Remove All Ads from XDA
Honor 7x
Win an Honor 7X!

Is Xposed or any of its modules suppose to give zygote root access?

1,708 posts
Thanks Meter: 206
 
By riahc3, Senior Member on 4th March 2017, 12:19 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Question:

Is Xposed or any of its modules suppose to give zygote root access? Doesnt Xposed already take care of that?
 
 
4th March 2017, 12:54 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 17
 
More
Yes. What's app extensions module must have zygote/sqlite3 base for work.
4th March 2017, 02:37 PM |#3  
riahc3's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 206
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert342

Yes. What's app extensions module must have zygote/sqlite3 base for work.

One module that is using it wrong.

Others? None?
4th March 2017, 06:33 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Flag Idaho
Thanks Meter: 158
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by riahc3

Question:

Is Xposed or any of its modules suppose to give zygote root access? Doesnt Xposed already take care of that?

No. You must have root access on your device before trying to install Xposed.

Please go read in the Zygote sub-forums to learn how to get root access, if it is possible.
6th March 2017, 11:27 PM |#5  
riahc3's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 206
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spott07

No. You must have root access on your device before trying to install Xposed.

Please go read in the Zygote sub-forums to learn how to get root access, if it is possible.

...wow...really?
The Following User Says Thank You to riahc3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift riahc3 Ad-Free
7th March 2017, 02:25 AM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spott07

No. You must have root access on your device before trying to install Xposed.

Please go read in the Zygote sub-forums to learn how to get root access, if it is possible.

I accidentally unrooted my phone multiple times yet Xposed still works. So I'd say you are wrong, Xposed only requires unlocked bootloader/recovery.
7th March 2017, 03:55 AM |#7  
Senior Member
Flag Idaho
Thanks Meter: 158
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by levizx

I accidentally unrooted my phone multiple times yet Xposed still works. So I'd say you are wrong, Xposed only requires unlocked bootloader/recovery.

Technically, you are correct.

However, you can't get root access without unlocking the bootloader/recovery, so it's easiest just to start with root as your goal. By the time you unlock bootloader/recovery you're already 90% of the way to root.
9th March 2017, 10:32 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 29
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spott07

Technically, you are correct.

However, you can't get root access without unlocking the bootloader/recovery, so it's easiest just to start with root as your goal. By the time you unlock bootloader/recovery you're already 90% of the way to root.

90% of the way to root means EXACTLY that, not rooted. So saying Xposed REQUIRES root is not just "technically" wrong, there's nothing right about that statement, and that's a fact.
The Following User Says Thank You to levizx For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift levizx Ad-Free
9th March 2017, 10:51 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Flag Idaho
Thanks Meter: 158
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by levizx

90% of the way to root means EXACTLY that, not rooted. So saying Xposed REQUIRES root is not just "technically" wrong, there's nothing right about that statement, and that's a fact.

To install Xposed requires permission or workarounds to edit system files at the root level. End of story.

However you go about it, whether the user account has ongoing root access or not, whether the device allows root/bootloader access out-of-the-box or if you have to use exploits, whether it continues to run after the *user account* has unrooted, is immaterial.

SuperSU or equivalents do not *provide* root access, and removing them is not the same as unrooting the entire device. They instead take existing root access and bring it to where it is convenient for the user.

Unlocking the bootloader/system partition IS rooting your device, even if you never install a root manager program, despite how the terminology has been distorted in popular use here on XDA.

Xposed requires root access. Xposed modules do not provide root access if your device does not already have it.
5th December 2017, 09:08 AM |#10  
The Analog Kid's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 92
 
More
Ok, fine. But where did the "zygote" related discussion ended up? I've just had a zygote root permission request which I denied, and now SuperSU is not responding and crashing. Some other non root app nor Xposed module is also closing itself...

Sent from my Moto G4 Plus using XDA Labs
6th December 2017, 05:47 PM |#11  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 591
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Analog Kid

Ok, fine. But where did the "zygote" related discussion ended up? I've just had a zygote root permission request which I denied, and now SuperSU is not responding and crashing. Some other non root app nor Xposed module is also closing itself...


Zygote process is in the system, and should not request root permission (already has it).

You encountered a bug which you should have neither allowed/disallowed and just rebooted your device.

Search the supersu threads, the bug get's reported every now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire

There is a case where an internal crash of zygote(64) will attempt to create log files as root. This is a left-over from Android development and really shouldn't be in production builds, but it often is. It is impossible to know if that is the cause, though.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes