is going in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrack1

The last few android versions has had some good privacy/security improvements, eg. more security on sensors/mic/camera, clipboard access, imei/macid/serial no. access., scoped storage access.

Okay, I was in a very negative mood when I wrote, "No doubt, there will be be a lot of useless things added, but something that actually improves privacy? I have my doubts."

What you say is obviously true, and although I don't currently have Android 10 on any devices the "location privacy" feature(s) come(s) to mind.

In my current state of mind I have hope for the future. 😍
The Following User Says Thank You to TiTiB For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift TiTiB Ad-Free
21st June 2020, 08:44 PM |#5284  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Discussing about changing the real IMEI is not allowed on XDA.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to M66B For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd June 2020, 02:39 AM |#5285  
Thanks Meter: 75

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiTiB

Okay, I was in a very negative mood when I wrote, "No doubt, there will be be a lot of useless things added, but something that actually improves privacy? I have my doubts."

What you say is obviously true, and although I don't currently have Android 10 on any devices the "location privacy" feature(s) come(s) to mind.
In my current state of mind I have hope for the future.

Starting android 10 there is an option to only allow apps to access location only if the app is in use.
https://thenextweb.com/google/2019/0...te-and-secure/
The Following User Says Thank You to barrack1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift barrack1 Ad-Free
26th June 2020, 03:05 PM |#5286  
Thanks Meter: 288

More
I just wanted to thank you, Marcel, for coding and supporting XPL (plus XP before that), and Fif for some really useful (non-privacy related) Lua scripts.

TikTok just got caught clipboard snooping on iOS 14. And we enjoy clipboard protection since 2014
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to daniel_m For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift daniel_m Ad-Free
Today, 11:37 AM |#5287  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
is there a way to block these permissions:
android.permission.NETWORK_BYPASS_PRIVATE_DNS
android.permission.ACCESS_MEDIA_LOCATION
com.sec.android.SAMSUNG_MODIFY_IPTABLES

and this kernel service:
iptables-rstore
ip6tables-restore

i see no point in "granting" these permissions and have such a service running, while i wanna be in control of my iptables.

much love and respect to Marcel and Fif
Today, 12:23 PM |#5288  
OP Recognized Developer

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiadroid

is there a way to block these permissions:
android.permission.NETWORK_BYPASS_PRIVATE_DNS
android.permission.ACCESS_MEDIA_LOCATION
com.sec.android.SAMSUNG_MODIFY_IPTABLES

and this kernel service:
iptables-rstore
ip6tables-restore

i see no point in "granting" these permissions and have such a service running, while i wanna be in control of my iptables.

much love and respect to Marcel and Fif

You'll need to use a permission manager instead of a privacy manager for this.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)