US Version flashing Internation version and mobile signal.

Search This thread
CE1 was weeks behind the others at the time, not hours. Reiriop asked for a reason, and that was literally the only consideration in an otherwise arbitrary decision.

Thanks, can you also confirm that group messaging is working properly with the FR firmware, if you are on AT&T, if T-Mobile you can tell me anyway. As I said in a previous post I'm not sure why but the HK firmware seems to have this disabled in android messages app, very strange. I was thinking that the HK firmware would be getting updates quickly as the US firmwares in the past have always been far behind but my wife keeps getting all the updates long before mine.

Heinous

Sep 15, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Thanks, can you also confirm that group messaging is working properly with the FR firmware, if you are on AT&T, if T-Mobile you can tell me anyway. As I said in a previous post I'm not sure why but the HK firmware seems to have this disabled in android messages app, very strange. I was thinking that the HK firmware would be getting updates quickly as the US firmwares in the past have always been far behind but my wife keeps getting all the updates long before mine.

I'm on T-Mobile. I don't really use group messaging, but I think it works.

vpkb

Jul 17, 2007
Flashing the Malaysia Oreo firmware now, is there any difference with this and the CE1?

---------- Post added at 01:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

Nevermind, got an error :( Going to use the companion to restore to CE1.

Emhdroid

Oct 29, 2016
? Regarding the dummy instructions from a newbie dummy

I got my xz1C ysssterday and followed your directions.

When I went to restart the phone I was getting several errors which did allow it to boot. I noticed there is a directory for boot. Where do the files for this come from as I did not see any. Is there anything else that could have made this do this. I restored it and looking forward to coming home and getting my finger to do something for my phone. Also thank you so much for the time to put this together.

Hi,

a few days ago i asked if someone can create a step by step manual for dummies like me, and no one has done it. Therefore i put some effort, and risk, and i tried myself. Open hundreds of XDA developers pages, and at the end this is what i found outÑ

1.- Download XperiFir from here version 5 in my case.
2.- Click on Xperia XZ Premium Maple, then in G8142 dual, then in Central Europe, finally on the right side click on the 45.0.a.5.1; this will start the process and download 3 files which it will unzip for a total of 2.75GB
attachment.php

3.- Download New Flashear from here
4.- Copy to the folder where you unzip Newflashear the following files:
attachment.php

as you can see in the right side i have all the files from the European Version, and i copied to the left side (where the newflasher.exe is) the needed files

5.- in this folder, create a folder call partition and unzip all the partition.zip files in there.
6.- Check that you have the boot, flash_session and Partition folder. in the Boot folder you should see this:
attachment.php

and in the Partition folder this:
attachment.php

7.- Turn off your Sony Xperia XZ Premium, press the volume down button and plug the Usb C cable to the phone and the other part to the Computer
8.- Run newflasher.exe (I did as Admin to be sure it will run with no restriction).
9.- Wait and enjoy it will tell you when to unplug it and turn on your device.

Extra, in my case it took me a few tries to turn it on. What i think i found out is that if I press Volume Up and Power ON, it does power on.

Enjoy your previous disabled feature, now finally enabled.

vpkb

Jul 17, 2007
On my XZP the boot folder was in the firmware folder. Not sure if you need it, create a flash_session folder as well. I omitted all the TA files.

hittori

Jun 23, 2008
where does boot folder come from

as vpkd says, it comes built-in with the Kernel you seleceted in XperiFirm

I'm on T-Mobile. I don't really use group messaging, but I think it works.

Turns out the group messaging thing is actually the carriers fault. Removing the sim makes the option come back so not related to firmware like I said before. I should have did what you said and flashed FR firmware, first I used CE1 and then the FR one got 8.0 the next day...so I just flashed the FR firmware.

pbarrette

Aug 7, 2012
Alabama
Turns out the group messaging thing is actually the carriers fault. Removing the sim makes the option come back so not related to firmware like I said before. I should have did what you said and flashed FR firmware, first I used CE1 and then the FR one got 8.0 the next day...so I just flashed the FR firmware.
Not quite.

If it's anything like the XZ1c Oreo firmware (which I suspect it is), then the group messaging thing is actually controlled by the OEM sin file.

