Post Reply Email Thread
12th March 2015, 06:00 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 57

More
Cool
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaDr

Really?..
Anybody can check sources, but who will?..
And can you trust their results?..

FOSS can be riddled with exploits like Heartbleed for years, and no one will notice anything. There are even competitions on hiding malicious code inside innocent one...
Only a small number of experienced and skilled developers will be able to find such malware, and believe me - 99% of them don't waste their time on reading, understanding and checking for exploits the sources of all software they use...

Hello there my Russian friend. I will respectfully disagree with you on this point and I will explain why. Right here on XDA, we have many highly-skilled developers who are the authors of countless lines of code translating into ROMs, modules, enhancements, etc. Much (if not all) of these projects are free to distribute and created as a contribution to the community. In other words, to ask "who will check sources" is the same thing as asking "who will create custom ROMs for people?" or "who will create invaluable/indispensable modules such as XPosed?" or even the general question of "why would someone do this for free?".

It is evident that all of these exist already and that people do indeed contribute, so coupled with the fact that the XDA community is over 5 million members in size, I think there will be developers who may be interested.

The only reason I can see someone not supporting this is if they have an interest not to do so, such as being the author of a closed-source (or open-source) malicious module.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to E--Man For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift E--Man Ad-Free

24th October 2015, 08:38 AM |#12  
OP Senior Member
Flag Detroit, Michigan
Thanks Meter: 34

More
"FOSS can be riddled with exploits like Heartbleed for years, and no one will notice anything"

Yeah but if it was closed source there is a chance it would have never been found.

Also saying that "no one would bother to check the code" is a horrible argument. At least give people the option to inspect it if they want to.
19th March 2017, 06:35 PM |#13  

More
Bump, has anyone taken this to the next step? I am still interested!

Please use the QUOTE feature when replying to me to get my attention. Thanks!
4th May 2017, 01:36 AM |#14  

More
Bump, has anyone taken this to the next step? I am still interested! <br />
<br />
Please use the QUOTE feature when replying to me to get my attention. Thanks!<br/>

Please use the QUOTE feature when replying to me to get my attention. Thanks!
22nd July 2017, 07:46 AM |#15  
OP Senior Member
Flag Detroit, Michigan
Thanks Meter: 34

More
I think more filters in general would be a good thing. There are a lot of Asian based apps that I have no interest in, nor do I play Pokemon/Ingress.

Categories for what country you're in or if an app is for gaming/banking/etc... would be nice. Maybe have the API levels it will work with too, and then just not show anything outside of that range.

I suppose someone could just make an F-Droid repo specifically for xposed/magisk apps too, though I would prefer it if it were officially maintained/sanctioned.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)