FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Stereo Speakers?

64 posts
Thanks Meter: 12

By Combonary, Member on 16th August 2017, 07:23 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hello, the top speaker came louder than the bottom speaker on my Xperia XZ Premium G1814. They were initially very low (the bottom one was almost non existent) but somehow both got a little louder after the 45.0.A.7.90 update. Seemed a good thing.
Here's the thing, the bottom one now works perfectly, sounding as I like but the top one now makes static sounds like it has been damaged a little. You know that type of sound that's just irritating to here.
It makes this annoying static sound for everything (music, notifications, alarms). I have spoken with support (UK) and they said to send the phone in for repair, something about they have to check to see if the issue is under warranty? What?
What do you guys think? Is this issue covered under warranty? (for those who might have had a similar issue in the past)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16th August 2017, 09:58 PM |#2  
Flag Fresno
Thanks Meter: 5

More
I haven't had any issues in the past but it sounds like something that should be covered (assuming the issue isn't due to water damage). Sounds like a faulty speaker to me which should place it firmly in the realm of defective manufacturing. These speakers are so quiet it's not like you can even make them loud enough to damage them.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
16th August 2017, 11:02 PM |#3  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_09

I haven't had any issues in the past but it sounds like something that should be covered (assuming the issue isn't due to water damage). Sounds like a faulty speaker to me which should place it firmly in the realm of defective manufacturing. These speakers are so quiet it's not like you can even make them loud enough to damage them.

Do you also have the top one louder than the bottom?
LOL my Xperia Z Ultra was lost to water damage at the pool back then. Can't make the same mistake twice

16th August 2017, 11:28 PM |#4  
Flag Fresno

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combonary

Do you also have the top one louder than the bottom?
LOL my Xperia Z Ultra was lost to water damage at the pool back then. Can't make the same mistake twice

I don't have that problem and I didn't have it on my Z3 back in the day either, so I suspect a faulty speaker.

16th August 2017, 11:44 PM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_09

I don't have that problem and I didn't have it on my Z3 back in the day either, so I suspect a faulty speaker.

alright looks like I'll be sending this one back. Thanks for your input

17th August 2017, 04:21 AM |#6  
Flag Fresno

More
Sure thing. I hope you get it sorted out. Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jake_09 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jake_09 Ad-Free
25th August 2017, 06:35 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
I believe this is totally normal for the right speaker on the XZ premium to sound like utter garbage. The left speaker works just fine but the right speaker sounds like it's coming out of a Tamagotchi.
I've got the same issue on my XZ vanilla.
Try this : listen to some audio and then cover the left speaker with your finger for a few seconds then remove finger again. Repeat the same procedure on the right speaker. Do you notice the difference?
This seems to be by design. A flawed one that is. The right speaker just sounds wrong. It's lacking the bass and the dolby surround sound I guess. Perhaps some factory worker forgot to remove the plastic cover from the right speaker before assembling the phone? Anyone else notice this?
27th August 2017, 09:44 PM |#8  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebigmac

I believe this is totally normal for the right speaker on the XZ premium to sound like utter garbage. The left speaker works just fine but the right speaker sounds like it's coming out of a Tamagotchi.

I've got the same issue on my XZ vanilla.

Try this : listen to some audio and then cover the left speaker with your finger for a few seconds then remove finger again. Repeat the same procedure on the right speaker. Do you notice the difference?

This seems to be by design. A flawed one that is. The right speaker just sounds wrong. It's lacking the bass and the dolby surround sound I guess. Perhaps some factory worker forgot to remove the plastic cover from the right speaker before assembling the phone? Anyone else notice this?

Correct, defeats the purpose for having dual front firing speakers. I tried that the first day I got the device because I could tell the bottom one was lacking. I've sent the device back because the top one developed an annoying distortion that I hope will either get fixed or exchanged for a new device

28th August 2017, 08:36 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Combonary

Correct, defeats the purpose for having dual front firing speakers. I tried that the first day I got the device because I could tell the bottom one was lacking. I've sent the device back because the top one developed an annoying distortion that I hope will either get fixed or exchanged for a new device

You sir have got good ears. Are you a musician by any chance? Please let us know if your replacement device will have the same issue as soon as it arrives. Thanks.
1st September 2017, 10:58 PM |#10  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebigmac

You sir have got good ears. Are you a musician by any chance? Please let us know if your replacement device will have the same issue as soon as it arrives. Thanks.

Lol, no but it was pretty obvious. I just thought it was meant to be that way for some reason. I'll let you guys know the outcome

2nd September 2017, 04:05 AM |#11  
Flag Manila
Thanks Meter: 254

More
When I first got my XZP, the notification sounds did have a bit static to it, like it was too loud or something. I remember reading before that the speaker has to be calibrated before use (play music for 30 minutes straight) and the speakers should calibrate. If you notice in the service test menu, there's a new test called "Speaker Calibration". Upon checking it after the 30 minutes thing, it said "Calibrated". Notification sounds played as normal from the on. Maybe you just had to calibrate the speakers or something?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)