In the oem partition is a folder called "overlay" and, depending on the carrier, other folders called "overlay-###" and/or "overlay-###-###" where "###" is a number that corresponds to a given carrier as determined by the SIM card.

That folder will have an APK named com.android.carrierconfig-res-305.apk or having the carrier specific number in the "###" folders.

That APK is used to change multiple system wide values, one of which is <boolean name="enableGroupMms" value="true" /> if group MMS messaging is enabled for your region or carrier.

The APK for a specific carrier (the ### specific overlay) is used if your SIM matches the config and, if not, then the APK in the normal "overlay" folder is used.

Since you can pull your SIM and have group MMS enabled, it's likely that you are using firmware for your region which has a SIM specific folder that doesn't enable it in the APK, while the default overlay folder does.

Reactions: VeixES
Not quite.

If it's anything like the XZ1c Oreo firmware (which I suspect it is), then the group messaging thing is actually controlled by the OEM sin file.

In the oem partition is a folder called "overlay" and, depending on the carrier, other folders called "overlay-###" and/or "overlay-###-###" where "###" is a number that corresponds to a given carrier as determined by the SIM card.

That folder will have an APK named com.android.carrierconfig-res-305.apk or having the carrier specific number in the "###" folders.

That APK is used to change multiple system wide values, one of which is <boolean name="enableGroupMms" value="true" /> if group MMS messaging is enabled for your region or carrier.

The APK for a specific carrier (the ### specific overlay) is used if your SIM matches the config and, if not, then the APK in the normal "overlay" folder is used.

Since you can pull your SIM and have group MMS enabled, it's likely that you are using firmware for your region which has a SIM specific folder that doesn't enable it in the APK, while the default overlay folder does.

The firmware for my region is the only one that I won't use, because the US firmware doesn't allow the fingerprint sensor to be used. I have tried HK,CE1, and FR firmware and with all of them group messaging is not allowed when I insert my sim card.

Is root required for any of that? I haven't looked into any of that before and am not really sure how to get to that point in order to modify that. I have seen posts from others that claimed the issue was resolved after escalating the issue with their service provider.

pbarrette

Aug 7, 2012
Alabama
The firmware for my region is the only one that I won't use, because the US firmware doesn't allow the fingerprint sensor to be used. I have tried HK,CE1, and FR firmware and with all of them group messaging is not allowed when I insert my sim card.

Is root required for any of that? I haven't looked into any of that before and am not really sure how to get to that point in order to modify that. I have seen posts from others that claimed the issue was resolved after escalating the issue with their service provider.
Hi reiriop,

I haven't looked at a lot of XZP firmwares, so I couldn't say which ones have group MMS enabled vs which ones don't.
Again, I'm primarily looking at the XZ1c since that's what I have.

I'm also in the US, so I've flashed a combination of the UK firmware with the US's OEM sin file so I can get both fingerprint and T-Mobile VoLTE (see the XZ1c forums), so I've had a look at the UK firmware and it seems to have enableGroupMms=true in the carrier generic overlay file. But again, that's XZ1c and not XZP.

To modify it, yes, you'd have to unlock your bootloader and either get root, or change it from a TWRP recovery.
Or, download various region firmwares, extract the OEM sin, then extract the overlay APKs to see if it's enabled.

I am a bit surprized that it shows as available without a SIM, but not available with the SIM in place though.
That would normally suggest there's a SIM specific overlay package getting applied, but it seems to not be the case if you're in the US and using a non-US firmware.
So it could mean that the CarrierConfig main APK is doing some additional checks.

walrusmonarch

Jun 29, 2012
I flashed MY firmware on my XZP today. This firmware has the option for group messaging available when I used my T-Mobile sim. I tried FR firmware first, but that didn't have it.

Heinous

Sep 15, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I flashed MY firmware on my XZP today. This firmware has the option for group messaging available when I used my T-Mobile sim. I tried FR firmware first, but that didn't have it.

Strange. I get group MMS with FR firmware on T Mobile US. Maybe we aren't talking about the same thing. In the default Google messaging app, I can receive a message from that was sent from one person to many people, and reply back to all them with one message.

walrusmonarch

Jun 29, 2012
Strange. I get group MMS with FR firmware on T Mobile US. Maybe we aren't talking about the same thing. In the default Google messaging app, I can receive a message from that was sent from one person to many people, and reply back to all them with one message.

Huh, that is strange. On FR firmware, group MMS would just get converted to mass SMS for me.

vpkb

Jul 17, 2007

It's not really the carrier. I didn't not have Group Messaging on 7.1.1 but got it on 8.0.

It definitely seems like it is related to the carrier and the sim card that is used. Currently my wife has the US firmware and the group mms options are there as they should be. I had the same problem with my Z5 Premium but had assumed the issue would be resolved when I got my XZ Premium so I didn't look into it any further at the time. Later I'll see if putting my wife's sim card in my phone resolves the issue or not. I just know that I don't want to have to flash anything myself every time there is an update for the phone, so using a single firmware seems to be the best option.

To clarify, here is the options with the sim card inserted, and then removed. I also posted the message that appears when looking at a group message with the sim inserted.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171027-144734.jpg
    Screenshot_20171027-144734.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 160
  • _20171027_150346.JPG
    _20171027_150346.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 162
  • Screenshot_20171026-011609.jpg
    Screenshot_20171026-011609.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 165
  • Screenshot_20171026-011605.jpg
    Screenshot_20171026-011605.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 158

Heinous

Sep 15, 2007
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Back on the original topic of this thread, it seems like the signal indicator is showing more bars than it used to before the Oreo update. If so, there is even less reason to use this mixed firmware method instead of simply flashing any version other than US. Now, if someone manages to figure out how to flash the necessary files over from the XZ1C to enable T-Mobile VOLTE in the US on the XZP, that would be well worth the trouble.

pbarrette

Aug 7, 2012
Alabama
Back on the original topic of this thread, it seems like the signal indicator is showing more bars than it used to before the Oreo update. If so, there is even less reason to use this mixed firmware method instead of simply flashing any version other than US. Now, if someone manages to figure out how to flash the necessary files over from the XZ1C to enable T-Mobile VOLTE in the US on the XZP, that would be well worth the trouble.
Have you seen the thread here?

It may be possible to just flash the OEM sin from the ZX1c to the XZP.
Far more likely to work if your XZP is on Oreo. Check out the thread from my post onwards if anyone's willing to try it.

Reactions: VeixES and Heinous

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As no one has done a step by step manual for dummies like me...

HI, would you mind to create a step by step manual of what you did, so we all can enjoy the finger print unlock feature and the good signal, please?

Cheers

Hi,

a few days ago i asked if someone can create a step by step manual for dummies like me, and no one has done it. Therefore i put some effort, and risk, and i tried myself. Open hundreds of XDA developers pages, and at the end this is what i found outÑ

1.- Download XperiFir from here version 5 in my case.
    2.- Click on Xperia XZ Premium Maple, then in G8142 dual, then in Central Europe, finally on the right side click on the 45.0.a.5.1; this will start the process and download 3 files which it will unzip for a total of 2.75GB
    attachment.php

3.- Download New Flashear from here [Updated for Oreo]
    4.- Copy to the folder where you unzip Newflashear the following files:
    attachment.php

as you can see in the right side i have all the files from the European Version, and i copied to the left side (where the newflasher.exe is) the needed files

5.- in this folder, create a folder call partition and unzip all the partition.zip files in there.
    6.- Check that you have the boot, flash_session and Partition folder. in the Boot folder you should see this:
    attachment.php

and in the Partition folder this:
    attachment.php

7.- Turn off your Sony Xperia XZ Premium, press the volume down button and plug the Usb C cable to the phone and the other part to the Computer
    8.- Run newflasher.exe (I did as Admin to be sure it will run with no restriction).
    8a.- Newflasher will be asking you two questions, type n and then press enter on both questions [Update for OREO]
    9.- Wait and enjoy it will tell you when to unplug it and turn on your device.

Extra, in my case it took me a few tries to turn it on. What i think i found out is that if I press Volume Up and Power ON, it does power on.

Enjoy your previous disabled feature, now finally enabled.
    So in the world of Sony, I'm very unfamiliar with the flashing process but through trial and errors i would like correction if there needs to be one and if my method is valid i would recommend it for US version buyers. So when i originally flashed the International version i had bad signal problems, so naturally i figured it was the modem. Spent near a day flashing different versions and the signal was still horrible compared to the us version which had me ready to return the phone and just buy the international version. After a trying a last method (since moving the US version modem to the European rom folder didn't work) I tried only flashing these files and viola, mobile signal back up to were it should be. I flashed back the US version and only flashed these files, so far no problems at all since yesterday, maybe there is an easier method that can be discussed, but for me, flashing the US modem didn't help my signal and call issues. attached is the files i flashed.

p3voyiZ
    The signal "issue" is purely cosmetic.
    As I have said earlier, US gets one more signal bar compared to row. The actual signal power stays exactly same between the two.
    I have been watching that thread (because I'd consider swapping to an XZ1 for VOLTE but not to the Compact) but haven't seen anything clear enough to indicate that it might work. I'm willing to try it out, but I'l need some instructions.
    The way to test it would be to do a clean flash using the below instructions.
    This will result in a full wipe, so be sure you have backed up your data first.

1] Download XperiFirm.

2] Download newflasher.

3] Use XperiFirm to download the Oreo firmware for your XZP.
    - You can choose whichever international or US variant you feel is best.
    - If you choose the US version, the fingerprint reader will not work.

4] Use XperiFirm to download the XZ1 Compact firmware.

5] XperiFirm downloads the firmware into a folder named with the firmware version.
    - Example: G8141_Customized FR_1309-2186_47.1.A.3.254_R2B and G8441_Customized US_1310-4371_47.1.A.2.281_R8B

6] In the G8141_Customized FR_1309-2186_47.1.A.3.254_R2B folder, will be a file called oem_X-FLASH-ALL-42E5.sin.
    - The filename may not have "42E5" in it. That's what the ID number was for N, but I haven't downloaded an XZP O firmware yet.
    - Rename that file to oem_X-FLASH-ALL-42E5.bak. We want to keep it in case something goes wrong, but we don't want to flash it.

7] In the G8441_Customized US_1310-4371_47.1.A.2.281_R8B folder will be a file named oem_X-FLASH-ALL-C93B.
    - Copy that file to the G8141_Customized FR_1309-2186_47.1.A.3.254_R2B folder.

8] Open the newflasher_v10.rar file and extract the executable for your platform.
    - If you're on Windows, it's the .exe file.
    - Put the executable into the G8141_Customized FR_1309-2186_47.1.A.3.254_R2B folder.

9] Run newflasher.exe and type "Y" then hit "ENTER" to extract the GordonGate.7z driver.
    - This step is only needed if you don't have the flash-mode drivers installed already.
    - If you've flashed your phone from this computer before, you can probably skip this step.

10] Put your phone in flash mode by:
    - Powering off your phone.
    - Hold the Volume Down button.
    - While still holding the button down, plug the phone into your computer.

11] If you don't have the flash-mode drivers already installed, install them now.
    - Extract the GordonGate.7z file into a location outside of the G8141_Customized FR_1309-2186_47.1.A.3.254_R2B folder.
    - Go to Device Manager and find the Unknown Android device with the yellow triangle on it.
    - It should have a Hardware ID of USB\VID_0FCE&PID_B00B.
    - Update the driver by choosing the "Browse My Computer" option and navigating to the GordonGate folder.

12] Run newflasher.exe and type "N" and enter to the two questions.
    - Your phone should now be getting flashed with the "FR" (or whichever you've selected) XZP firmware and the "US" OEM sin file from the XZ1c.

If everything flashes without error, unplug the phone from your computer and power it on.
    If it boots correctly, check to see if you have VoLTE available.

If it all goes wrong, or does not flash correctly:
    1] Delete the oem_X-FLASH-ALL-C93B file from the G8141_Customized FR_1309-2186_47.1.A.3.254_R2B folder.
    2] Rename the oem_X-FLASH-ALL-42E5.bak file to oem_X-FLASH-ALL-42E5.sin
    3] Run newflasher.exe and type "N" and enter to the two questions.

That will return you to fresh, unchanged "FR" firmware.

If something does go wrong during flashing, it would help if you saved the messages from the console into a text file and attached them in a post.
    Have you seen the thread here?

It may be possible to just flash the OEM sin from the ZX1c to the XZP.
    Far more likely to work if your XZP is on Oreo. Check out the thread from my post onwards if anyone's willing to try it.